PDA

View Full Version : Phil Wood service

bironi
03-08-2007, 10:18 AM
A buddy of mine tried to order a Phil Wood rear cog for his fixie recently via our lbs. Weeks went by without the cog showing up at the lbs. The lbs phoned Phil Wood several times without results. It sounds like they seldom answer their phone calls. The lbs had to leave a message each time. Have others here experienced a similar lack of service from Phil Wood? The reason I ask, is my buddy now needs to replace the bearings in his front Phil Wood hub.

Thanks much in advance.
Byron

dash
03-08-2007, 10:24 AM
i (nobody) called to ask a simple compatibility question and left a detailed voice mail message. they got back to me by the end of that same day with a clear and knowledgeable answer. are you sure your lbs has a good relationship with them?

regularguy412
03-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Last summer, I sent my 103 mm bottom bracket back to them for new bearings. They replied to the preliminary email that I sent quite promptly. The BB came back in about 3 wks, good as new. Cost was about $35 plus shipping.

Mike in AR

hypnos
03-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Phil Wood rocks!

cadence90
03-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Every time I have emailed them, Brent responds very quickly (same day) with a precise and complete reply.
Among the best in CS, imho.

bcm119
03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I've also emailed them and had a thorough reply from Brent within hours.

Serpico
03-08-2007, 11:29 AM
who are you dealing with? their customer service is awesome and they ship serviced parts back with band-aids and decals in the package (yeah, it's a small, quirky detail, but it puts a smile on your face when you open the package). took me about 2 weeks to get a new bb repaired, no charge.

go to your lbs and they can handle it if they have an account with pw. good luck.

big shanty
03-08-2007, 11:49 AM
They are a small company, and they do pretty well. I stripped out the bolts on the first fixed hub I bought from them, and they sent free replacements ASAP. My most recent order was a bit like pulling teeth (stainless BB)....nobody answering the phone, so I emailed the details of what I wanted and gave my credit card # and shipping info. About 5 days later , after no response, I followed up w/ a phone call and the woman essentially re-took my order and it shipped the next day. I think they were just incredibly busy, maybe leading up to NAHBS? All of my experiences with them leading up to that transaction were flawless, so no problem in my book.

dave thompson
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Phil Wood had a fairly large contingent at NAHBS so they may have been short-handed at the store.

Too Tall
03-08-2007, 01:25 PM
What Dave said. They are hung over ;)

SadieKate
03-08-2007, 01:34 PM
The bike show doesn't last for weeks. We have also had the same problems. Spoke to them at the show last year. Delivered a wheel which needed work on the hub (compatibility issue with the threading and their fault). The tandem sans wheel sat in the living room for several months before we could get it back.

Our experience is absolute top quality product but slow service.

Peter B
03-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I've always received fast, excellent service from Brent; quick replies to phone/email messages (if he didn't answer the phone himself) and quick turnaround for orders.

bigbill
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
I needed to send my PW bottom bracket for an overhaul this time last year and they were slow to respond. They were at bike shows. Once they replied, everything happened quickly and my bb was turned around in less than two weeks from the time I mailed it. I just ordered a set of wheels with PW hubs from Joe Young. They cost more than the commuter frame they will hang on.

Peter P.
03-08-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm another satisfed Phil Wood owner. I ordered a hub through my local shop. My mistake; I ordered the wrong axle width. I e-mailed Phil Wood to see what I needed to do to correct the problem. Phil Wood promptly mailed me the correct part at no charge.

jhcakilmer
03-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm a little confused, I thought people buy phil wood components because they last forever, since they're sure not light...... :p

R2D2
03-09-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm a little confused, I thought people buy phil wood components because they last forever, since they're sure not light...... :p

The Ti BB is light.

musgravecycles
03-09-2007, 03:47 PM

What our cute little robot friend said bro, the Ti/Mag bb is exceptionally light.

You're harpin on the rear hub (have you even seen a rear in real life bro), which does in fact last forever, rolls better than anything else out there, and has very good flange dimensions...What else could you ask for if you're not Levi spending $400/week on food?

Vancouverdave
03-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Sounds weird to me--when i need product I email their sales department and the customer's merchandise is here in 48 hours. Same with questions; their service is great.