PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for my delayed response this week: UPDATE

Velocipede
04-29-2021, 06:30 PM
A few PLF Members had emailed directly and via PM here and I wasn't able to answer as fast as normal or at all. Sorry about that. I just got release from the ICU and am trying to catch up now. The last 4 days have really sucked.

Should be back to normal and caught up by the weekend.

phoenix
04-29-2021, 06:34 PM
I wasn’t one of the people trying to contact you, but wishing you the best in your recovery.

buddybikes
04-29-2021, 06:47 PM
Yikes, hope you are quickly healing.

Spaghetti Legs
04-29-2021, 06:59 PM
One of the more legit reasons for a slow PM response. Best wishes for full recovery and glad you’re back in the paceline!

AngryScientist
04-29-2021, 07:05 PM
A good businessman is always thinking of his customers, and we appreciate that, but in this case, your personal health is more important than our campagnolo parts, so heal up and take care of yourself.

wishing you the best luck with whatever is ailing you. cheers.

jamesdak
04-29-2021, 07:32 PM
Dang, take time and heal up fully. The other stuff doesn't matter.

echappist
04-29-2021, 07:35 PM
Sorry to hear that. Speedy recoveries!

gbcoupe
04-29-2021, 07:38 PM
A good businessman is always thinking of his customers, and we appreciate that, but in this case, your personal health is more important than our campagnolo parts, so heal up and take care of yourself.

wishing you the best luck with whatever is ailing you. cheers.

Well said.

+1 (Plus all of us I'm sure).

charliedid
04-29-2021, 07:43 PM
Geez take care of yourself and shoot for next weekend.

Glad you are on the mend.

Velocipede
04-29-2021, 08:53 PM
Thanks all. Appreciate it. Backstory of what happened.

Last Thursday, I was feeling crappy, aches, pains, fever, chills, sore throat, neck pain, shoulder pain, headache. No repsritory or nausea, poop issues, but all the other associated with Covid. I had both my shots. Second the 9th. So that's 13 days after the second. Did I get infected right before and not know it?

Anyways, go to the ER, docs do tests, blood test says I have an infection. Ok? but what?? Covid test comes back negative but they are like, you have it. We've seen a bunch of false negatives and we'll run a longer one. But all the symptoms, you've go it. I'm there for like 5 hours as they give me fluids and meds and then I drive home with some anti nausea meds but nothing for the infection (antibiotics). Weird. Whatever. I take Friday off and miss some deliveries. No biggie they'll be back Monday.

So things get a lot worse. Voice starts going. Throat starts closing up. Can't swallow. Neck is super swollen and incredibly painful. Shoulders get worse too. At this point, it's Sunday. Last meal was Saturday night. Struggling to drink water. Still having 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 fever spikes and then they break, I freeze and then it jumps again. Horrible Sunday.

Monday, No food, hardly anything to drink. Throat is very closed. I swear I have strep. I get strep really bad. Had it like this before. I go to the our GP Urgent Care and they do rapid, Mono, Flu, Covid, Strep, All negative. Extended strep and covid, I'll have to wait. Get to the point mid day, I lose my voice. I had to the GP, tell him this and they are like, go to the ER NOW!! Just over and over again. I typed out a note since I couldn't talk.

Get to the ER, they read my note and I answer more that way. They take me back right away. I go to a room, type more info and they give me fluids and pain meds. They do a covid test also cause they have to. They check my throat and it's almost closed up but they can't see anything wrong. Don't know what the deal is. Ask for a CT Scan. Ok, had those done, no biggie. Wait around and just get some sleep. CT Scan with and without contrast is done. Couple more hours go by. They say I have an abscess, cyst or tumor. They can't tell where exactly yet. Need to get an ENT with a scope in. OK. Wait more. It's about 8pm and they move me to a fancy room. Tons of people constantly walking in and out asking what gonna happen? Guess this room is THE ROOM for cases so people want to see what's up.

About 9:30 rolls around the ENT arrives, nice guy I diagnose his cycling issue as he needs two different length crank arms cause he has two different length legs. He stares in disbelief and asks me how I know. 30+ years dude! He finally gets set up and is trying to figure out why he monitor is wiggling. He's clearly not a mechanic. If I could've gotten up I would've fixed it for him. Anyways, wife is there and holds it for him as he squirts a ton of numbing stuff into my nose and he scopes my nose to get to the esophagus. He talks about how there should still be an opening but there's none. Turns out I have an Abscess that is infected between my throat and my spine. And it's so bad it's pressing on my spine. On a level 1-5, I'm a 1.5. 5 is dead he said. He's making hand gestures like bombs exploding. And he said it happens fast.

So they get me a room in the ICU and keep an eye on me. Give me tons of fluids, meds and the worst thing you can have injected in your veins...potassium. OH MY F'ING GOD!!! My arm was on fire from the inside out. Screw water boarding, do this to terrorists! They will talk immediately. They had to stop twice it was so bad. They had to dilute it a ton and then try again. Still run thru the fever chill cycles and they are trying to get me to a point I can breath, talk and swallow and see if I need surgery or if they can shrink it with super antibiotics.

This goes on for a few days and they get to the point they think it's shrunk enough they can just keep on the drugs and not do surgery. I HATE surgery. Not that I'm afraid, I just know when you get opened up, you are never the same especially after scar tissue sets in. Oddly, I get to the point today, they were like, we're gonna send you home but you have to eat and drink stuff so we can see you'll be ok. I hadn't eaten for 6 days and had a drink in 4. Everything was IV fluids. Lost 22 pounds tho! I had an odd coughing fit and couldn't move to help it and had a bad pain in the center of my chest and they are like, oh boy, EKG time! I order food in the mean time and swallowing hurts. Like there's a blockage now, 1 bite, not horrible. 2 bites, getting more painful. 3 bites, just cut me open. Some serious ow factor.

I prove I can eat and drink. It's painful but I can do it. EKG is fine. They are thinking it's some sort of esophageal spasm or something. Either way, it's still here and hurts. I'm on meds for that now too.

But I'm home. Dosed up on drugs. Hoping I'm healing safely from something that is super uncommon in adults and usually found in kids from 1-8 who need their tonsils out. I never had mine out by the way. They say that's why I get really bad strep. Oh well, another thing for another day.

EPOJoe
04-29-2021, 09:02 PM
Holy crap. Glad you're on the other side of that, and hopefully the whole thing will be in your rear view mirror soon. Rest. Recover.

Ken Robb
04-29-2021, 09:05 PM
WHOA! Glad you had such good care.

