PDA

View Full Version : Tire Reccomendations

singletrack
03-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I am looking for clincher that rides well on the road but that also holds up to trainer use about once a week. I only have one powertap wheel and I dont want to be changing tires all of the time. I have been using Continental GP's but the melt on the trainer.

Thanks in advance.

thwart
03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
I've been too lazy to switch my tire this winter, and my Vittoria Rubino Pro looks (to my great surprise) completely unfazed by 15-20 hours of use... I hate riding indoors :crap:

BoulderGeek
03-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I never change tires unless they are worn out.

I won't use Contis any more, though. Their weird sizes and/or super-tight beads are way more trouble than they are worth.

I'm running Michelin Hi-Lite Prestige and Panaracer Stradius Pros on all of my wheels. Good price/performance for the pure training (non-competition) riding that I do.

regularguy412
03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
I've had good luck both indoors and out with Vredestein Fortezza SE 23's. I put over 3,000 miles on a set last summer. The front still looks good and last December I traded the back to my beater for use on the trainer. I have about 800 miles on the old back tire on the trainer since January 1st with no problems.

Mike in AR

Bud_E
03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
I have a cheap no-name tire on the bike that's on the trainer and it's lasted for months and months. I think the theory goes that the rubber composition on cheapo tires is less pliant which makes it able to tolerate the heat that's generated on the trainer without deforming and/or melting. Or not... I'm just shooting from the hip but it makes sense to me and fits my observation.

chuckred
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I won't use Contis any more, though. Their weird sizes and/or super-tight beads are way more trouble than they are worth.

Weird...

I've heard other people say that - but my experience is the opposite - they are some of the easiest tires to change I've ever had!

I use the 4 Seasons and GP4000s. On both generic Torelli box rims and Velocity Aerohead. Almost too easy to put them on.

Had lots of experience changing the Attack and Force before I junked them for their tissue paper sidewalls! But, they were easy to change!