PDA

View Full Version : Titanium stems - thoughts?

sbornia
03-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Howdy -

I searched the archives for some info on titanium stems, but haven't come up with exactly what I'm looking for. I know the Moots and Seven ti stems typically get rave reviews. Any thoughts on what they "feel" like? How they affect comfort, out-of-the-saddle climbing, etc. compared to a typical aluminum stem like a Ritchey?

Thanks...

catulle
03-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Well, the titanium stems save some $200 in dead weight, atmo...

sbornia
03-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, in other words, does a ti stem offer benefits warranting the $350+ price tag? :)

gdw
03-09-2007, 10:09 AM
No.

wooly
03-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't think they offer any benefits over standard aluminum stems. I had a moots stem years ago (on my Moots) and it looked great but offered no tangible benefits. I don't think anyone here will dissuade you from spending the $$$ on a quality built stem from one of those fine builders on looks alone.

If you like it, get it.

catulle
03-09-2007, 10:24 AM
There are poorly built stems, of course, and a broken stem could send you to the cemetery. But paying $350 for a 5" piece of welded tube I think is... well, a bit much, let's say. Now, for Moots to take someone out of the line to make a stem of which they only sell but a few, I can see where a cost accountant would recommend a hefty price. But that's the modern world. Some charge you an arm and a leg for welding titanium and others for gluing plastic. Different strokes for different folks.

dave thompson
03-09-2007, 10:25 AM
The advantages of the SEVEN (I have one) and Moots stems is not the weight savings but the ability to have one custom made to your needs, just like the frame builders.

obtuse
03-09-2007, 10:30 AM
titanium stems are only awesome if quill and connected on one end to a pair of 3t first generation gay bars, and a blue de rosa titanio on the other. in all other instances they are ugly, stupid, expensive and look out of place on any bike.

if jmewkill doesn't rock it; i don't want it imho.

obtuse

michael white
03-09-2007, 10:39 AM
oh I see:

I can't have a cheap frame and expensive stem, I have to have a cheap stem and expensive frame, otherwise I'm a total fool and fully deserve derision. Uh, ok no problem!

(sort of kidding.)

Grant McLean
03-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Custom is cool.

I have a 26.0 Seven ti stem on my Axiom ti. Just for the heck of it, I got a 10.4cm
and 78' :) It's also specifically 1" threadless!

My Legend Ti with an F1 fork has a quill Serotta ti stem on it. (10.5 -17')
I remember them saying that they designed it to feel like a cinelli xa.

g

crossjunkee
03-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I have a Moots Ti stem on my mountain bike for these reasons, it looks cool, and it matches the frame. I can't tell one difference between the Ti stem and the Thomson it replaced.

Serotta PETE
03-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I have had both ALUMINUM and Ti stems over the years

- for me they all feel the same - if they are right length/angle
- No discernible difference for me in comfort, strength, etc..
- Now I pretty much use Ritchey or Easton (just my preference, or should
I say that is what Mike at the big "C" recommends over a bottle of red.)
- I like the look of the MOOTS and SEVEN but not th $$ - for half the price I
would hae a MOOTS stem. :)

In summary, any of the name brands work fine.......Which do you like the looks and price of is key :cool:

PETE

Howdy -

I searched the archives for some info on titanium stems, but haven't come up with exactly what I'm looking for. I know the Moots and Seven ti stems typically get rave reviews. Any thoughts on what they "feel" like? How they affect comfort, out-of-the-saddle climbing, etc. compared to a typical aluminum stem like a Ritchey?

Thanks...

michael white
03-09-2007, 10:53 AM
actually, once fit is taken care of, I agree that it's hard to argue over stem material. My friend has a ti ITM quill on his Sachs, it's a finishing touch.

I think 2 bolts vs. 4 might be a slightly more significant question than ti vs. alloy.

djg
03-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I dunno if I have any global opinion here. My road bike has an aluminum stem, but my cross bike has a ti quill stem--a cinelli grammo--that I bought NOS just last year for way, way, way below the 350 bucks folks are discussing. I think I paid about 60 or 70 bucks, actually.