Velocipede
04-29-2021, 09:15 PM
Retrophyrangeal Abscess is what it's called. Image is the area and why it was pushing on my spine and esophagus. The black area was pushing backwards onto my spine and forwards that it was closing up my esophagus onto my trachea so I was having trouble breathing either by mouth or nose. And it's like a pus filled pocket that if it ruptured, I could've gotten sepsis.

CMiller
04-29-2021, 09:55 PM
Glad you are out! Forget the late messages/packages, I am sure people will understand.

prototoast
04-29-2021, 10:03 PM
That sounds rough. I hope the worst is behind you.

madsciencenow
04-29-2021, 10:05 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing and heal up quick! Sounds super unpleasant!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJohnny
04-29-2021, 10:29 PM
Whoa, that is wild!! Glad to hear you are now at home and wish you the best for a speedy full recovery and healing of that abscess

JasonF
04-29-2021, 10:53 PM
Wow Mike, terrifying how quickly that came on. Glad your ENT was able to figure things out. Hang tough! Health and family first...everything else is a distant third.

XXtwindad
04-29-2021, 11:04 PM
I enjoy your contributions to the Forum. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Black Dog
04-29-2021, 11:10 PM
You handled that like a champ. Heal up well.

Hakkalugi
04-29-2021, 11:12 PM
Put your feet up and recover. Your customers will wait, put yourself and family first.

weisan
04-29-2021, 11:58 PM
Crazy week. Complete write-off.

The only way from here on is up.

boywander
04-30-2021, 05:12 AM
Wishing you well Mike! Seriously, everything else can wait. You’re contributions are priceless but your health is far greater. Get well soon.

reuben
04-30-2021, 05:53 AM
Wow. I'm super glad that you're on the mend. Everything else can wait.

Velocipede
04-30-2021, 05:59 AM
Worst night ever!!! My shoulders are on fire. I've never done drugs and barely drink. So I've never been a "addict". But I've heard stories that coming down is like everything is on fire and pins and needles and other stuff. Damn if my shoulders where I actually had some thoracic straining already is just screaming at me. Couldn't get comfortable and got no sleep. I see my Chiro this morning for some dry needling and therapy. Hoping that helps cause I need some sleep.

J.Higgins
04-30-2021, 06:10 AM
I'm sad to hear that you were ill, but happy that you've pulled through. Take the time to let yourself heal and get your rest. Glad to have you back! :)

oldpotatoe
04-30-2021, 06:26 AM
Yeegads..it reads like a horror movie(alien?)....so glad you are on the mend. Good, healing thoughts coming your way.

Tim Porter
04-30-2021, 06:31 AM
Holeee s__t! Prayers for your continued and quick recovery!

SlowPokePete
04-30-2021, 06:57 AM
Wow that is scary.

Best wishes in your recovery!

SPP

2metalhips
04-30-2021, 08:28 AM
Hang in there, best wishes for a full recovery.

robt57
04-30-2021, 08:38 AM
Just wow! heal well, I will leave it at that.

superbowlpats
04-30-2021, 09:00 AM
Holy crap.

What he said! damn that sounds like a helluva way to lose weight :eek: All the best to you and hope you recover soon.

Kirk007
04-30-2021, 01:08 PM
just damn. That is a nightmare and sounds like it still is. Sending positive thoughts - hang in there and get well asap.

merlinmurph
04-30-2021, 01:21 PM
Holy crap - again. Glad you're on the upswing. Never heard of this issue before, sounds ugly. Between your issue and learning a new word (haptics), Paceline has been very educational today.

When do you see the doc again and finish up his issue with his cranks? :)

veggieburger
04-30-2021, 01:25 PM
Yikes....that's VERY frightening. Glad they at least know what the heck it is!

benb
04-30-2021, 01:26 PM
Yikes! Best wishes and heal up fast.

That's scary that Covid is blacking out the sun so much now stuff can get misdiagnosed as Covid.

Velocipede
04-30-2021, 03:10 PM
Holy crap - again. Glad you're on the upswing. Never heard of this issue before, sounds ugly. Between your issue and learning a new word (haptics), Paceline has been very educational today.

When do you see the doc again and finish up his issue with his cranks? :)

I see him in 2 weeks. It'll be a lot easier to talk about things this time around tho.

nobuseri
04-30-2021, 03:17 PM
Late to the party, but wanted to wish you well in your recovery. You will be back at it before you know it. Until then, take it slow.

tctyres
04-30-2021, 03:36 PM
I see him in 2 weeks. It'll be a lot easier to talk about things this time around tho.

Heal up! Good to see you posting again.

jtakeda
04-30-2021, 03:42 PM
Holy crap. Heal up sounds scary as hell.

cabbagelookin
04-30-2021, 03:56 PM
Glad you're on the mend! (BTW, this is the same disease process as serious cases of "strangles" in horses. I'm sure you can relate to how it got its name...)

Tickdoc
04-30-2021, 04:39 PM
Geez dude that sounds like a not fun ride....not fun at all.

So you don’t have COVID? Just a potentially deadly abscess in a hard to reach spot!

Glad you are home and heal up. No parts for me right now, but if I had any on order, they could wait.

Sending good vibes your way and heal up fast, Michael.

kiwisimon
04-30-2021, 07:28 PM
Hope you are feeling better. Scary when breathing becomes something you have to put effort into. Take care.

teleguy57
04-30-2021, 08:08 PM
Wow, so glad someone was able to put the puzzle pieces together while they still could! Glad to have you here for sure!

joosttx
04-30-2021, 08:11 PM
Glad you are ok. Heal up.

foggypeake
05-01-2021, 09:19 PM
Happy and relieved to hear that you are on the road to recovery. Get well!

ernmony
05-02-2021, 09:12 AM
Damn, that's one of the worse weeks I have heard in a long time. Heal up fast!

NHAero
05-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Hope you're over the hump and feeling better!

Web1111a
05-02-2021, 05:36 PM
Feel better

Ryun
05-05-2021, 09:54 AM
Missed this earlier...
Hope you are recovering well...

retropean
05-05-2021, 10:40 AM
I did not try to contact you, but I hope you are feeling better.

Pastashop
05-05-2021, 01:03 PM
I’ve enjoyed your posts and book about beautiful switchback riding in the mountains and am sorry to read of the suffering you’ve endured recently. Hope you mend quickly and are whole again. Get well and ride and write lots!

Velocipede
05-22-2021, 05:29 AM
Some of you have messaged me directly so I figured I'd give everyone an update.

