PDA

View Full Version : Berthould saddlebag

jharsha
03-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Can someone tell me how much stuff this bag will hold. Specifically I'm looking to carry raingear, leg & arm warmers, wallet & keys as well as tubes,food etc for a supported century where rain & cold is a high probabilty. Any problem with this bag hitting the back of your leg? Thanks

Jim

Sorry for the confusion. I am refering to the "banana" bag. Thanks for all the replies.

michael white
03-07-2007, 07:59 PM
educated guess: that bag is perfect for you.

Ahneida Ride
03-07-2007, 08:50 PM
If it is the Banana bag. It holds less then you think.
I eventually wound up with the Caradice Zipped roll.

A lite jacket will fill up the Banana bag.

For a Century I would go with the Caradice Barley.
One can stuff a ton in there.

SadieKate
03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Are you talking about the $99 bag (4th item on this page)?

http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/berthoudbags.htm

Probably not large enough but you decide. For a 200k brevet this weekend, I managed: 2 tubes, patches, 2 levers, tire boot, small multi-tool, Cateye EL530 light, long-fingered gloves, cleat covers (in case I had to walk in mud in the stops), small case each of ibuprofen and eCaps, 2 tubes chamois butter, bandages, 2 Nectar bars, 1 gel flask, cell phone, bag of money and credit cards, and 1 very compressible windbreaker. It was loaded to the max and gaping. I would consider the bag plenty (actually overly) large for a century but I don't need to carry rain gear.

I love the bag because I can carry lots of stuff for longer spring/winter rides when I need to be able to shed lots of layers as the day warms. It does not hit me in the back of the leg. I do place the lower strap around the seat stays rather than the seatpost.

I am going to modify it so that it has small flat pockets on the sides making the Vit I and chamois butter more accessible. Whatever I needed was always all the way at the bottom.

J.Greene
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
For a Century I would go with the Caradice Barley.
One can stuff a ton in there.

why do you need to carry a ton of stuff for a 4 1/2 hour ride?

JG

davep
03-07-2007, 09:41 PM
I use this bag daily and love it, but I don't think you will be able to get all of your list in it. No problem at all with hitting the back of thighs. Since it is a supported century, you may not need to carry alot of food. If you divide your stuff between the bag and your jersey pockets you shouldbe OK.

michael white
03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I have two very similiar bags, a banana bag and a velo orange saddlebag. i think the Berthoud is the original of all, and all are great.

I fit lots of things and have even tied rainjacket to the top of the banana bag (mine has loops). I would not hesitate to load it as you suggest. or buy two and put one on the front.

actually I just sold the banana bag, now I just have the velo orange bag.

wanderingwheel
03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
For a 300k last month, I loaded my Riv banana bag with a rain jacket, two clif bars, a flask of honey, lots of cytomax, two tubes, pump, patch kit, and a larger than usual set of tools. I think there were a few other small things as well. It was pretty full, but I could have crammed quite a bit more if needed.

Ken Robb
03-08-2007, 12:06 AM
It won't hit your legs but I don't think mine will hold a rain suit, warmers, tubes, etc. Of course if you use jersey pockets for some of the stuff it might work ok. It is a beautiful piece of gear.

Ray
03-08-2007, 06:34 AM
I, too, am confused about which bag the OP was referring to. But I find that I use three sizes of bag, depending on circumstances. For day rides in consistent weather (hot or cold, dry or wet, but not changing much during the day), I just use a very small under saddle bag for tube, tire levers, and basic tools. Cell phone, food and stuff goes in jersey pockets. For centuries or other long rides in weather that has any chance of being changeable (lots of centuries start early when it's chilly and end when it's pretty frickin hot), I'll use a banana bag (the equivalent to the Berthoud bag I *THINK* was being asked about). But the Riv banana has loops on the outside to lash stuff to. I'll stick all manner of tools and food and a light windbreaker in there and use the lash points to add rainlegs or a heavier rain jacket when the weather looks like it justifies it. For long, meandering rides where I'm taking the equivalent of a picnic and the weather could be all over the place, and for supported tours, I'm on the bike with a Brooks and I use the Carradice Barley - the smallest saddlebag that Carradice made until recently (the zipped roll looks a little smaller). This'll swallow whatever rain-gear, changes of goves and hats, and food that I could ever want on a ride. But it's not obnoxiously large, bulky, or heavy like the larger Carradice bags seem to be. And the little side pockets are good for tools and even a small lock. I never use anything larger unless I'm doing a self-supported tour or am going grocery shopping on my town bike with full panniers and a big old front basket.

