PDA

View Full Version : Bettini's Specialized Tarmac SL

Peter P.
03-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Did you read the write up in VeloNews of Bettini's Specialized Tarmac SL? The text says he sent Specialized his measurements and they sent him a 52cm frame.

I assume it's stock because most of the major manufacturers don't have the facilities to do custom (specifically Trek), the fact that the replacement frame they sent didn't have the same length top tube, and the frame sizes mentioned are stock sizes (but I'm getting ahead of myself).

So he rejects the 52 because he can't get the bars low enough. Specialized sends him a 49cm frame and he installs a 12cm stem to get the position he wants.

The top tube difference between the two sizes is 518mm vs. 537.

So apparently frame size and top tube length aren't too important for him; he just puts on a stem to get the fit he wants, and goes fast! I mean really, the difference in top tube length between the two sizes is significant considering the small frame size, and certainly installing such a long stem on a small frame will change the weight distribution dramatically towards the front wheel.

So what am I getting at? If Bettini can tolerate such geometry "extremes", are we more adaptable to changes in geometry than we think? This especially hits home because my height is the same as his and normally I would fit the 52cm Specialized he rejected-does that mean I'd also fit the 49 he settled on? I wouldn't dream of riding such a short top tube, even with the long stem, but maybe I should go out and try one?

cs124
03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
<snip>... This especially hits home because my height is the same as his and normally I would fit the 52cm Specialized he rejected-does that mean I'd also fit the 49 he settled on? I wouldn't dream of riding such a short top tube, even with the long stem, but maybe I should go out and try one?

I'm about the same size too and could happily ride either sized frame. Although if forced to choose I'd go for the one that puts the bars at the right height.

120mm stem on a 52cm top tube is not all that wack. I've done it before and it worked fine.

AgilisMerlin
03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
he aint no butcher, baker, nor candlestick maker....................

but he SURE can surf that 49cm frame

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/feb07/california07/california074/toc_stage4_10.jpg

VOILa !

aMERLIn

Larry
03-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Bettini is young and flexible!
Enough said!

coylifut
03-08-2007, 08:16 PM
back before Tom Kellog fit me, I always picked the smallest frame I could get my hands on and still get the bars in the right place. of course it was much easier to do in before the ahead stem era.

isn't bettini the bomb?

mike p
03-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Most people could ride one size smaller or larger than there ideal frame size no problem. With most here it would cause more problems mentally than physicaly

Mike

obtuse
03-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Most people could ride one size smaller or larger than there ideal frame size no problem. With most here it would cause more problems mentally than physicaly

Mike

but the point is bettini couldn't ride the 53 because it's too big for him....there's no way he could get the handlebars in the right place. the issue is not a 120mm stem on a 49cm frame; that's fairly normal considering weight balance, wheelbase, angles geometry and all the rest...a 120 stem in well within range for a racing bicycle...the real issue is that someone at specialized has no freaking clue and gave the mfkin world champion a bike that was way to big for him.....he's lucky dario ain't on the rolodex imho or else there'd be some whacked looking tarmac lining up at paris-nice this weekend.

obtuse

AgilisMerlin
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
but the point is bettini couldn't ride the 53 because it's too big for him....there's no way he could get the handlebars in the right place. the issue is not a 120mm stem on a 49cm frame; that's fairly normal considering weight balance, wheelbase, angles geometry and all the rest...a 120 stem in well within range for a racing bicycle...the real issue is that someone at specialized has no freaking clue and gave the mfkin world champion a bike that was way to big for him.....he's lucky dario ain't on the rolodex imho or else there'd be some whacked looking tarmac lining up at paris-nice this weekend.

obtuse

lets replace that with cannot build/offer

he's only the world champion :no:

http://www.bicirace.com/photo/2006/Worlds/RR/sirottiBettiniClimbs.jpg

amerliN

Simon Q
03-08-2007, 09:21 PM
lets replace that with cannot build/offer

he's only the world champion :no:

http://www.bicirace.com/photo/2006/Worlds/RR/sirottiBettiniClimbs.jpg

amerliN

Gold bling aside, I much prefer his 2006 ride. Very much.

jhcakilmer
03-08-2007, 09:35 PM
I just hate that the world champion, and best rider in the pro peleton has to ride the ugliest bike produced. It looks like a K-mart special......I think Specialized needs to send some pink slips out, and hire some of the guys from this forum.

jwprolo
03-08-2007, 11:47 PM
It's a bummer bettini got screwed by moulded frames being nearly impossible to impersonate. Word is (from ex-specialized rep) that Cipo rode Ventanas. Really, really heavy (therefore stiff) ventanas.

learlove
03-09-2007, 12:15 AM
a size up or down wont make much of a diff as long as a comfy eff. position can be had. They are pro's - they get paid to ride and ride fast. In the end its the engine that counts - give him a huffy and I bet he could pace the same - thems pros gotta pay the bills some how.

as a professional pilot - I get paid to fly airplanes, piper cub, 747, heck a washing machine with wings - it doesn't matter whatever gets the job done and pays the bills.

sspielman
03-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Agreed. Bettini could ride a huffy and still win races. However, that thing that Specialized gave him is the ugliest bike in the pro peloton...at least this side of Discovery. Specialized really should stick to water bottles.
-Aesthetics Police

stevep
03-09-2007, 06:34 AM
despite ads and assurances to the opposite. they can and do make custom bikes for these guys in look alike carbon.
whether it be boonen, bettini or any quickstep team riders.
it is silly to imagine that these riders would take a frame off the assembly line that produces schlock for our consumption.
believe me i know what the ads say... and who has ever heard of an ad that was somewhat slanted away from the truth?
this fabrication by hand is not that difficult. it would be difficult to do in a big way for retail sale for sure...but on a couple of hundred frames it would not be that big a deal.
subtle differences from regular models in some cases but it is easily done.

sspielman
03-09-2007, 06:38 AM
despite ads and assurances to the opposite. they can and do make custom bikes for these guys in look alike carbon.
whether it be boonen, bettini or any quickstep team riders.
it is silly to imagine that these riders would take a frame off the assembly line that produces schlock for our consumption.
believe me i know what the ads say... and who has ever heard of an ad that was somewhat slanted away from the truth?
this fabrication by hand is not that difficult. it would be difficult to do in a big way for retail sale for sure...but on a couple of hundred frames it would not be that big a deal.
subtle differences from regular models in some cases but it is easily done.

Mr. Quillon must have shuddered when he had to make a bike that ugly.....

Xyzzy
03-09-2007, 06:45 AM
Is it me, or does Bettini look a little "gay" on the cover of March's Cycle Sport. Not that that is a bad thing, but...

:confused:

Bobbo
03-09-2007, 09:14 AM
No gayer than Boonen. I'd sue over that pic.

pdxmech13
03-09-2007, 10:46 AM
gahy is the new strait

stevep
03-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Mr. Quillon must have shuddered when he had to make a bike that ugly.....

blindfolded.