PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma , keep it or sell it ?

Smiley
03-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Now that my wife has a new CDA that fits to at "T" and with up-graded 10 speed components what do I do with her 1999 circa Legend Ti frame. I know if she rides it ,it will only be during Iffy weather forcasts for her ride. So with the crazy stupid prices that I have seen used Ti bikes go for what should I do with her old Ti frame. Its a 50 cm ST by 52 cm TT and a 74 STA with a 7 cm BB drop ( measures like a 51 cm bike if it had a 8 cm BB drop ). I would sell the Frame and Fork and head set if I thought I could get reasonable money for it, if not where would I buy a replacement given that this frame after I modified the stem angle works just fine, the new CDA works better though. What would you do with a good old bike?

92degrees
03-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Give it to me! Apparently your wife and I are the same size...

72gmc
03-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I agree that you're not likely to get what you want for it. Have you thought about what else you could do with it? Singlespeed conversion is obvious, but what possibilities could a new fork open up? Is there room in between the chainstays to warrant a conversion to canti brakes? Adding rack mounts isn't hard. Etc, etc.

Seems a great platform for any "what ifs" you or your wife have ever thought up. I'd exhaust that list before I put it up for sale.

AgilisMerlin
03-10-2007, 04:07 PM
this might be blasphemous.................

ask your wife what she wants you to do with.

do what she says

forget about it

make sure you don't enjoy her new bike more than she does.

amerliN

93legendti
03-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Keep it.
It is a back up, rain, beater, commute, ss/fixed, loaner for a friend bike. Too valuable to get rid of.

djg
03-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Couplers for a travel bike?

Smiley, as you well know, some folks get just a huge amount of utility out of having a backup bike and some just don't. Talk to her about what she wants and go ahead and let her mull it over a bit--nothing hangs on your having an answer today or this week or this month, right?

The market thinks that used bikes that look and ride very much like new bikes are worth much, much less than the new ones. For _monetary_ return on your investment in the bike, you'll get killed when you sell it. If you go to replace it in a year -- and want to replace it with a new one -- you'll get killed again. OTOH, if you're not going to replace it with round about just the same thing, or anything, that's neither here nor there. If she won't enjoy having the bike, half or even a third of its retail value might be nicer than another bike sculpture in the garage.

Plus, wasn't TT looking for a 52 cm frame for a friend of his?

Smiley
03-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Couplers for a travel bike?

Smiley, as you well know, some folks get just a huge amount of utility out of having a backup bike and some just don't. Talk to her about what she wants and go ahead and let her mull it over a bit--nothing hangs on your having an answer today or this week or this month, right?

The market thinks that used bikes that look and ride very much like new bikes are worth much, much less than the new ones. For _monetary_ return on your investment in the bike, you'll get killed when you sell it. If you go to replace it in a year -- and want to replace it with a new one -- you'll get killed again. OTOH, if you're not going to replace it with round about just the same thing, or anything, that's neither here nor there. If she won't enjoy having the bike, half or even a third of its retail value might be nicer than another bike sculpture in the garage.

Plus, wasn't TT looking for a 52 cm frame for a friend of his?

Cutting this frame up is a possibility for making it a coupler. I have spoken to Belinky about this but the top coupler would need to be placed in the front of the TT due to the CC tubes. A little weird but it works. Thanks Smiley

a winter back up bike is where this bike will be if nothing else hapens

93legendti
03-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Smiley, you could also try trading it in the Classifieds section for something else that tickles your wife's (or your) fancy.

shaq-d
03-11-2007, 11:55 AM
sell it... when u find the babe u love, u don't keep the other one... usually.

sd