PDA

View Full Version : One for the rim brake loyalists - FG, TGN, D2R2 et al

Nick12
05-07-2021, 08:15 AM
Hello my fellow rim brake loyalists! I have a slightly selfish question / favor to ask, but I'll start with a brief backstory:

I'm thinking about getting into gravel riding. I live in Bermuda (a very small island in the middle of the Atlantic) and there is no gravel riding here, just bad roads! I have a rim brake steel Hampsten with 28's which I think suits me and my riding perfectly.

I enjoy riding rim brakes and steel bikes and have started looking into steel rim brake gravel riding bikes. I'm thinking something along the lines of Waterford, Gunnar Cross-hairs, Ritchey Swiss Cross or anything else with canti brakes that look sweet. My plan is to make weekend trips to NY (flights are around 2hrs, so not that bad) to do rides like the Great North, Farmer's Daughter, etc. and slowly branching out to the likes of D2R2.

My question is to those of you who have completed such events on rim brake bikes (or just epic gravel rides), can you share a picture or describe the bike you used for such events, and whether you felt underbiked at all? I really would like pictures as I enjoy seeing the setups and it helps me to visualize ideas for how I would build my bike. (Also, looking at bikes is just great in general!)

I know its a lot to ask so thanks in advance!

DaveS
05-07-2021, 08:18 AM
I have a Hampsten steel Strada Bianca with mid-reach brakes that I use for these rides. I usually end up running a 35 up front and a 32 or 33 in the back, and for my riding style it works great!

oldpotatoe
05-07-2021, 08:21 AM
If you are going to travel..if you can find one..

AngryScientist
05-07-2021, 08:26 AM
Did someone call?

Don't overthink it Nick. If rim brakes are what you desire, nothing to worry about. I have been riding gravel forever in the Northeast and have been riding D2R2 annually for over a decade, done FD, doing Great North next weekend, etc - all on rim brakes. No problem.

Remember that all of these roads have been here forever and we've been riding on them before disc brakes were even a thing. I have never encountered any riding situation where disc brakes were a "requirement".

Reach out when you're in the area, we can go for a gravel ride!

-Nick in NJ :)

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--qCy_c0BUps/Xxttb8xk0-I/AAAAAAAAEHg/r80KcrPdlYk2_iWSl8ysCVu1hgBkFIriQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/IMG_5979.jpg

djg21
05-07-2021, 08:46 AM
Hello my fellow rim brake loyalists! I have a slightly selfish question / favor to ask, but I'll start with a brief backstory:

I'm thinking about getting into gravel riding. I live in Bermuda (a very small island in the middle of the Atlantic) and there is no gravel riding here, just bad roads! I have a rim brake steel Hampsten with 28's which I think suits me and my riding perfectly.

I enjoy riding rim brakes and steel bikes and have started looking into steel rim brake gravel riding bikes. I'm thinking something along the lines of Waterford, Gunnar Cross-hairs, Ritchey Swiss Cross or anything else with canti brakes that look sweet. My plan is to make weekend trips to NY (flights are around 2hrs, so not that bad) to do rides like the Great North, Farmer's Daughter, etc. and slowly branching out to the likes of D2R2.

My question is to those of you who have completed such events on rim brake bikes (or just epic gravel rides), can you share a picture or describe the bike you used for such events, and whether you felt underbiked at all? I really would like pictures as I enjoy seeing the setups and it helps me to visualize ideas for how I would build my bike. (Also, looking at bikes is just great in general!)

I live near the Great North course and haven’t missed Farmers Daughter since it started, and regularly ride dirt around Nassau. If you’re buying a new bike, go disc for brakes. I’ve done Farmers Daughter on my old cross bike that was set up with Paul cantilevers and tubed 32c cross tires. It with a Praxis crank with 48/32 rings, and I used an 11-28 cassette (that’s the largest my old bike could take). I wished I had some lower gearing for some of the climb. I also wished I had more tire. My rim brakes became pretty worthless when it got wet and muddy out. I’m all in on rim brakes on a road bike, but for gravel or MTB, discs are the way to go.You’ll also have far more wheel options with discs brakes too.

My new gravel bike is set up set up with disc brakes and wheels with 25mm internal width. I use them with 700x40c tubeless tires, and can go wider if conditions merit. You absolutely want tubeless to avoid constant pinch flats. My new bike is 1x with a 44 chainring and a 50-10 cassette. I can change the chainring to a 42 if necessary, but I’ve found the 44 to be fine for everything I’ve encountered. If I need a lower gear, I’m faster shouldering my bike and walking. If I was using my gravel bike on the road, I’d look for a 2x, but I ride a dedicated road bike.

witcombusa
05-07-2021, 08:53 AM

Underbiked? The first three years I rode a converted 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix framed 650B with LONG reach centerpull brakes. This frame is basically water pipe...

