PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads

soulspinner
03-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Always used Campy. Koolstop better(no mountain passes)?

dave thompson
03-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Never used Campy. Always used Shimano. Koolstop better in every way; better modulation, better feel, better in the wet (Salmon) and better down mountain passes.

jwprolo
03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
swissstop. Felt like totally new brakes.

Ahneida Ride
03-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Salmon Koolstop .... A no brainer ....

dgauthier
03-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Tried the black and salmon Koolstops over Shimano stock pads. The blacks are noticably better than stock. The salmon Koolstops resist fade *much* better than anything else. That's all I'll use now, and 99% of my riding is in dry conditions. FWIW, I've had the black Koolstops melt on me once, while riding the brakes following a truck on a very steep narrow downhill.

You need to be pushing it a bit to see which performs better. If you won't be doing any "mountain passes", you'll never notice a difference.

quattro
03-08-2007, 01:41 PM
I stopped into Belmont Wheel Works last Saturday and while talking to one of the salespeople I recognize as having worked there for quite some time I asked him about KoolStop Salmon pads v. Shimano Dura Ace pads. He said the Dura Ace pads worked better. One persons opinion I guess. I'm still undecided bu tmight give them a try anyways.

AgilisMerlin
03-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Salmon Koolstop .... A no brainer ....

how did all you figure out my secret.

HANDS DOWN BEST PAD EVER MADE........GOT A PAIR SITTING IN MY CLOSET, WINKING AT ME :banana:

dura ace pads get flecks of metal imbedded in them...........they suck big time. jmo and want everyone to know about it.

PS.

DURA ACE PADS SUCK. ANYONE WHO TRIES THE SALMON PADS WILL NEVER GO BACK. EVER. DID I MENTION THAT DURA ACE PADS SUCKBIGTIME

crossjunkee
03-08-2007, 01:47 PM
I just installed Swiss stop pads. I'm impressed as much as I can be about brake pads.

bobscott
03-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Any Koolstop pad is certainly better than Dura Ace stock (haven't tried Campy).
However I found: Salmon on the front and rear are too grabby for my taste and black on the front and rear are poor stoppers in wet conditions.
A mix ended up working best for me, Black front and Salmon rear. Good modulation capacity and fine in the wet.
Probably addressing the Salmon's grabbyness, Koolstop makes mixed pads which have black front sections and salmon rear sections. I can't speak for them and am unsure if they are made for road brakes. If road versions are available, a good set up might be the mixed pads in the front and Salmons in the rear.
bobscott

Ken Robb
03-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I've had fine service from the newer Shimano pads. The 10spd DA brakes are the best I've experienced. I may try KoolStop salmon next. I wasn't too impressed with their black pads--they were just OK.

Xyzzy
03-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Switched from KoolStop salmon (too grabby IMO & no modulation) to GHP Swissstop. The Swissstop are much less powerful but have tons of modulation. Stock Campy pads just make a mess all over the wheels in the rain.

Ahneida Ride
03-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Stock Campy's crud the wheels after 1K miles. :( Yuck ...

I need all the stopping power I can get. Especially descending
Okemo Mountain in Vt.

Keith A
03-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Here's Kool-Stop's website (http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index.php) of all their pad offerings.

72gmc
03-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I've tried both the black/salmon and all-salmon Kool Stops in Seattle winter conditions (wet, hilly) and prefer the salmon. The dual compound didn't make much difference that I can feel, and the price difference is equal to a big chocolate chip cookie after lunch... case closed.

Chief
03-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Black koolstops are cool here in hot Texas where it never rains.

rwsaunders
03-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I switched to salmon Koolstops a year ago and I won't go back. I agree with the comment that the DA's gather metal frags

jimcav
03-09-2007, 02:56 AM
for the chilly hilly (recently moved to seattle area), will always use them from now on--not bad in dry, and soooooo much better in the wet.

am putting v39 carbon wheels on my newest steel ride (just a weight weenie experiment) and may try the yellow swissstop there--hear good things about them for carbon.

jim

Kevin
03-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Koolstop.

Kevin

cdimattio
03-09-2007, 05:38 AM
HANDS DOWN BEST PAD EVER MADE......

+1 KoolStop Salmon

For me the Swiss Stop High Performance pads were and improvement over Shimano, but they had issues with accumulation of aluminum rim debris and grit.

Stock Shimano was bottom of the heap for me. Campy a step higher, but Koolstop Salmon tops the list.

AgilisMerlin
03-09-2007, 08:57 PM
I think we have just established the

Salmon Club,

ofcoarse the salmon is made out of proprietory rubber. :D

Long Live the Salmon Club........................cause shyutty brake pads like Dura Ace are a CRIME against the descent and good natured"

amerliN

soulspinner
03-10-2007, 04:33 AM
No more Campy pads...

rwsaunders
03-10-2007, 11:40 AM
You mean they actually make brake pads from us?