So the original infection has cleared up completely. But it was so bad it caused a blood infection which has spread to my spinal bones now. Osteomyelitis is what it's called. It literally kills the bones. When the doctor said "bone death", yeah, I freaked out. My C-3, C-4 and C-5 vertebrate have porosity now due to the bone infection. They are hoping massive amounts of antibiotics will stop it. The other option is going in a cutting out the infection from my bones. So not an option I'm looking at.

I appreciate the good words and thoughts. I've truly needed them the last 8 weeks. I will say, while I'm incredibly frustrated at the healthcare industry, I have great insurance thanks to my wife's job. If I didn't I have no idea what I'd do. We've met our money for the year awhile ago so it's all covered now. But still, how people can do it when catastrophic illness hits, without insurance, it's beyond me.

Anyways, that's what's going on. Our builder partners are still making frames. Everything is moving along even if I'm struggling. But I'm a bit over 50 pounds lighter now. So there is an upside I guess.

Take care everyone. Don't ignore your health.

FlashUNC
05-22-2021, 05:34 AM
Some of you have messaged me directly so I figured I'd give everyone an update.

So the original infection has cleared up completely. But it was so bad it caused a blood infection which has spread to my spinal bones now. Osteomyelitis is what it's called. It literally kills the bones. When the doctor said "bone death", yeah, I freaked out. My C-3, C-4 and C-5 vertebrate have porosity now due to the bone infection. They are hoping massive amounts of antibiotics will stop it. The other option is going in a cutting out the infection from my bones. So not an option I'm looking at.

I appreciate the good words and thoughts. I've truly needed them the last 8 weeks. I will say, while I'm incredibly frustrated at the healthcare industry, I have great insurance thanks to my wife's job. If I didn't I have no idea what I'd do. We've met our money for the year awhile ago so it's all covered now. But still, how people can do it when catastrophic illness hits, without insurance, it's beyond me.

Anyways, that's what's going on. Our builder partners are still making frames. Everything is moving along even if I'm struggling. But I'm a bit over 50 pounds lighter now. So there is an upside I guess.

Take care everyone. Don't ignore your health.

Well, they can't. It generally just leads to financial ruin.

reuben
05-22-2021, 06:07 AM
Wow. Thanks for the update. Here's hoping the next steps are both productive and long lasting.

nobuseri
05-22-2021, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the update. Take it slow and Godspeed in the healing process.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2021, 06:46 AM
Yeegads, good thoughts your way and hopefully the docs will get this under control. Thanks for sharing this terrible journey brother.

I know just words but if there is anything any of us can do for you..just a keyboard away...

Hellgate
05-22-2021, 07:40 AM
50 lbs lighter?!?! You're going to be a climbing machine.

It all seriousness, get well quickly and heal fully.

charliedid
05-22-2021, 07:45 AM
Sounds like you are in good hands Michael.

Be well.

merlinmurph
05-22-2021, 08:14 AM
Good luck thru all this. I wish you well.

Black Dog
05-22-2021, 08:23 AM
You have had a few runs of some bad luck and have bravely shared them with us. Thank you. You are a great presence here and we are luck to have you. All the best.

joosttx
05-22-2021, 08:31 AM
Hang in there. Sounds like a tough journey. Best of luck.

Velocipede
05-22-2021, 09:04 AM
They just updated me on the MRI I had yesterday. I also have Discitis-Osteomyelitis in C4 and C5. That will require antibiotics injected directly into the discs. The discs don't have a good blood supply so they need to inject them directly. That's gonna hurt.

prototoast
05-22-2021, 09:35 AM
I'm really sorry. I hope the latest treatment goes well, and you're able to start feeling better soon.

ryker
05-22-2021, 09:41 AM
They just updated me on the MRI I had yesterday. I also have Discitis-Osteomyelitis in C4 and C5. That will require antibiotics injected directly into the discs. The discs don't have a good blood supply so they need to inject them directly. That's gonna hurt.

If these are anything like disc injections I’ve had (many), it’s easier than going to the dentist.

Velocipede
05-22-2021, 09:58 AM
If these are anything like disc injections I’ve had (many), it’s easier than going to the dentist.

I'm not sure. The MRI yesterday showed this new issue. If they need to numb the area with lidocaine or something, that's where I'll have an issue. Lidocaine doesn't work on me. So I'll feel all of it.

Toeclips
05-22-2021, 10:23 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you, I'm sure you'll get through this you have my support

Monsieur Toast
05-22-2021, 10:32 AM

XXtwindad
05-22-2021, 12:05 PM
Looking forward to your recuperation. Maybe we can enjoy the Warrior's renaissance next season in person.

Cheers.

Velocipede
05-22-2021, 12:27 PM
Looking forward to your recuperation. Maybe we can enjoy the Warrior's renaissance next season in person.

Cheers.

Only if they don't turn it over a thousand times like last night. I'm in a bunch of pain right now due to the problem and last night just added to it.

mhespenheide
05-22-2021, 12:41 PM
Good luck and good health.

2metalhips
05-22-2021, 02:22 PM
Sending best wishes for your health.

s4life
05-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Missed this earlier. Best wishes on your recovery! That felt like a horror drama

superbowlpats
05-22-2021, 05:12 PM
Wishing you all the best, sounds like hell :eek:

Ralph
05-22-2021, 05:23 PM
Get well soon. Sometimes we just get crazy stuff. Great explanation BTW.

tuxbailey
05-22-2021, 06:15 PM
Just caught up with the thread. Best wishes for a full recovery, this is an absolute nightmare.

grateful
05-23-2021, 08:33 AM
Godspeed!

foggypeake
05-23-2021, 08:41 AM
We are wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Get well!

Velocipede
05-23-2021, 09:37 AM
I’m in the ICU now. They are saying I’ll be here for a few days. I’ll let you know what’s up when I can.

AngryScientist
05-23-2021, 10:07 AM
Hang in there pal; we’re pulling for you.

mcteague
05-23-2021, 10:29 AM
At least you weren't in the hospital during the peak of COVID-19. That would really add insult to injury. Get well soon!

Tim

R3awak3n
05-23-2021, 10:34 AM
hope it will all work out well my friend, hang in there!

William
05-23-2021, 10:42 AM
I really hope you have a speedy recovery. Feel better my friend.

William

Clean39T
05-23-2021, 11:02 AM
Same as all the others - wishing you the best!

reuben
05-23-2021, 11:27 AM
I'm really pulling for you, no pun intended. Praying for the best.

robertbb
05-24-2021, 01:01 AM

Bleeding discs is the worst. Stick to rim...

Oh wait.... ;-)

But srsly, get well soon dude!

boywander
05-24-2021, 05:46 AM
Hope you’ll be over these trials soon.
Get well.

