PDA

View Full Version : Roval CLX 32 opinions/options?

drgonzo
05-04-2021, 04:59 PM
I'm considering a set of Roval CLX 32 clincher, rim brake wheels for a lightweight climbing build. I've never ridden Rovals but a friend suggested them and they're extremely light (1280g). Anyone have experience with them?

Aside from the Rovals, is there another set that's in the same price range (~2k or less) and as light? I normally ride Shamal Ultras and will probably stick with them if I can't find a compelling alternative (i.e. significantly lighter, similar quality). Tubulars are NOT an option.

Thanks!

rnhood
05-04-2021, 07:03 PM
I really like the Shimano C24 wheels. I guess the current iteration is 9100 C24. They come in at about 1400 grams but will last forever. You can brake down a 15% 3000" mountain and the rim will laugh at you. It's just solid and reliable. You won't notice the weight either. Most of it is in the hub anyway, and the Shimano hub is the best out there. I have two sets of the original C24's and one has 50K miles on it. They simply don't fail.

I also like the newer Roval wheels, and the C32 is nice. If you don't need a rugged mountain wheel for the long haul, its probably about as good as they get. Light and reasonably aero. But if you need a go-to wheel for lots of mountain riding, get the C24s.

nmrt
05-04-2021, 07:14 PM
I am a fan of bora ultra hubs. why not the bora ultra 35. yes, they are a bit lhaevier than the CLX 32 but they feel so nice for some reason.

yinzerniner
05-04-2021, 08:00 PM
I'm considering a set of Roval CLX 32 clincher, rim brake wheels for a lightweight climbing build. I've never ridden Rovals but a friend suggested them and they're extremely light (1280g). Anyone have experience with them?

Aside from the Rovals, is there another set that's in the same price range (~2k or less) and as light? I normally ride Shamal Ultras and will probably stick with them if I can't find a compelling alternative (i.e. significantly lighter, similar quality). Tubulars are NOT an option.

Thanks!
Shamal Ultras are incredible wheels, and honestly don't think you'd find the Rovals that much better.

Never had the 32's, but had the 50's and they spun up extremely quickly, hubs were very nice and they felt pretty stout. That being said if you're using them tubeless it's a faff that's also possibly a safety hazard since the shelf doesn't retain the bead when deflated. Braking was decent - not the best in carbon, but definitely not the worst. However these being super lightweight, and more likely to see big descents after the climbing, not sure if midlevel carbon braking is the best idea.

For that price range if you must go carbon then Boras or Bontrager XXX would be preferable for manufacturer wheels, or something custom with Chinese rims. For the best braking possible then something like the new Boyd Altamont, HED Belgium or other ~450g alloy rims with lightweight spokes and hubs can probably get you to within 50g of the Rovals with way better braking.

lavi
05-05-2021, 09:16 AM
I have these on my Aethos. They are great with zero issues. I'm 6'2", 210 lbs.

I also like the DT internals with the newest engagement. And ya, they are light.

drgonzo
05-05-2021, 11:50 AM
I also like the newer Roval wheels, and the C32 is nice. If you don't need a rugged mountain wheel for the long haul, its probably about as good as they get. Light and reasonably aero. But if you need a go-to wheel for lots of mountain riding, get the C24s.

I like the C24s as well but I'd probably stick with the Shamal Ultras at that price/weight.

I am a fan of bora ultra hubs. why not the bora ultra 35. yes, they are a bit lhaevier than the CLX 32 but they feel so nice for some reason.

Yeah I think this is where I'll likely end up if I don't get another set of Shamals. Considering that the price point of the Rovals is about the same as Bora Ultras, I don't think the ~100g weight savings of the Rovals is enough to sway me away from going with a set of Bora Ultras.

For that price range if you must go carbon then Boras or Bontrager XXX would be preferable for manufacturer wheels, or something custom with Chinese rims. For the best braking possible then something like the new Boyd Altamont, HED Belgium or other ~450g alloy rims with lightweight spokes and hubs can probably get you to within 50g of the Rovals with way better braking.

I may explore a set of custom wheels. I like the idea of allow with my rim brake set up. Not sure who to reach out to, any recommendations?

I have these on my Aethos. They are great with zero issues. I'm 6'2", 210 lbs.

I also like the DT internals with the newest engagement. And ya, they are light.

Ah very cool, I really appreciate the first hand feedback. Are you using the rim brake version or disc? If rim brake, how's the stopping power? And how is the brake track holding up? Still look ok after use?

Mwhitby
05-05-2021, 09:36 PM
I can't tell you how many rovals I have had to warranty due to delamination from heat. When I went to spec. To ask them about it they just blamed the customer saying they didn't know how to brake. I wasn't a huge fan of the answer since I know the same customers never had problems with other carbon clinchers. Huge fan of their disc versions.