PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

Mud
03-10-2007, 12:53 PM
The only place I seem to get cold on a ride is my hands. Today, at 32 degrees, I lasted an hour. I tried using surgical gloves with Assos Glove liners and Assos Thermax gloves and my fingertips were frozen when I got home.

I have the Assos system that includes the Lobster covers but this is no better. I have talked to the people at MooseMitts about a road version and they are "testing" one. My friends who ride in this weather think that freezing one's hands to the point of frostbite is macho.

I have looked into MC gloves with heaters but figure that carrying around a 12 volt battery on the bike is a little much and besides, they seem to be effective at 40 degrees.

Many have no problems in the cold but if you ride when it is cold and really have a hand problem, what do you use. :confused:

93legendti
03-10-2007, 01:05 PM
http://www.ibexwear.com/F06/Products.php?Gender=Mens&Category=1051
I have the Loden and Kilo gloves, as well as the Loden mittens. Very well made, very warm. Order a size up so you can use liners if necessary and you should be set.

PBWrench
03-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Assos Thermax down to 30; PI Amphibs below. But my wife tells me I have warm hands.

Serotta_Andrew
03-10-2007, 01:49 PM
When you eat red pepper, its active ingredient, capsaicin, increases the circulation in your toes and fingers. When you put cayenne (or red pepper spices) into your glove or on the hnads, you're doing the same thing... topically. For some people, the warming sensation happens immediately, for others, the heat gradually increases over time. (It also depends on how much you use.)

Cayenne causes the blood vessels under the skin to dilate, thus stimulating extra blood flow and providing warmth

regularguy412
03-10-2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7600

TBLS
03-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Try Toko/Yoko Cross Country Ski Gloves...they work better than any winter 'bike' glove and cost ~ $35.00

coylifut
03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
When you eat red pepper, its active ingredient, capsaicin, increases the circulation in your toes and fingers. When you put cayenne (or red pepper spices) into your glove or on the hnads, you're doing the same thing... topically. For some people, the warming sensation happens immediately, for others, the heat gradually increases over time. (It also depends on how much you use.)

Cayenne causes the blood vessels under the skin to dilate, thus stimulating extra blood flow and providing warmth

yeah Mud, listen to Andrew. Sounds like you have a circulation problem, not a glove problem. Keeping your hands warm at 32 shouldn't be difficult.

Cool. I hav another excuse to eat chips and hot salsa.

rwsaunders
03-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Try a pair of fleece gloves from TJ Maxx or Marshall's; they can be pretty cheap. Do you move your hands around on the bars? Don't pick your nose after using the cayenne.

Mud
03-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Never thought about circulation but I am old so maybe my extremities are dying. Appreciate the suggestions from everyone. It is now 53 degrees out (about 4:40PM) so maybe I should have waited.

vaxn8r
03-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Try some of the hand warmers they sell in ski shops or sporting goods stores. They are very thin and fit in the palm of your glove. They last about 6 hours. You think they might not help with the fingers but when your hands are warm your fingers will be OK too. They work. You can also buy them in bulk.

H.Frank Beshear
03-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Just make to wash your hands before the break or they wont be the only part of your body that's hot :beer: . (And no you CAN'T ask how I came to know this to be true :p )

AgilisMerlin
03-10-2007, 04:20 PM
For the past 10-15 years

i have only used SWIX cross country ski gloves with leather palms.

works for me:

amerliN

Bradford
03-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Ski gloves.