PDA

View Full Version : 650B Mountain Bike wheel size

Keith A
03-08-2007, 04:03 PM
I just read some of the comments from Kirk Pacenti on CyclingNews and thought I'd pass them along here since there was some discussion recently about his bike that was on display at the NAHMBS....

Yet another mountain bike wheel size format, though, was introduced at the show this year by Kirk Pacenti (former Bontrager builder and now of Bikelugs.com). Pacenti was an early proponent of the 29" wheel movement, and still believes in the bigger wheel concept. However, as a frame designer, "tossing out fundamental frame design principles to accommodate the 29" wheel just doesn't sit well with me."

The alternate size he proposed is roughly 27.5" in diameter and essentially splits the difference between the current rivals. To be fair, the 'new' size isn't new at all, but rather uses the old 650B standard that's been around for ages. According to Pacenti, 650B can offer most of the 29" wheel's ability to roll over obstacles, but can retain most of the perceived acceleration advantage of 26" wheels, all while accommodating a broader range of rider sizes.

"It's just like a pendulum; you get this idea and it grows and takes off, and it goes to an extreme. Fifteen years ago, the view was that, if 16" chain stays were good, 15" ones were better and everyone was going with an elevated stay [in order to reduce the chain stay length]. Here we are, fifteen years later, and we're all back running 16.75" stays. So I kind of view it that way. In general, I think it's the best of both worlds."

Tires on Pacenti's show bike were hand-trimmed and stitched from WTB 29" tires, but Panaracer has apparently signed on to produce proper 650B mountain bike tires. Pacenti says that he's already sold about 500 hundred tires to both Rivendell (who has been advocating the 650B for some time now) and "another company". The idea certainly holds some merit, and we'll be eagerly waiting to see where this one goes (and no, we're not adding 650B wheels to our ongoing 26" vs. 29" experiment, so don't even ask!).

Keith A
03-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Here's another article on Cycling Plus (http://cyclingplus.co.uk/newsdetails.asp?id=688) that I ran across. This seems like a really good idea, but I'm not a mountain biker...what do you guys/gals think?

mjb266
03-09-2007, 10:27 PM
If you're going to go big go 29er...that whole slowing down acceleration thing is crap. Get stronger legs. If you want the smaller wheel go 26" and buy obtuse's MTB

dauwhe
03-10-2007, 07:25 AM
I thought the Pacenti 650B mountain bike looked spectacular.

I already have 650B wheels and tires, but no 26" stuff. I'll most likely get a 650B mountain bike someday, not so much because I think it would be better than 26" or 700c, but just because it seems cool to me, and I like being a bit different, and an intermediate size makes sense for me.

It may sound odd, but I also like the more limited tire choices in 650B. I've ridden almost every 650B road tire, and so have good knowledge of all my options. Probably not a lot of people can say that about 700C!

Dave

billrick
03-10-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm a big 29er fan - I'm on my third 29er bike and have gone through five wheelsets - but I have to admit the 650b has great appeal for me. I miss the shorter chainstays/wheelbase of the 26in wheel bikes and I have tweeked more 29er wheels out of true than I ever did with the 26in wheels. It makes sense that the 650b will have fewer design compromises, like funky bent seat tubes or front derailleur clearance issues.

What I am hoping for:

- a more "flickable" bike than the 29er (I haven't nailed a really huge bunny hop since I went to 29ers.)

- a stronger wheel than the 29er

- increased gyroscopic effect and small bump performance over the 26 in wheel (I know the % difference between 26 and 650b is not that great, but even a slight difference will impact the physics of the wheel.)

- MAYBE the use of existing 26in forks, like the Fox TALAS or F80 (man I hope that works!)

:)