So far, I have no complaints whatsoever with performance, although I'd be hard pressed to opine about performance advantages as well. I've got one of the rainbow ones. I think it looks cool, but to each his or her own on that matter.

BoulderGeek
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
What about carbon stems?

Is the risk of breakage worth it?

Any benefits other than looks and some vibro absorption?

sevencyclist
03-09-2007, 01:01 PM
The weight of Ti stem is usually slightly heavier than that of aluminum alloy stem. The only theoretical benefit of the material is the way failure occurs in Titanium vs Aluminum.

Titanium and steel supposedly flexes and progressively bend when they fail whereas aluminum alloy usually fail catastrophically (fracture breakage). So potentially this can make a difference if one were to have stem failure.

Of course, stem failure rate is very, very, very, very, very, very low. With that said, one guy I know was on his mountain bike turning at the edge of the trail when the aluminum stem broke. After out for a few months with concussion and large laceration of face, he went out and got Moots Ti bar and stem.

I think the risk for road failure is lower than that of MTB. You have to consider the bar when you talk about the stem as well. Last I checked, there's very few non carbon, non aluminum alloy road bars.

Good luck with your decision.

sbornia
03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for your opinions and experiences. I was trying to understand if a ti stem would take the edge off an otherwise stiff ride, but it sounds like survey says "no" for the most part. Now I don't "have" to spend $500+ on a new stem, and bars to fit it, and time to research it to death.

("Really, honey, I actually *save* money by reading that bike forum.")

Given today's other thread about frame materials (and interweb nonsense), I recognize that tire size and air pressure are far more impactful on ride comfort. As I suspected, and as you all knew already, of course. Thanks again.

sevencyclist
03-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks to everyone for your opinions and experiences. I was trying to understand if a ti stem would take the edge off an otherwise stiff ride, but it sounds like survey says "no" for the most part.

Seven does customize their Ti stem, so potentially you can spec out what type of stiffness/dampening you desire. They used to have the designation of S1, S2, and S3. However, I don't know if they still do that. I also wonder how much difference it makes.

kestrel
03-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I have an older Cinelli Grammo on my Legend Ti. It replaced an even older Aluminum stem. I see no difference other than a permanently lighter wallet. Years ago it was a conversation piece, now it's just an expensive older stem that performs the same as any other stem I own.

SimonC
03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I had an Ibis Ti stem on a bike. It weighed 215g, so quite a bit more than a good alloy stem, and it didn't seem to make a difference to the ride. It looked hot though. In the end I sold it because I couldn't justify owning it.

vaxn8r
03-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I think it makes a slight difference but it's more a cool/custom factor.

I have 3 ti stems for sale:

1) Serotta with polished "Serotta": 1" 26.0 120mm -17deg ~150g $75

2) Ibis polished quill: 26.0 -17deg 130mm $75

3) Cinelli Grammo quill 25.8 (?) -17 120mm $50

So, having thought about it, actually ti stems make a HUGE difference. I'd be glad to help someone find out just how much.

regularguy412
03-10-2007, 07:54 AM
I think it makes a slight difference but it's more a cool/custom factor.

I have 3 ti stems for sale:

1) Serotta with polished "Serotta": 1" 26.0 120mm -17deg ~150g $75

2) Ibis polished quill: 26.0 -17deg 130mm $75

3) Cinelli Grammo quill 25.8 (?) -17 120mm $50

So, having thought about it, actually ti stems make a HUGE difference. I'd be glad to help someone find out just how much.

PM sent

saab2000
03-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Ti Stems are cool. At least on my bike. :banana:

quattro
03-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I have a Seven custom Ti stem on my IF Crown Jewel Ti, on page two of this post
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26887&page=2&pp=15
I had IF shot peen it and it matches the rear end of my bike very nicely. It has a very nice built, no decals with more purchase on the bottom, it has mounting bolts for the face place that enter from the rear of the stem instead of the front of the plate, very smart design. It is an expensive stem but I like it.