PDA

View Full Version : Do you or don't you...

onekgguy
03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
...stretch? also, do you stretch primarily before or after riding...or both? i've never been able to get into a stretching routine but i know i should. for those who have found the benefits of it maybe you could elaborate for me so i might be more inclined to finally make it a part of my routine. thanks.

Kevin g

Grant McLean
03-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I don't stretch specifically for cycling, and never before a ride.
But I do spend 20 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week doing stretches,
mostly during the winter period when i spend a lot of time at the
gym. I think stretching for specific issues is the way to go.
I have tight IT bands, and stretching them regularly really has
prevented any issues for me, since i also run quite a bit.

g

Kevan
03-09-2007, 11:08 AM
for about 8 hours before I ride, but I do that for everything I do.

Nope not me.

Sandy
03-09-2007, 11:11 AM
for about 8 hours before I ride, but I do that for everything I do.

Nope not me.

I just don't understand you anymore....I just don't....With all the stretching that you and I do together, why would you ever consider extra stretching..... :rolleyes: :) :)

Softly Slowly Stretching Smiling Satisfied Sick Sandy

spiderman
03-09-2007, 11:39 AM
depending on how much time i have
and how tight i might feel
or how far i'm planning to ride...
10-15 minutes is typical
but not right before i ride.
i do a modified morning yoga routine
that seems to work for me.
if i hold positions longer
it may take 30 minutes.
ideal for me is before bed
and first thing in the morning.

Too Tall
03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
2X/day for < 5 mins.

weatherman
03-09-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't stretch specifically for cycling, and never before a ride.
But I do spend 20 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week doing stretches,
mostly during the winter period when i spend a lot of time at the
gym. I think stretching for specific issues is the way to go.
I have tight IT bands, and stretching them regularly really has
prevented any issues for me, since i also run quite a bit.

g

What stretches do you use for your IT band tightness? I have yet to find a stretch that works "really" well. Just curious, thanks!

And yes, I stretch daily due to tight hamstrings, quads, IT bands etc---probably about 10 minutes a day, perhaps more before/after long rides.

Kevan
03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I just don't understand you anymore....I just don't....With all the stretching that you and I do together, why would you ever consider extra stretching..... :rolleyes: :) :) Softly Slowly Stretching Smiling Satisfied Sick Sandy

Is anyone else unnerved by how this guy's mind works?

Ginger
03-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Due to accidents and surgeries, I stretch every day. usually for a total of more than 20 minutes, but never before a ride and I'm very careful to stretch muscles that need it and their opposite counterparts if applicable.

I never really stretch for riding. and never just before riding. Experience shows I injure myself that way.

I also perform self traction for my back multiple times a day.

yeehawfactor
03-09-2007, 12:30 PM
yes yes yes.

had an issue last year where my hammies were unequally tight, causing me to sit off center, yielding all kinds of fun times. now i stretch daily.

Fat Robert
03-09-2007, 12:35 PM
20 minutes every morning. mellows me out. i don't think that being able to plant my chin below my tibial tuberosity helps my cycling one bit, but it feels good.

Ray
03-09-2007, 01:04 PM
I do yoga for more than 20 minutes somewhere between a few and several times a week. I don't stretch immediately before or after riding, but I have to do something when I get up in the morning to work the kinks out before it all starts working right and not hurting.

-Ray

fhernandez1960
03-09-2007, 01:10 PM
My son is a competitive middle distance runner and his coaches advise against streching before running. Their rationale is found on a theory that streching cold muscles increases the chances of micro-tears in the muscles. So what they do is mild streching at the end of a training run.

I do have a hang-up inversion table to help loosen up my back muscles.

francis.

Karin Kirk
03-09-2007, 01:38 PM
I also perform self traction for my back multiple times a day.

Do you charge admission for said performances?
And, how long is the wait list to see this?

(Sorry Ginger, it was just too easy!)

Ginger
03-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Do you charge admission for said performances?
And, how long is the wait list to see this?

(Sorry Ginger, it was just too easy!)

Honey, for you, free. Anytime you want. ;)

I'd even let *you* help.

:banana:

gt6267a
03-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I have gotten out of the habit, but as a left over from my water polo days, at least I used to ride for 5-10min very softly to warm up and then stretch. This prevents the cold stretch tearing discussed already.

After biking, I always stretch. Same routine as I did in high school. Not really cycling specific, but it gets the big stuff.

dgauthier
03-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I stretch my hamstrings before every ride, using a technique from "The Cylist's Bible" if I recall correctly. I hate stretching with a passion, but I'll continue to do it, because I can now put my palms flat on the floor with my knees locked, which strikes me as a good thing.

Karin Kirk
03-09-2007, 02:35 PM
I learned something recently about stretching, which yeehawfactor alluded to as well. Many of us (most?) are asymmetrical in ways we don't know about. Stretching can make this either better or worse, depending on whether or not you know about your own personal geometry.

I recently went to a sports allignment doc/chiropractor because I had mild lower back pain that was set off by a specific combination of activities. The doc had me walk all around and touch my toes and stand on one foot, etc, etc, and then took a few photos that he projected on the screen so I could see all the ways in which I'm misaligned. The upshot is that my quads are short and my hamstrings are too long. As a result, my pelvis is always tilted forward which causes trouble in my hips and back. He gave me a bunch of very specific and very strange exercises and stretches, plus the advice to not stretch my hamstrings because that will only make that worse. He said I should stretch my quads several times a day.

I followed his perscriptions and the lower back pain was gone in less than a month. I find this all to be quite interesting!

Okie dokie Ginger - I'll stop by and I'll bring another box of chocolates!

Fivethumbs
03-09-2007, 03:01 PM
My son is a competitive middle distance runner and his coaches advise against streching before running. Their rationale is found on a theory that streching cold muscles increases the chances of micro-tears in the muscles. So what they do is mild streching at the end of a training run.

francis.

I was taught this as well. When I first get on my bike I putt around for about 10 minutes to get warmed up. Then I stretch out about 5-10 minutes after the ride.

stevep
03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
i know i should stretch.

i never stretch anymore.

sorry.

Kevan
03-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Honey, for you, free. Anytime you want. ;)

I'd even let *you* help.

:banana:

Please!

rockdude
03-10-2007, 09:13 AM
I hate to stretch, I don't stretch. If you look at the research on stretching you will find a lot of it that states stretching is bad for you. I know this is against common wisdom but there is some good research pointing out the bad side of stretching. The latest I read said Stretching decreses your power and speed. I know there is a right time and place for it but I only do it when I have an issue or problem like a tightness or soreness that need a little help.