PDA

View Full Version : 5 days in a row!

Bud
03-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Today marks the 5th day in a row that I've ridden. I can't recall the last time I rode 5 days in a row. The weather and my schedule has cooperated lately and I've been able to ride ever since last Sunday. Granted, it's just commuting to work from home (~8 miles each way) and back, but I add a few miles here and there for a decent workout so I'm definitely getting back in the saddle. And the hill I must climb to get home every evening is a decent workout in itself.

I'm a bit sore from yesterday's "mishap" (I think I screwed up something in my elbow), but it still felt good this am to turn the cranks. Fridays are not good schedule wise for riding, so the streak stops today.

This is great for the stress relief. My stress level has been pretty high and will continue to be so for the next month. Cycling is one of the few things (in addition to my wife) that is keeping me sane right now... :)

Karin Kirk
03-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Good for you Bud!

Glad that things are working out to allow you to ride and feel good about it. I'm also glad that you are more or less OK after yesterday's spill.

How warm has it been in the afternoons? I imagine you have to layer differently for the chilly ride into work, compared to the warmer commute home?

I't been classic March sunshine here (with 3" of snow at the hill this morning). I haven't ridden yet, but I can feel the appetite building and I'm looking forward to the transition back to the bike.

Bud
03-08-2007, 07:29 PM
When I leave in the morning it's about 32-28F and on the way home in the venings it's been anywhere from 45-60F. In the mornings I've been wearing leg warmers, toe warmers, a long sleeve lightweight base layer under a jersey, and a jacket or windfront jersey over that. In the evenings I just wear a short sleeve jersey and the jacket. Tonight I had a nice W tailwind of about 5-10 mph which helped.

No riding tomorrow-gotta rest for Saturday skiing (and my schedule doesn't allow it- teaching day). It's been two weeks since we've skied :crap:

Erik.Lazdins
03-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Bud,
Take it easy skiing - You've got to ride next week!

RIHans
03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Just checked the extended weather forecast with great, high hopes that it's gonna break here in the Northeast. Can't wait to do 5 ina row! Please!

Karin Kirk
03-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Smart man. Rest up for those tele turns. Where are you going?

When you wear so much less clothing on the way home, do you just carry it home in your pack/messenger bag? I always used to hate carrying all those extra layers home at the end of the day, so I'd leave them at the office. Which of course didn't work out so well when I needed them again the next morning.

Bud
03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Smart man. Rest up for those tele turns. Where are you going?

When you wear so much less clothing on the way home, do you just carry it home in your pack/messenger bag? I always used to hate carrying all those extra layers home at the end of the day, so I'd leave them at the office. Which of course didn't work out so well when I needed them again the next morning.

I ride with a backpack, rather than a messenger bag but I got a messenger bag recently and I'm thinking about switching. I rode with it one day this week and it was OK, but I've been having some trap/neck problems (stress) and the backpack is much better for that.

In the morning I carry clean clothes (if Im out of my stock at work) in my pack along with lunch and the laptop. In the evening, the extra layers replace the clothes, which I leave in a pile by my desk. When I commute by bike a lot, once a week I take a bag in full of clean clothes and bring the dirties home. I'll do that tomorrow when I take the bus. I'm also lucky to have a shower at work for those days when I need to look and smell clean :)

Not sure where we're skiing this weekend. Could be Vail, Keystone, Beaver Creek or my favorite... The Basin ;) My wife wants to go to Vail. Hopefully it won't be too crazy with spring breakers from the coasts (no offense to those who live on the coasts, but the skiing gets dangerous when it gets crowded with poseurs).

Karin Kirk
03-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Sounds like you've got the clothing thing dialed! Nice system. I think a dirty laundry bin would be a sweet office accessory, don't you?

Oh, how I used to be an east-coast-spring-break-poseur! Spring Break at A-Basin was my highlight of my entire year. I have gotten the impression that Front Range skiing has become a lot more hectic/scary/crowded in recent years, so I hear what you're saying.

Here, our spring breakers are typically from the Midwest and oh yes, they have arrived. Or shall I say yah-you-betcha! (And nothing against the midwesterners. I have family and co-workers there and I admire them all.)

Dave
03-09-2007, 08:34 AM
The weather's finally turned nice in the Denver area with tmeps in the upper 50's. I'll get my fifth day in a row today, which will bring my weekly total to 170 miles. I'm even able to get up into the mountains, although there's still patches of wet road from the snow melt and plenty of sand on the roads.

TimB
03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
I've also managed to ride to work every day this week, about 21 miles round trip. Here in NC we've been having lows in the low 30s and highs in the low to mid 50s, so I too have been carting lots of extra bike clothes in my backpack on the way home every day. And, with the extra daylight and dry conditions, I've been able to swap out bikes - I've ridden three different bikes to work this week.

Just had a minor twinge on the front of my right knee walking down the stairs, this too similar to the feeling of patellar tendonitis for my comfort. Will probably resist riding over the weekend.

Kevan
03-09-2007, 09:17 AM
I've already got notions of starting up my cycle-commute. Problem is March is still plenty cold and dealing with all the extra wardrobe and a place to stash it all, not to mention the gym stop for showering, is a problem. Still...global warming being what it is, I think I will get out there much sooner than I did last year. Good for you Bud, I'm jealous.

BoulderGeek
03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
OK, this thread motivates me. I'll go for a spin at lunch today.

No skiing for me this weekend, either. Flying down to Santa Fe for a booty call and some hot food and cold margaritas.
:no: :banana:

54*F and warming as I type.

Bud
03-09-2007, 10:18 PM
a booty call and some hot food and cold margaritas.
:no: :banana:

Nice...