Velocipede
05-25-2021, 08:32 AM
So, another update on what's going on. I am still in the ICU (Tuesday Morning). Been in here since Saturday Night. I was have the same neck and shoulder pain as before since I was out of steroids. And my throat was starting to close up and my voice was starting to go. I know the steroids have been keeping those 3 things at bay and allowing me to function but they didn't want me on Prednisone long term. I get it, side effects. But being able breathe is kind of important.

I closed up Saturday, went home, ate dinner and debated going to the ER. About 8pm it got to the point I was like screw it. I hate the er but I need to go. They do the usual stuff, blood tests, bs, randomly come in when you're trying to be comfortable and all that. They finally tell me that due to the MRI the day before, they are keeping me. At least till Monday. I'm starting to freak as I have things to do on Sunday and Monday. I'm trying to get back to normal and I have clients to work with. Yeah, that's not happening they say.

So I finally get put upstairs and all of a sudden, all these doctors who didn't care before are there. It was like magic. They still weren't listening to me, but there were saying they need to kill this infection and they are trying to help.

They do a full spinal MRI (2 hours!). They refuse to give me any steroids. So the whole throat closing up/losing voice thing is there. They just aren't caring as much cause they want to get me on zosyn and vancomycin for the infection.

It turns out that the original diagnoses of the retro-pharyngeal abscess was wrong! I never had it. It looked like it but what I actually have is worse. Spinal Epidural Abscess. This is like a 1mm away from the original area. So instead of the original one being in the soft tissue of my throat pressing on the spine and esophagus, the Spinal Epidural Abscess is actually on my spine, touching it. It's a pocket of infection just like the other, but in a different place. A more dangerous place. And that's what caused the C-3 thru C-5 issues on my spine and discs.

I am being treated with massive doses of antibiotics. I have to have a picc line put in so I can self administer the iv meds for 6-8 weeks. Surgery as always is a last resort cause they need to open up my back and get to my spine.

I'm not Sure if they are taking it more seriously now because the f'ed up the first time for 4+ weeks or because this is the more serious of the problems, like one they just can't believe is happening. I don't know. But I'm still in US Healthcare hell.

whatever the case, I have my laptop now and I can respond to some emails. So that's a plus.

yinzerniner
05-25-2021, 09:31 AM
I'm not Sure if they are taking it more seriously now because the f'ed up the first time for 4+ weeks or because this is the more serious of the problems, like one they just can't believe is happening. I don't know. But I'm still in US Healthcare hell.

Aww man, sending all the good vibes your way. I had a very similar experience a few years ago with the absurdity of modern American healthcare. Small infection initially misdiagnosed by four different "specialists" who spent maybe 45 seconds each looking over my infected knee just to clock in a billable "visit," before prescribing oral antibiotics without drawing any fluid. 24 hours after getting discharged it blew up to the size of a volleyball, and later doctors said that if I'd waited another 12-24 hours there was the possibility of losing my leg.

Stay strong buds, and if possible try to contact a patient advocate.

jpritchet74
05-25-2021, 09:33 AM
Hell yes to the stay strong vibes!

NHAero
05-25-2021, 09:41 AM
Hang in there, Michael, you have a lot of folks here pulling for you and sending the healing vibes your way!

R3awak3n
05-25-2021, 09:47 AM
we are all here with you my dude!

I know we will probably tell you to rest up but I think doing a little work will be good to keep the mind away from whats happening.

reuben
05-25-2021, 10:06 AM
What they said.

I'm super happy that they figured out the true cause. That makes treatment options clearer and more effective.

Velocipede
05-25-2021, 10:06 AM
I know we will probably tell you to rest up but I think doing a little work will be good to keep the mind away from whats happening.

Honestly, the doing work has helped with the mental bs of this.

So an EKG tech just came. They are NOW worried about the infection affecting my heart valves. Gotta love it. I'm half serious on this, but I'm thinking of suing. I've never sought that kind of remedy. But GD!!! I wasted 4+ weeks on a wrong diagnoses all to let the infection get worse to the point they are now worried about my heart valves!!!! Such BS.

JasonF
05-25-2021, 10:19 AM
Mike,

Hang tough! Our daughter has a chronic auto-immune disease and I understand what's it's like being in US healthcare hell. I'm glad they've been able to definitively get to the bottom of what's going on. Hopefully that's a solid step to recovering.

Jason

JasonF
05-25-2021, 10:23 AM

So an EKG tech just came. They are NOW worried about the infection affecting my heart valves. Gotta love it. I'm half serious on this, but I'm thinking of suing. I've never sought that kind of remedy. But GD!!! I wasted 4+ weeks on a wrong diagnoses all to let the infection get worse to the point they are now worried about my heart valves!!!! Such BS.

Get stabilized so you're discharged and go to Cleveland Clinic.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/departments/respiratory/depts/infectious-disease

Velocipede
05-25-2021, 10:28 AM
Get stabilized so you're discharged and go to Cleveland Clinic.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/departments/respiratory/depts/infectious-disease

I should've gone to The Clinic for a second opinion a couple weeks ago. But the CT Scans were showing progress and I was feeling better. So I figured I was solid. But The Clinic is the best in the country. I should've gone there. Pisses me off I didn't.

JasonF
05-25-2021, 10:40 AM
I should've gone to The Clinic for a second opinion a couple weeks ago. But the CT Scans were showing progress and I was feeling better. So I figured I was solid. But The Clinic is the best in the country. I should've gone there. Pisses me off I didn't.

Our daughter (with chronic GI autoimmune disease) was brought by LAFD to Good Samaritan hospital in downtown LA...it's not a good hospital. I got the vibe from across the country (was living in NJ at the time) that her care wasn't great. I jumped on the next flight, discharged her and took her to Cedars Sinai. It's never too late. You could ask for your records when you get discharged and you'll have them should you decide to get a second opinion. Cleveland Clinic is top of the heap...it was a coin toss between that and UPENN when our daughter needed colo-rectal surgery. Penn was only a 45 minute drive at the time so that's where we went.

I'm sure you've said this, but telling the doctors (and nurses and hospitalist if you have one) that you're very concerned that there has been a misdiagnosis, etc...can elevate things. Although it sounds like they're "all hands on deck" for you now.

Last thing I want to do is introduce stress to you...just pointing out some ideas.

flying
05-25-2021, 11:34 AM

So sorry to hear this but, I am also sorry to say I have more bad stories than good when it comes to general medicine & doctors in general.

