PDA

View Full Version : clark, ely, hiatt and lovett

chrisroph
03-08-2007, 08:58 AM
I saw guy clark, joe ely, john hiatt, and lyle lovett together, in the round with just acoustic guitars last night. They played one great song after another. If you get a chance to see this show, and appreciate great songwriting and singing, don't miss it.

It was kind of like having a serotta, a vanilla, a sachs and a spectrum to appreciate.

Ray
03-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I saw guy clark, joe ely, john hiatt, and lyle lovett together, in the round with just acoustic guitars last night. They played one great song after another. If you get a chance to see this show, and appreciate great songwriting and singing, don't miss it.

It was kind of like having a serotta, a vanilla, a sachs and a spectrum to appreciate.
I've never seen them together, but I've seen three of the four (not Clark) each playing solo acoustic. Each of them is a master of holding down a large room with just six strings and a voice, which is a hell of a trick. Ely and Hiatt in particular are incredible solo performers.

I'll keep my eyes open for this tour.

-Ray

H.Frank Beshear
03-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Da** I hope they get to the Midwest. I've been a fan of all but the only to make it here has been Lovett. Another great acoustic show is Alejandro Escovedo (http://www.alejandroescovedo.com/) . If you get a chance go see him. Frank

sc53
03-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Hey Chrisroph, do you have any link to info on the tour dates and locations? These 4 are among my top favorite musicians of all time, and to see them all together would be incredible. I have a CD of Guy Clark, Steve Earle, Townes van Zandt, and another guy whom I can't recall right now all playing together that is fantastic if you like these guys.

Frankwurst
03-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Da** I hope they get to the Midwest. I've been a fan of all but the only to make it here has been Lovett. Another great acoustic show is Alejandro Escovedo (http://www.alejandroescovedo.com/) . If you get a chance go see him. Frank

They played in Wausau,WI in the middle of January. Probably not the part of the midwest you were hoping for but it sure worked out good for the Wife and I. Great show. I'd go see them again right now given the opportunity. :beer:

sc53 It is Known as The Songwriters Tour. You might try a search for places and dates.

Lincoln
03-08-2007, 10:37 AM
...rub it in. They were supposed to play here and I splurged for the two best seats I could get..then they canceled the show. Way bummed.

Bill Bove
03-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I've seen each of them alone too, together it must have one heck of a guitar pull.

Desperado's Waiting For A Train :beer:

pdxmech13
03-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I saw lovett on the street in los gatos on monday.

Bill Bove
03-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I saw lovett on the street in los gatos on monday.

Was he eating a cheeseburger :)

whitecda
03-08-2007, 05:09 PM

davids
03-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Wow. That's a great group of musicians. So often, these supergroups end up being a mish-mash as each member tries to muscle his way to the front. If any group could put egos behind them, this one could!

And I'll second Alejandro Escovedo - I recently discovered him (although I've had Nuns and Rank & File in my collection for many years...) and, d@mn, he's rather amazing. Anyone with the taste to cover "I Wish I Was Your Mother" is more than alright with me...

chrisroph
03-08-2007, 10:47 PM
guys, been out of touch all day. Not sure of the dates but it was one of the shows I will remember forever. Guy started by saying we have no setlist, no agenda, no fear, and no sense but we play what we want. He launched off into one of his gems, which I call poems and my girlfriend calls prayers, they are so powerful. Then Ely launched in followed by hiatt, then lovett and so on. There were harmony vocals. Joe played some acoustic fills on guy's songs and john did the same on joes's songs. John can really play and lyle talked about first seeing john play guitar with ry cooder in la in 1982. John then played borderline, which ry and freddy fender have recorded but I've never seen john play until last night.

Guy is an american treasure. His songs are like life. He has written some of the most wonderful songs, la freeway, mud, randal knife, and the list goes on and on.

Joe was great and energetic. Hiatt was amazing. I have now seen him 3 or 4 times and he just gets better. His songs are so varied, so perfect. Listen to take it down. Has a greater song ever been sritten? His playing is fantastic and he is a great singer with a unique voice.

And Lyle, what can you say? His songs are so visual, so ambiguous, so lovely, they are hypnotic. His last song way Guy's step inside this house, which is supposed to be the first song guy ever wrote. Seek it out.It is simple, a snapshot of life, joy, love, the simple things that really matter.

If you get the chance, see this show. I have seen hundreds of concerts and this one stands out.

tch
03-10-2007, 09:57 AM
..longer than I would have guessed. I saw them LAST spring in Connecticut. A great concert, although Hiatt's voice was cooked -- he sounded like he had laryngitis and strep throat and had just smoked a pack of cigarettes to kill the pain. I also wished they had played/sung more together; they tended to just go singly in turn -- sort of a song exchange gig.

That said, I second the notion that all of them write incredible songs -- and interestingly different songs about much the same kinds of things.

whitecda
03-10-2007, 03:05 PM