-Ray

dauwhe
03-08-2007, 06:55 AM

JG

I generally carry the same stuff for any ride, from one hour to, well, lots of hours. Given the hard-to-predict weather in New England, I'd never ride without carrying a real rain jacket (Showers Pass Elite), and a wool hat, plus arm warmers, leg warmers, a fair amount of food, tools, probably three tubes, map, and a few odds and ends. Since I hate filling up jersey pockets, it makes sense for me to have an enormous (by some standards) bag.

I like the little Berthoud saddle bag in question, but mostly use it as an adjunct to a Berthoud handlebar bag.

Dave 'be prepared' Cramer

J.Greene
03-08-2007, 08:04 AM
I agree it's good to be prepared. I can get a dozen salt bagles, 6 bialys, and a tub of creme cheese in a caradice low saddle long flap.

JG

I generally carry the same stuff for any ride, from one hour to, well, lots of hours. Given the hard-to-predict weather in New England, I'd never ride without carrying a real rain jacket (Showers Pass Elite), and a wool hat, plus arm warmers, leg warmers, a fair amount of food, tools, probably three tubes, map, and a few odds and ends. Since I hate filling up jersey pockets, it makes sense for me to have an enormous (by some standards) bag.

I like the little Berthoud saddle bag in question, but mostly use it as an adjunct to a Berthoud handlebar bag.

Dave 'be prepared' Cramer

Kevan
03-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Velo-Orange bag to come knocking at my front door, but this thread got me surfing the net late last night and I found this outfitt that makes some neat retro-style bags: http://www.frostriver.com/bike_bags/bikebags_menu.html

Ray
03-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Velo-Orange bag to come knocking at my front door, but this thread got me surfing the net late last night and I found this outfitt that makes some neat retro-style bags: http://www.frostriver.com/bike_bags/bikebags_menu.html
I think, but I'm not certain, that these are the folks who've been making Rivendell's bags and are now also offering them under their badge. If not, they're DIRECT copies. Maybe Douglas or Curt know the details?

-Ray

dash
03-08-2007, 08:19 AM
that does look like a bleriot or saluki, doesn't it...

J.Greene
03-08-2007, 08:20 AM
I think, but I'm not certain, that these are the folks who've been making Rivendell's bags and are now also offering them under their badge. If not, they're DIRECT copies. Maybe Douglas or Curt know the details?

-Ray

There was a big row about this on the riv email list. Frost river was making the riv bags, than started putting their own names on them. Thieving Bast%$#s

JG

palincss
03-08-2007, 08:22 AM

JG

If that 4 1/2 hr ride began at 28 degrees F and reached 48 degrees F (not at all unusual around here!) then at the end of the ride I'd want to have in the bag rather than on my body: booties, a light jacket, heavy gloves, a windvest, a pair of leg warmers and possibly a wool jersey - even possibly a rain jacket. Not all that heavy, perhaps, but definitely bulky.

J.Greene
03-08-2007, 08:28 AM
If that 4 1/2 hr ride began at 28 degrees F and reached 48 degrees F (not at all unusual around here!) then at the end of the ride I'd want to have in the bag rather than on my body: booties, a light jacket, heavy gloves, a windvest, a pair of leg warmers and possibly a wool jersey - even possibly a rain jacket. Not all that heavy, perhaps, but definitely bulky.