I hope you get well & get out of there soon

Velocipede
05-25-2021, 12:09 PM
Our daughter (with chronic GI autoimmune disease) was brought by LAFD to Good Samaritan hospital in downtown LA...it's not a good hospital. I got the vibe from across the country (was living in NJ at the time) that her care wasn't great. I jumped on the next flight, discharged her and took her to Cedars Sinai. It's never too late. You could ask for your records when you get discharged and you'll have them should you decide to get a second opinion. Cleveland Clinic is top of the heap...it was a coin toss between that and UPENN when our daughter needed colo-rectal surgery. Penn was only a 45 minute drive at the time so that's where we went.

I'm sure you've said this, but telling the doctors (and nurses and hospitalist if you have one) that you're very concerned that there has been a misdiagnosis, etc...can elevate things. Although it sounds like they're "all hands on deck" for you now.

Last thing I want to do is introduce stress to you...just pointing out some ideas.

Jason, you're fine. No worries here on the comments. We have two great hospitals here with UH and CC. And we have Case for a medical school. I'm very lucky for that. This situation has just proven that not everything is what it appears. And yeah, they are 100000% on board now and going overboard. I just laid into the floor doc about everything. It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow since my misdiagnosis. And to think I could have heart valve issues now due to it sets me off.

On a side note, that's good you were able to get the best care possible for your daughter.

JasonF
05-25-2021, 01:01 PM
they are 100000% on board now and going overboard. I just laid into the floor doc about everything. It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow since my misdiagnosis. And to think I could have heart valve issues now due to it sets me off.

On a side note, that's good you were able to get the best care possible for your daughter.

Good to hear about that and thanks.

Velocipede
06-09-2021, 10:07 PM
UPDATE, June 9th

So I've been admitted to the Cleveland Clinic. They will be doing a spinal fusion surgery on me on Friday. The MRI I had today shows the infection is worse than the MRI 2 weeks ago. They've basically given me no choice other than surgery.

No guarantee of full mobility after it. And there will be an insane amount of pain since pain meds don't work for me. I'm really not looking forward to this.

That and the MRI techs pulled me up so hard from the table, I heard a pop in my neck. AND the lump on my neck is now gone. So I'm pretty sure they broke the abscess around my spine. Sepsis here I come!!!

They are going to go in thru the front and grind away the dead bones and remove the infected discs. Once in, they are going to screw plates into my vertebrate, what's left of them to keep them apart and aligned. I may or may not be able to turn my head or nod afterwards. They don't know until they get in there and figure out how bad it is.

Anyways, yeah, I'm pretty depressed and incredibly pissed. Cause I knew something was wrong and tried to tell people (and Doctors) that I didn't feel like I was getting better. And everyone dismissed it. I'm not looking forward to the recovery and the possibility of never being able to ride a bike or rollercoaster (spinal surgery stops that fun) or any number of activities that I need to turn my head for.

So anyways, the next 5-6 days I will be in the hospital. I have my laptop but I can't use my right arm now since the infection has put pressure on the spinal cords and my right arm is basically jello now.

So that's the update. Sorry to be a bummer.

mhespenheide
06-09-2021, 10:48 PM
Best wishes and hang on.

JasonF
06-09-2021, 10:53 PM
Michael,

So sorry to hear this, but glad you're at one of the best hospitals on the planet.

Hope the surgery goes well.

Jason

Clean39T
06-09-2021, 10:54 PM
UPDATE, June 9th

So I've been admitted to the Cleveland Clinic. They will be doing a spinal fusion surgery on me on Friday. The MRI I had today shows the infection is worse than the MRI 2 weeks ago. They've basically given me no choice other than surgery.

No guarantee of full mobility after it. And there will be an insane amount of pain since pain meds don't work for me. I'm really not looking forward to this.

That and the MRI techs pulled me up so hard from the table, I heard a pop in my neck. AND the lump on my neck is now gone. So I'm pretty sure they broke the abscess around my spine. Sepsis here I come!!!

They are going to go in thru the front and grind away the dead bones and remove the infected discs. Once in, they are going to screw plates into my vertebrate, what's left of them to keep them apart and aligned. I may or may not be able to turn my head or nod afterwards. They don't know until they get in there and figure out how bad it is.

Anyways, yeah, I'm pretty depressed and incredibly pissed. Cause I knew something was wrong and tried to tell people (and Doctors) that I didn't feel like I was getting better. And everyone dismissed it. I'm not looking forward to the recovery and the possibility of never being able to ride a bike or rollercoaster (spinal surgery stops that fun) or any number of activities that I need to turn my head for.

So anyways, the next 5-6 days I will be in the hospital. I have my laptop but I can't use my right arm now since the infection has put pressure on the spinal cords and my right arm is basically jello now.

So that's the update. Sorry to be a bummer.

I'm lost for words other than to wish you the best ..and make sure you know we're all pulling for you to get through this and find health on the other side of it.... one day at a time.

And please don't worry about being a 'bummer' - you're one of us and you'll always be a cyclist, regardless what that looks like in the future - so keep us updated when you can.. and don't be shy about weighing in on the debate du jour - we need to get your take on #kiel_running_gate_2021!

LJohnny
06-09-2021, 10:54 PM
Best wishes and all the best for a successful surgery. Hold fast!

Black Dog
06-09-2021, 10:57 PM
Don't apologize. You have our support. I know what we can do materially is limited but we will do what ever we can to support you. Never hesitate to reach out and let us know what you need and what we can do to stand by you. You have had you fair share of rough patches, you will get through this one as well and you will not be alone. PM's welcome if you want to vent etc away from the pack.

fa63
06-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Sorry it came down to this, but modern medicine can be pretty amazing. Hope it all goes well and you are back on your feet soon. Best wishes.

eippo1
06-09-2021, 11:00 PM
We'll all be thinking good thoughts for your surgery and hopefully they won't have to remove as much as they thought. Either way, heal up quickly especially since you need to avoid the meds.

Let us know if you want us to start up any inane cycling arguments for entertainment like who makes the best valgus wedge and if it's worth the wait time to go with a custom one.

nobuseri
06-09-2021, 11:19 PM
A lot of the above comments sums up what I would like to say to you.

Hoping for a smooth surgery and a fast recovery.

Take it slow and take it one day at a time. We will be here to chat when you’re ready.

weisan
06-09-2021, 11:27 PM
Velo pal, your world has been completely turned upside down without any notice. But you have displayed as much courage and resilience as humanly possible in those circumstances. If anything, your experience is a stark reminder just how fragile we are. Nothing in life is guaranteed, things can change in a minute. This could as easily have happened to any one of us. We need to cherish what we have and focus on what's important. Thank you for being so open and vulnerable. We are your people, let us know if we can help.

