PDA

View Full Version : First ride of the year

Frank
03-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Today was my first ride of 2007. Ice storm and working all month on that took care of January. Weather and work and daughter and events and stuff took care of February.

I had waxed and tuned up the Paramount one evening last weekend knowing eventually I would get a chance to take it for a ride. Today was 77 and sunny and light NE wind so got in 35 miles on the Paramount while my daughter went bowling with friends.

I didn't know what to expect because I have done absolutely no exercising, not even walking around the block. As I got dressed and filled the water bottles I wondered if I would even be able to get out of the neighborhood without having to stop to catch my breath!

As I clicked in and rode down the street I felt, not just remembered, how much I enjoy getting out and riding. I took a familiar route and didn't pay any attention to my bike computer, but instead noticed how bright and clean and fresh it was outside. Not once during the entire ride did I feel any sense of working hard or being sore or out of shape or tired...that will probably come tonight or tomorrow morning ;)

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I never even noticed the bike as I rode. I looked at it in the garage as I got ready, and put it up when I returned home, but in between I never gave a thought to the bike itself or pedaling or shifting or fit. It took me where I was going and let me have a wonderful ride without ever being a conscious thought.

Riding helps me keep my sanity and helps me cope with everything else that goes on in my life. Not riding at all this year was taking away an outlet for my excess energy and I was missing out on one of the things that brings me the most joy. I am ready for more!

jjb
03-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I know what you mean. I got out yesterday for the first time since I started a new job in the fall. The weather wasn't that great (overcast) but it was great to get out and just ride. I didn't notice the bike much either but I think in my case that was because of all the suffering I was doing ;)

It was still great to get out, and I know exactly what you mean about it keeping you sane. It can be hard with all the stuff that goes with work family etc. but I'm going to try to make more time to ride this year.

Cheers

rePhil
03-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Living in Florida is a double edge sword. Year round, but boring (compared to most forumites)
Most of my riding is the commute to my job at a special need school.
I cut my "fun" rides to one weekend day.
But I can say I enjoy cycling as much as I ever have.The thrill is still there,everyday.

Keith A
03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Way to go Frank!!!