I take living in FL for granted.

JG

dash
03-08-2007, 08:38 AM
I take living in FL for granted.

JG

i took for granted bagels in florida until i was in miami for a week and couldn't find anything better than einstein's.

J.Greene
03-08-2007, 08:40 AM
i took for granted bagels in florida until i was in miami for a week and couldn't find anything better than einstein's.

I'm lucky I have "REAL" bagel shop close by.

JG

michael white
03-08-2007, 08:42 AM
real bagels outside NYC? surely you jest.

dash
03-08-2007, 08:48 AM

they do exist but they have to be made the nyc way:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05291/590577.stm

michael white
03-08-2007, 08:51 AM
look I ride Japanese components every day, but if you think I'm going to eat a Japanese bagel, uh, you gotta nother think coming.

dash
03-08-2007, 08:56 AM
look I ride Japanese components every day, but if you think I'm going to eat a Japanese bagel, uh, you gotta nother think coming.

let's get this thread back on topic...when you're riding in tokyo, how many bagels can you fit in the berthoud saddle bag?

J.Greene
03-08-2007, 09:03 AM

The eastern half of Florida is one of the NYC burbs atmo.

JG

billrick
03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
There was a big row about this on the riv email list. Frost river was making the riv bags, than started putting their own names on them. Thieving Bast%$#s

JG

In support of my friends at Rivendell, I wouldn't touch the Frost River bags with a fully extended Silca frame pump. Grant's reaction to the misappropriation was classy and overly generous, as would be expected, but that doesn't mean I'd ever support Frost River in any way. Rivendell will always get first shot at my bag business.

:beer:

Ray
03-08-2007, 12:18 PM

JG
More here, for any interested:

http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=rbw.10601.0271.eml

I'd steer clear,

-Ray

michael white
03-08-2007, 01:02 PM
So who, dare I ask, made the Velo Orange bag on one of my bikes right now, Duluth? it must be one of them . . .

My old Riv bag said Duluth on it.
I wasn't aware of that controversy, but am not sure bike bags are worth getting too upset about . . . I mean, sorry if people have these misunderstandings.

Ahneida Ride
03-08-2007, 01:05 PM

JG

I carry a lite and heavier jacket. Tools/sparetube/ glasses/ wallet/
car keys / some food ...

ALWAYS carry jackets for the worst weather you might encounter.
I would have died once without a decent jacket !!!!!
15 minutes before I was sweating in a t shirt ascending a steep hill.

Weather in the Northeast can and does change dramatically and suddenly.

michael white
03-08-2007, 01:11 PM
"Location: Albany, New York"

(says it all)

J.Greene
03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I carry a lite and heavier jacket. Tools/sparetube/ glasses/ wallet/
car keys / some food ...

ALWAYS carry jackets for the worst weather you might encounter.
I would have died once without a decent jacket !!!!!
15 minutes before I was sweating in a t shirt ascending a steep hill.

Weather in the Northeast can and does change dramatically and suddenly.

No wonder you people keep moving down here and clogging our roads.

JG

stevep
03-08-2007, 03:05 PM
long ride sometimes i carry 2 tubes.

obtuse
03-08-2007, 03:17 PM

long ride sometimes i carry one cell phone.

obtuse

stevep
03-08-2007, 03:35 PM

i forgot to add... or ride with somebody who carries 2 tubes.
could also be one of you guys who brings a suitcase too.

stevep
03-08-2007, 03:47 PM

obtuse

i mean really long...like 12 miles even.
cel phone wont go that far

J.Greene
03-08-2007, 04:06 PM

obtuse

yup, beter than a patch kit and spare tube rolled into one.

JG

Too Tall
03-08-2007, 06:13 PM
yup, beter than a patch kit and spare tube rolled into one.

JG

Dewd, I quit that stuff yrs. ago.