2LeftCleats
06-09-2021, 11:47 PM
Good wishes. Being pissed says you’re not giving up. Stay pissed.

tuxbailey
06-10-2021, 12:29 AM
Hoping for the best outcome. Good luck and take care.

joosttx
06-10-2021, 12:38 AM
Good luck. You got this.

Matthew
06-10-2021, 01:40 AM
Wishing you the best in your procedure. You are in great hands at that facility. You are more than due for some good news, hoping that is the case once they get in for a look. Sending good vibes your way!! Matthew

54ny77
06-10-2021, 01:55 AM
Godspeed in a successful recovery and full mobility.

clyde the point
06-10-2021, 04:32 AM
Sending strength and hope!

huck*this
06-10-2021, 05:55 AM
Best wishes buddy. Hoping for the best for you.

oldpotatoe
06-10-2021, 06:36 AM
Words of encouragement fall short somehow but we are all pulling for you and wishing for a great outcome.

And also..if there is ANYTHING a bunch of bike nerds on a silly bike forum can do for you..all ya gotta do is ask.

Velocipede
06-10-2021, 07:11 AM
I'm already losing faith in the Clinic. Listening to the nurse change over, they had a bunch of info wrong in their system. I'm not allergic to lidocaine (it just doesn't work on me) and I never had DVTs in my upper right extremities (it was lower left). It seems trivial but it just shows that even here, the #2 hospital in the country, they screw up. I'm a but disappointed to that the Spine Center here isn't even ranked in the top 20 for specialities. That's not a comfort especially when ENT comes in and says we could nick your vocal cords and you might not be able to talk after this.

SO lets see the possibilities they threw out...
no rollercoasters
no riding
no turning my head
no nodding my head
not being able to talk
no running (incl all forms or sports like soccer)
no skating
no skiing

it's all just no's. well, it's yes to sepsis, yes to long recovery, yes to pain, yes to a feeding tube thru my nose.

yes, I'm quite down this morning.

AngryScientist
06-10-2021, 07:31 AM
oh man, wishing you the best moving forward.

i know it's probably hard to do, but at this stage i would literally take it day by day. dont listen to the things they tell you that you may not be able to do in the future.

this is like replacing a broken seat tube lug on a bike. first we have to take the components off, unbraze the lug; burn some paint. sure, it looks like a mess at the most complex part, but once joe bell gives it a fresh coat of paint and we hang some new super record components on it, it's better than new.

gbcoupe
06-10-2021, 07:36 AM
Ask to see a catalog of their feeding tube offerings. Maybe go custom?

We are all thinking about and rooting for you. Work on getting to a stable point 1st. Then build on what you can and can't do.

Best wishes,

I'm already losing faith in the Clinic. Listening to the nurse change over, they had a bunch of info wrong in their system. I'm not allergic to lidocaine (it just doesn't work on me) and I never had DVTs in my upper right extremities (it was lower left). It seems trivial but it just shows that even here, the #2 hospital in the country, they screw up. I'm a but disappointed to that the Spine Center here isn't even ranked in the top 20 for specialities. That's not a comfort especially when ENT comes in and says we could nick your vocal cords and you might not be able to talk after this.

SO lets see the possibilities they threw out...
no rollercoasters
no riding
no turning my head
no nodding my head
not being able to talk
no running (incl all forms or sports like soccer)
no skating
no skiing

it's all just no's. well, it's yes to sepsis, yes to long recovery, yes to pain, yes to a feeding tube thru my nose.

yes, I'm quite down this morning.

Gsinill
06-10-2021, 07:38 AM
Hoping for your full and speedy recovery...
Looks like you kept your spirits up so far, keep going, and like others said, take it day by day.

Hang in there!
GS

Nooch
06-10-2021, 07:39 AM
Words of encouragement fall short somehow but we are all pulling for you and wishing for a great outcome.

And also..if there is ANYTHING a bunch of bike nerds on a silly bike forum can do for you..all ya gotta do is ask.

just seconding this sentiment. read thru the entire ordeal and while I'm not a praying person, you're absolutely in my thoughts for the best possible outcome.

fellowpicker
06-10-2021, 08:06 AM
This may sound terribly old school but my thoughts and prayers are for your health and wellbeing. Hang tough, things will work out.

paredown
06-10-2021, 08:21 AM
Sending positive thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

As an aside, I hope you have someone there with you--we've found over the years that it is almost a necessity to have someone to back up the person undergoing the surgery or what have you--to act as recorder and as advocate and to keep the train on the tracks.

charliedid
06-10-2021, 08:28 AM
Keep up the great attitude Michael. Life is a roller coaster...

Best wishes.

deechee
06-10-2021, 09:52 AM
It's so frustrating when you feel unheard - hopefully this will be the beginning of your recovery. Good luck tomorrow, and I hope the outcome is much better than what the doctors are predicting.

JasonF
06-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Michael,

Totally empathize. I was wheeled back into ICU (after a bad cycling accident) because my vitals were going south fast. NOTHING scared me more in my entire life than lying there and having two doctors say they had no idea what's going wrong. I've never felt more powerless and that it was all slipping away.

Ask Cleveland Clinic to assign a hospitalist to your case if they haven't already. Ask that person to see you immediately. Their job is to coordinate your care and if there's a problem they can usually escalate things rather than the endless streams of interns, residents and MD's that seemingly wash in and out of your room.

Best of luck my friend.

flying
06-10-2021, 11:40 AM
i know it's probably hard to do, but at this stage i would literally take it day by day. dont listen to the things they tell you that you may not be able to do in the future.

Yes as Angry said day by day & ignore the negative & visualize the positive outcome

Wishing you the best & speediest recovery from this!

bumknees
06-10-2021, 12:00 PM
We love you (most of us in a platonic sort of way), Michael!

robt57
06-10-2021, 12:21 PM
Still keepin an eye on the thread, continued well wishes from our house to yours.

boywander
06-10-2021, 02:32 PM
Hang in there Michael.. though we can’t do much for you at the moment. We are thinking of you and hope you get through this well. You’ve been very patient but keep going.

Velocipede
06-10-2021, 08:59 PM
Tomorrow Morning, 7:15am. Surgery time. They have two option, 1 is more invasive with a lot less mobility than the other but they won't know till they get in and see how bad the bones are. Not looking forward to them telling how bad it was or wasn't and the after surgery pain.

