PDA

View Full Version : CFchainstay flex on the trainer

Allez!
03-09-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm hoping the weather will shift soon, making this not immeadiately relevant.

When I have my carbon fiber frame locked in the trainer and stand up to pedal I hear some creaks and pops that I don't get on the road.

I'm wondering if the trainer is too restrictive and doesn't allow proper chainstay flex. Also, worried about weakening the frame.

Look 585 / UPS trainer ,if that matters

Opinions, theories?

Erik.Lazdins
03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I would suspect the creaking is from the interface of the trainer and your skewer. Some skewers fit trainers better than others.

Additionally going too tight on the trainer may increase the creaking.

BumbleBeeDave
03-09-2007, 08:16 PM
. . . because I don't even put my Legend Ti on a trainer. I know I may just be paranoid, but to my mind your frame is made to flex as you ride, even though you may not be able to see it do so. Clamping it in the trainer doesn't let it do that and puts undue stress on the frame. I can see my steel MTB frame flex when I'm riding the trainer. But my MTB is 12 years old and steel and if it breaks, not such a big deal. Not so with my precious Ti Serotta . . .

BBD

Chad Engle
03-10-2007, 08:42 AM
I posted a similar question after I put my CDA on a trainer. ST stays.

Everyone told me to butch up, it won't be a problem. 2 winters later, bike is ok. I don't ride on the trainer everyday, maybe once a week in the winter. YMMV.

rockdude
03-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I have the same problem with my Ti frame. When I hear the noise I can look back and see the tire moving horizontally on the roller. I can make the noise stop if I really tighten down the skewer holders and tighten the roller to the tire. The tire stopped moving horizontally and the noise is gone. Is it bad for my frame, I don't know?

regularguy412
03-10-2007, 08:59 AM
I have the same problem with my Ti frame. When I hear the noise I can look back and see the tire moving horizontally on the roller. I can make the noise stop if I really tighten down the skewer holders and tighten the roller to the tire. The tire stopped moving horizontally and the noise is gone. Is it bad for my frame, I don't know?

It's prolly not too bad on the frame, but your bearings will take a beating -- not to mention, it's easy to bend a rear axle ( don't ask me how I know).

Mike in AR

BumbleBeeDave
03-10-2007, 09:06 AM
. . . because I have to tighten it down a WHOLE lot to avoid shifting back and forth too much on the trainer.

BBD

Allez!
03-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks, guys!

I'll keep it limited.

Had a great ride outside today - now we're talkin'!