Gearing and then tires are the two biggest players for an enjoyable ride @ D2R2. Well, being in shape for the climbing and distance too of course.

From that bike I switched to an 83 Bianchi Cross build. Followed by an 06 Ritchey BAC and then a 89 Team Stumpjumper.
Next up will be a 87 Fat Chance!
Not a plastic bike or disc brakes wanted. Oh, and tube tires for every year and not a single flat yet!

Here's the lineup since the events inception in 2005

Nick12
05-07-2021, 10:32 AM
... doing Great North next weekend, etc - all on rim brakes. No problem.

Thanks Nick! Will def reach out when I'm in your neck of the woods.

What's your planned set up for next weekend? Will you be riding that Ritchey? What's the tire size?

Nick12
05-07-2021, 10:32 AM
Underbiked? The first three years I rode a converted 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix framed 650B with LONG reach centerpull brakes. This frame is basically water pipe...

Gearing and then tires are the two biggest players for an enjoyable ride @ D2R2. Well, being in shape for the climbing and distance too of course.

From that bike I switched to an 83 Bianchi Cross build. Followed by an 06 Ritchey BAC and then a 89 Team Stumpjumper.
Next up will be a 87 Fat Chance!
Not a plastic bike or disc brakes wanted. Oh, and tube tires for every year and not a single flat yet!

Here's the lineup since the events inception in 2005

Impressive line up! Really like the look of that Stumpjumper! Thinking of grabbing one to fiddle around with :)

Spaghetti Legs
05-07-2021, 11:18 AM
Never fear Nick; whatever kind of brakes you want, as long as they're adjusted properly. I would also recommend a Ritchey Breakaway Cross if you'll be traveling a lot.

Here are my 3 main bikes I ride on gravel, though I take any of my bikes that I'm not worried about dinging up the finish.

My new to me Velo Orange Randonneur with Tektro R539 brakes. This was before the maiden voyage and it ate up gravel like nobody's business. Waiting on some orange bar tape in the mail.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51163616741_7fa6826a3b_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kX9UK8)

My Heron Randonneur which is my tourer. Tektro CR710 cant brakes. This same ride I went down 15-18 % gravel descents.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51112225483_de41f18bec_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kSBvUX)

My early 90's Ciöcc road bike with 10 speed Record brakes. I rode Susquehanna Unpaved on this with slightly bigger tires than pictured. Also I've ridden some dicy roads on this bike but not the Appalachian Trail.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50100930903_b81eb4329d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jkfngv)

My wife and I, many years ago before kids, did a spur of the moment trip to Bermuda, stayed at a B+B in Hamilton. We rented bikes to get around the island and had a wonderful time. Are really loud scooters still the preferred mode of transportation there?

Nick12
05-07-2021, 12:30 PM
My wife and I, many years ago before kids, did a spur of the moment trip to Bermuda, stayed at a B+B in Hamilton. We rented bikes to get around the island and had a wonderful time. Are really loud scooters still the preferred mode of transportation there?

Thanks Spaghetti! Those bikes look great!

Yes, unfortunately the loud scooters are still the cool way to get around. Glad you had a good time!

sparky33
05-08-2021, 08:21 PM
Did someone call?

Don't overthink it Nick. If rim brakes are what you desire, nothing to worry about. I have been riding gravel forever in the Northeast and have been riding D2R2 annually for over a decade, done FD, doing Great North next weekend, etc - all on rim brakes. No problem.

Remember that all of these roads have been here forever and we've been riding on them before disc brakes were even a thing. I have never encountered any riding situation where disc brakes were a "requirement".

Reach out when you're in the area, we can go for a gravel ride!

-Nick in NJ :)

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--qCy_c0BUps/Xxttb8xk0-I/AAAAAAAAEHg/r80KcrPdlYk2_iWSl8ysCVu1hgBkFIriQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/IMG_5979.jpg

The ideal northeast gravel bike has evolved over the years, but a canti cx bike was the thing for a long time for a good reason. For sure, a wider 35-45 supple tire makes the day more fun.

Imagine a picture I cannot find that shows a deep blue lugged canti Zanconato cx with 38mm file-tread-tires. The rest of bike tech is just icing on the cake, marginal gains, and I’m totally on board with all of those things.

Farmers Daughter was the only gravel route I can recall where I felt frequently underbiked on 40s.

Kingson
05-09-2021, 01:04 AM
you people are killing me with your pictures of North East/New England dirt.
i'm so desperate to move back for the riding, both paved and unpaved.

Hilltopwalters
05-09-2021, 10:29 AM
I did Farmer's Daughter two years ago on 28s. It was wild, ha! Definitely felt that one for awhile.