I will say I seem to be in good hands which is a plus but I think it's due to the MRIs and the earlier misdiagnosis. I have the Vice Chair if Infectious Disease in the OR. The Chair of Internal Medicine, the Vice Chair of Neurology in the there and the Vice Chair of ENT. It's crazy the team they assembled. Everyone has been super nice and actually listened to me which was a first (it's the reason I'm in this position to begin with). So I'm in good hands. Just worried still. I've been really lucky in only having 2 surgeries over 47 years (gall bladder and vasectomy). One I'm still in pain from and it ain't the gall bladder. So me having to go thru this is not a normal thing.

Anyways. I'll let you guys know after 4-6 hours of surgery what the found. Hoping for the best but given their facial expressions and concerns and all the tests are showing the infection is out of control, I'm not sure what's gonna happen.

Gsinill
06-10-2021, 09:09 PM
Fingers crossed!!!

warren128
06-10-2021, 09:11 PM
Good luck and best wishes to you.

ojingoh
06-10-2021, 09:59 PM
holy crap! Pulling for you. I thought you were moving or something - OMG this is serious!

LJohnny
06-10-2021, 10:41 PM
All the best wishes for the best outcome tomorrow. I’ll say it again, Hold Fast. We are all pulling for you. I hope they out you in heavy duty antibiotics

Velocipede
06-11-2021, 05:58 AM
All the best wishes for the best outcome tomorrow. I’ll say it again, Hold Fast. We are all pulling for you. I hope they out you in heavy duty antibiotics

6-8 weeks on 3 nuclear level antibiotics to start. Could last longer.
6 months of blood thinners.
MRI's every week
blood tests every Monday
3 weeks of no activity at all with a spinal collar on all the time
then 3 weeks of being able to walk around with a spinal collar on all the time
3 weeks of light activity like lifting 5 pounds max (pretty sure bikes weigh more than 5 pounds). Still with the spinal collar on all the time.
then 3 weeks at 20 pounds.

docs coming in to bother me and getting ready to take me. honestly, I might back out even though there's no alternative to surgery.

VTCaraco
06-11-2021, 06:10 AM
My uncle, one of the fittest, most-active and healthiest people i know, was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

His approach: if your path demands you to walk through hell, walk as if you own the place.

sokyroadie
06-11-2021, 06:12 AM
Prove them wrong during your recovery - you will be a lot faster after the weight loss ;). Best wishes.

Tickdoc
06-11-2021, 06:15 AM
Hang in there, Michael. Sending healing vibes your way and hoping for a complete dissolution of this nasty infection so you can go on to living your life again.

reuben
06-11-2021, 06:45 AM
Prayers and best wishes.

bikerboy337
06-11-2021, 07:13 AM
Hang in there Michael, definitely thinking of you today and wishing you all the best. Hoping the surgery is successful and things can start to progress positively for you these next few weeks...

jimcav
06-11-2021, 07:18 AM
So sorry to check back into this thread and read what has occurred. I'm putting positive vibes out there. You have the right attitude--just keep focused on the future, and I hope you can just take it one day at a time.

onekgguy
06-11-2021, 07:55 AM
Wishes and prayers for as complete a recovery as is possible. You'll be in the hands of some of the best people on the planet. Healthcare workers are nothing short of amazing.

Kevin g

seanile
06-11-2021, 08:31 AM
This is so upsetting to read, I'm really hopeful that everything goes well for you

roguedog
06-11-2021, 09:50 AM
Oh man. Haven't kept up with this thread.

Pulling for you. Breathe. Take it day by day. Sounds like you've got some top dogs on your team.

pnsathyan
06-11-2021, 10:28 AM
Thoughts n prayers with best wishes for the speedy recovery.

dbrown
06-11-2021, 10:44 AM
My thoughts are with you today. Hope all goes well and you recover well.

jasonification
06-11-2021, 11:13 AM
Praying for you this morning.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

teleguy57
06-11-2021, 03:42 PM
Lots of power of prayer in this thread, lots of well-wishes. People coming together for the needs of each other is awesome. I'm adding my prayers as well for your surgeons and other caregivers, and for your positive attitude and will to be better continues through all the upcoming ups and down. Looking for the longer-term to be up!

Velocipede
06-12-2021, 08:46 AM
Surgery update:

8 hours. Much longer than expected.

They planned on going thru the front and attach plates and screws and grind away the dead bone. But once they got in there, There was much more dead bone so they had to bring in another table and flip me over to go thru my back.
they cut away 50% of my C4 vertebate. So they put a cage in it to support things and attached the plates to that. they added rods as well. So they attached to C3 and C6 due to the excessive damage.

There was no sign of the retropharyngeal abcess. Just the Spinal one. So it was a misdiagnosis for 5 weeks.

Supposedly I told everyone in the OR to go **** themselves as I was getting put under. The recovery nurse said that it's common to say something that was on you mind right before you go under. Well the Spinal Dr was being a dick and was guilt tripping me and actual said I was making him not want to help me! It was ****ed up.

I'm in pain but sore more than anything. hard to swallow since I had a trachea tube in for 8 hours.

I was told I'll lose 40% of up and down motion and 20% side to side. And since they did so much more than they expected, they expect my neck/spine to start needing support in the next 4-5 years. so my spine is going to progressively get worse.

I have to do iv antibiotics for 6-8 weeks and blood thinners for 6 months. Long recovery time with physical therapy and it'll be like 6 months to a year.

Very tired.

herb5998
06-12-2021, 08:51 AM
Good to hear you’re out of surgery safely!

gbcoupe
06-12-2021, 09:09 AM
All in all, that sounds like good news. Good to hear you're out of surgery and alert. Now go get yourself healthy and mobile as can be.

Tickdoc
06-12-2021, 09:35 AM
Holy hell. So lucky you have all your bits and pieces moving. Any clue how the vertebrae got infected in the first place. Recovery will be slow, I presume? Thanks for the update and wishing you continued healing and a fast recovery.

Ever ridden a recumbent?;)

R3awak3n
06-12-2021, 09:45 AM
You are on the path to recovery! They are going to tell you worse case scenarios and as they did not really know what was really up they can't really know the outcome so all hopes it is better than the prediction.

That goes to say but definitely take PT as serious as you can. I will admit I did not when I broke my ankle and the recovery was way longer than it should have been.

Glad surgery went well, 8 hours man, that is a LONG time. My longest was 5 hours and it was not fun when I woke up, I can't imagine 8.

Clean39T
06-12-2021, 10:24 AM
Had you in my thoughts all day. Glad you are through the surgery.. Like was said above, they give the worst case. Work diligently at your rehab and who knows what the future may hold. Please keep connected here. We need your wisdom to keep us on the straight and narrow :beer:

reuben
06-12-2021, 11:39 AM
Supposedly I told everyone in the OR to go **** themselves as I was getting put under. The recovery nurse said that it's common to say something that was on you mind right before you go under. Well the Spinal Dr was being a dick and was guilt tripping me and actual said I was making him not want to help me! It was ****ed up.

