PDA

View Full Version : Took the training wheels off

davep
03-07-2007, 10:33 PM
This evening, upon arriving home, I was greeted by my 5 year old son who said, "Daddy, could you take the training wheels off my bike?" Well, of course I could. After a 2 minute job he was on two wheels - and was riding his bike with no help from me. After a shaky start, he rode around the driveway and the street in front of our house for about 1/2 hour, all by himself. I was an astonished and a very excited father. A couple months ago I took the training wheels off and he was not receptive (to say the least). Now, he is riding by himself on two wheels, with no training or help from me or anyone else. He just decided that the time was right to ride. As he said "My brain told me it was time to take the training wheels off."

onekgguy
03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
fun!! did you have a video camera handy?

Kevin g

93legendti
03-07-2007, 11:32 PM
What a great moment! I remember my Father teaching me to ride and I know our 4 year old's days with training wheels are numbered--I can't wait.

davep
03-07-2007, 11:40 PM
fun!! did you have a video camera handy?

Kevin g

I took some stills, but it was dark and nothing came out really good. I was thinking about a video camera the whole time.

Geoff
03-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Thats wonderful. I look forward to going for a ride with my sons every weekend, weather permitting. My 6 year old is up to about 10+ miles with about 4 miles on trails riding our standard loop. The 2 year old is just along for the ride in the trailer. It is fantastic to see him experimenting with no feet or one hand, he just has a blast. Few things bring joy to a father like seeing their childern succed and makeing those big jumps in develpoment.

G

michael white
03-08-2007, 10:09 AM
My 6 yr old daughter has ridden about 12 yds on her own, but she doesn't seem to care that much. What she really loves is the tagalong; we go all over town. it's the best.

Ti Designs
03-08-2007, 10:23 AM
If I lived in Florida I would probably take off my own training wheels and go for a ride - don't know if I'd balance as well as your 5 year old, but anything beats this 10 degree weather!

weisan
03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
dave-pal, I know how that feels, isn't it great?! :p

My oldest daughter did that a couple of years ago, fortunately, I have a camera at hand:
http://alicehui.com/serotta/alice_bike/alice_bike.mpg

I am still waiting on the 3-yr-old to take off his... :rolleyes:
Bought him one of these heavy-duty techno full-suspension tonka bikes a few weeks ago after the old hand-me-down broke. And he's been riding an awfully lot these days (much more than his dad!). When I come home, I would find him straddled over the bike with his helmet buckled, literally sitting there waiting for me as the garage door rolls up. :)

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/01/67/51/41/0001675141250_500X500.jpg

Kevan
03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Sandy some pointers.

Sandy
03-08-2007, 11:28 AM
I have a better idea yet. Steve's son should give you his training wheels. I have seen you ride. :)

Sandy