PDA

View Full Version : Good Advice on Knee Warmers Swoop, Thanks

Fivethumbs
03-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I don't post a whole lot on this forum because it is more of an educational outlet for me. I like to read and learn from the comments from others with more cycling experience than me, although I will chime in whenever I think I have something useful to offer. Anyway, I learned something recently that I thought I would share. Following the advice Swoop gave in another thread, I bought some knee warmers. I had never used them or ever even really thought about them before. If it was cold I wore tights, if it was warm I wore shorts. But ever since I got into my 40's I have had some minor nagging knee pain. It is better some days than others. I tried some Glucosamine with Chondroitin, which helped but didn't completely eliminate the pain I was having. Anyway I bought some knee warmers and rode with them a few times on days that were in the high 60's to low 70's - days that I would have normally worn only shorts - and I really felt the difference. I didn't feel too hot but my knees felt great! I'm sold on them now. I would definitely recommend knee warmers to anyone else whose knees don't feel that great. Thanks again Swoop.

swoop
03-10-2007, 12:16 AM
hey, i'm glad to hear it works for you too. i wear mine as much as i can (bergamo is the current fave and verge too). real men wear warmers.

dave thompson
03-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Nice pic of you Swoop. Pink becomes you.

bironi
03-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Ibex are great.

zank
03-10-2007, 08:03 AM
During spring mtb racing and fall cross racing, my knee and leg warmers become saturated with embrocation because I warm up with the warmers on over the embrocation before I peel them off to race. The stuff is petro based, so it doesn't come out fully in the wash. I tell ya, it's like having a fully broken-in perfect baseball glove. The residual atomic balm makes them practically water proof and it gives your legs a little extra heat. I guess what I am trying to say is I love my knee warmer too. I just love them a little more after I break them in. :)

93legendti
03-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Ibex are great.
I agree. Everything I have bought from Ibex works great. Their Energy tights are REAL nice.

I recently bought a pair of DeFeet wool knee warmers and they are also very nice.

scrooge
03-10-2007, 08:53 AM
I have a pair of unused PI's--large--for sale if anyone wants them...

swoop
03-10-2007, 04:08 PM
zank.. i was gonna write the same thing but i stopped myself because i get tired of my own voice. i mix my own embrocation with baby oil and tiger balm...
the residue gives me the warm fuzzies.

pdxmech13
03-10-2007, 04:12 PM
the warm fuzzies go on the chamois, rite

Kevan
03-10-2007, 05:52 PM
when it's REALLY freakin' cold outside, put your knee warmers on before you stretch on the tights (unpadded version).

Knee warmers: someone shoulda gotten a medal for inventing them.

manet
03-10-2007, 06:06 PM

pdxmech13
03-10-2007, 08:15 PM
did shino make that drawing ? :beer:

Keith A
03-10-2007, 09:13 PM
I recently bought a pair of DeFeet wool knee warmers and they are also very nice.I've been wanting to try the wool versions of DeFeet's kneekers as I have their standard version. What are your thoughts on these? Are they any warmer? I have some of DeFeet's wool socks and they are okay, but I don't like them as much as my SmartWools.

Steelhead
03-10-2007, 10:03 PM
I've been wanting to try the wool versions of DeFeet's kneekers as I have their standard version. What are your thoughts on these? Are they any warmer? I have some of DeFeet's wool socks and they are okay, but I don't like them as much as my SmartWools.

I wear the wool DeFeets and they are great - love them. I am always surprised that Smartwool doesn't make a pair. Smartwool for socks and DeFeet for wool kneewarmers works great for me.

Birddog
03-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I also have DeFeet wool Kneekers and they are great. So are the wool armwarmers. They saved my butt in the rainy and miserable Triple Bypass last year.

Birddog

72gmc
03-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I am a convert to knee warmers this winter. Along with arm warmers, they make all of the clothing I wear for cycling more versatile.

rwsaunders
03-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Scrooge:

PM sent.

Thanks

atmo
03-11-2007, 03:01 PM
when archibald sat on my lap in san jose,
my knees warmed up quite fast atmo

Archibald
03-11-2007, 04:49 PM
when archibald sat on my lap in san jose,
my knees warmed up quite fast atmo
Not true. Never sat on your lap. The only lap I warmed was JMewkills and that was only because he kept stuffing 20's in my g-string!

Keith A
03-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the input on the wool arm & knee warmers from DeFeet. I think I'll have to give these a try myself. Where did you guys purchase these? I know DeFeet sells them directly, but I'm not sure I have seen the wool version anywhere else.

93legendti
03-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the input on the wool arm & knee warmers from DeFeet. I think I'll have to give these a try myself. Where did you guys purchase these? I know DeFeet sells them directly, but I'm not sure I have seen the wool version anywhere else.

Sorry I didn't see your earlier question. I got mine, with the DeFeet wool arm warmers, on eBay. The dealer claimed Swobo makes them. I think they were around $25 each. I haven't tried them yet alone because I just got them in the last 2 months and it was pretty cold here up until Saturday. Both the wool knee and arm warmers feel warmer than their non-wool counterparts when I put them on inside the house. I will know more this week as the temps will be 50-60 degrees. I can tell you that they put the Riv Woolies knee and arm warmers to shame--stretchier, thicker and warmer. The DeFeet arm warmers fit much better too.

Steelhead
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Try your local bike shop - it's fun! :D

Birddog
03-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Where did you guys purchase these?

I ordered mine from Performance last year. My LBS didn't have them. I think they have a much wider temp range than the synthetics, and they definitely work when soaking wet.

Birddog