PDA

View Full Version : 650b in DC

chandler
03-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi,

I'm considering trying to convert an old Klein Quantum to 650b, but based on what I've read online I'm really not sure if I could get the tires to fit in the stays. Are there any forumites in the DC area with 650b bikes who would be willing to meet up and let me try to fit wheels into a frame?

Thanks,
Eli

Ken Robb
03-10-2007, 11:56 AM
the newest Rivendell Reader has a lot of info and measurements to help determine a frame's suitability for 650b conversion. There may also be info hidden on the Riv website. They tell you where to measure to see if there is clearance for the tires and enough reach for the brakes, etc.

Kirk Pacenti
03-10-2007, 12:42 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/650b/

rpm
03-10-2007, 08:32 PM
By all means do your measurements and try to find a wheel, but my guess is that the conversion going to work great and that you're going to love it. The reason I say that is that I took my new 650b conversion out today for its maiden voyage, and it was terrific.

My conversion, pics of which I'll post shortly, is based on my ti crit-oriented bike from the mid-90's. It has tight clearances, short chainstays, and a high bottom bracket. Does that describe your Klein Quantum? Bikes like this actually work better for conversion that do touring-oriented bikes with long stays and low bottom brackets.

If it does, I hope you don't have your heart set on installing Fatty Rumpkins and hitting the single track, because it probably won't work. But if you go with a narrow tire like Michelin Megamiums or Grand Bois' it will probably work fine. My bike currently has the Michelins and narrow Honjo fenders, which wedge perfectly between the stays (had to use clamps to attach them). The Tektro sidepulls are set in the middle of the adjustment range. The hammered Honjos look like a million bucks next to the satin ti.

Anyway, I was surprised by the ride. Compared to 700c Open Pros and Pro Races, the Velocity rims and tires are heavier, but because the wheels are smaller they're not that much heavier. Pumped to 75 lbs, the wheels roll along very well on the pavement and absorb bumps much better than the 700 x 23s. Perfect for rough payment and light gravel.

I was surprised, though, by how fast you can wind up those smaller wheels. I'm not saying you're going to win a town line sprint on them, but if you're cruising along on a bike path and some yuppie poser blows by you on his Madone, you can be on his wheel in no time.

I hope it works out for you.

palincss
03-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi,

I'm considering trying to convert an old Klein Quantum to 650b, but based on what I've read online I'm really not sure if I could get the tires to fit in the stays. Are there any forumites in the DC area with 650b bikes who would be willing to meet up and let me try to fit wheels into a frame?

Thanks,
Eli

I'd be happy to. I've PM'd you.