Well, they say that you should always be honest with those providing your medical care. ;)

I haven't had it done myself, but I know others who have had similar surgeries. It's a long recovery, but it pays to be diligent without pushing the envelope too far, too fast.

Rest up, get back to real food.

And keep us posted.

VTCaraco
06-12-2021, 12:12 PM
Been thinking of you a lot, so super-glad to see this update.

As stated, sounds like a BIG part of this is now behind you.
Hope you find the right balance between pushing hard and giving your body some time to heal.

tuxbailey
06-12-2021, 12:39 PM
I think it was much better result than many here were worried. Glad that you are back and in good spirits.

jimcav
06-12-2021, 01:57 PM
I am glad I am west coast and did not have to be anxious for updates.
Regarding the loss of range of motion; I have seen a few multilevel fusions in coworkers and family/family friends, and they kept up usual activities.
I know adjacent-level disease is a thing down the road (arthritis-type impacts to the levels above and below the fusion hardware which get more stress as only these vertebral levels can provide movement) but I think there are things you can do to mitigate that.
Anyway, I am glad it is done and that your recovery is starting now. I wish you any needed strength to take the long view as you recover.

markie
06-12-2021, 02:30 PM
This has been quite the story. Hopefully the worst is behind you. It really sounds like the surgery went well and that the outcome should be positive from here.

ojingoh
06-12-2021, 02:37 PM
Glad you made it out of surgery. Neck stuff is scary, take it easy on yourself.

Black Dog
06-13-2021, 05:04 PM
Relieved that you are out and safe from the surgery! I know that you have a long road ahead of you but you certainly can count on a lot of support from folks here. If you are having trouble finding things to be positive about let us help you look. Please reach out when you need to.

boywander
06-13-2021, 06:10 PM
Glad you’re out or the surgery and kudos on telling the doc how it is!

paredown
06-14-2021, 09:18 AM
Jeebus--12 hrs with a trach--that is a long time...

We're all rooting for you--and doctors are a conservative bunch when talking about long term prognoses. Be careful, be diligent with diet, therapy and exercise--and careful with the latter--and take it one day at a time.

I'm inclined to pessimism--but one of my pals always tells me--"don't think of it as loss, think of it as different" and then see what you can do.

tv_vt
06-14-2021, 10:28 AM
Ugh, you have not had a good spring, to put it mildly. Add me to your corner in this fight. Know you have lots of people sending good thoughts your way.

Thom

Velocipede
06-15-2021, 07:11 AM
Picture updates

So the first picture, the MRI shows that C3 and C4 are black in color. I'm not a doctor but when I saw that, I was like, yeah, I bet there's a problem there. You can see that C2 is grayish and so is C5. So ground away 50% of C3 and C4 and put what they call a "Cage" in there to keep the space open. Since there is no bone or disc there, that's what they do. Then they put in a bunch of rods, plates and screws to keep things stabile. Doesn't look stable. Looks like a ****ty lego build honestly. But they are confident this is the best method.

I had 2 drains in, 1 front, 1 back. The dr pulled them both yesterday. Another step before more leaving. Hurt like hell since they were in my neck. One of them, I was having like stabbing pain and when it was pulled, it felt so much better. Didn't know that was the problem till it was gone.

Incisions are bad. Long mainly. Closed up with glue and dissolving stitches. So I was able to get a shower for the first time since Thursday night. Felt so good. Still having troubling moving my right arm which was one of the issues I had that pushed me to the ER and surgery.

jpritchet74
06-15-2021, 07:23 AM
WOW. Thanks for the update! Glad to see that you are on the mend.

nobuseri
06-15-2021, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the update. Godspeed in the recovery process.
We are rooting for you.

reuben
06-15-2021, 08:13 AM
I'm not a doctor, but in my second party experience with such cages, they're used so that bone can grow back in the cage. Sometimes an artificial substance is used if the cavity is large enough.

Godspeed Velocipede!

tuxbailey
06-15-2021, 08:20 AM
I have to say, modern medical science is quite amazing.

2LeftCleats
06-15-2021, 10:08 AM
Like the Cleveland Clinic team jersey

redir
06-15-2021, 10:30 AM
I've been absent a bit here and just catching up. There are no words except I truly feel for you and hope you have much much better days soon. I can somewhat relate to as a close friend of mine nearly died not from what his problem was but because of a misdiagnoses and catching a very very nasty infection in the hospital. For him it literally dragged out almost a year.

Anyway Godspeed my man. Keep the chin up, keep fighting.

JasonF
06-15-2021, 11:49 AM
Michael, you are one tough dude!

As someone who went through a long (multi-year, multiple surgery), slow and painful recovery I can empathize with any frustration you may have. As a cyclist/athlete your body will hopefully recover and respond well.

LOL on the lego-construction. I told my orthopedic surgeon that it looked like an eighth grade shop class put the hardware in my leg. He didn't laugh.

jr59
06-15-2021, 03:37 PM
I’ve been following, all I can say is heal up my forum friend. Don’t give up, NEVER!

Safe to say all of us are wishing you well

oldpotatoe
06-16-2021, 06:05 AM
Picture updates

So the first picture, the MRI shows that C3 and C4 are black in color. I'm not a doctor but when I saw that, I was like, yeah, I bet there's a problem there. You can see that C2 is grayish and so is C5. So ground away 50% of C3 and C4 and put what they call a "Cage" in there to keep the space open. Since there is no bone or disc there, that's what they do. Then they put in a bunch of rods, plates and screws to keep things stabile. Doesn't look stable. Looks like a ****ty lego build honestly. But they are confident this is the best method.

I had 2 drains in, 1 front, 1 back. The dr pulled them both yesterday. Another step before more leaving. Hurt like hell since they were in my neck. One of them, I was having like stabbing pain and when it was pulled, it felt so much better. Didn't know that was the problem till it was gone.

Incisions are bad. Long mainly. Closed up with glue and dissolving stitches. So I was able to get a shower for the first time since Thursday night. Felt so good. Still having troubling moving my right arm which was one of the issues I had that pushed me to the ER and surgery.

BUT, the best part is getting to see you pink instead of :eek:......Eyes closed but not permanently...:)

Hell of a journey, something you don't wish on your worse enemy...or poli.......won't say it..:eek:

Docs are weird sometimes..scientists, pragmatic, not much touchy/feely, poor 'bedside' manor. Sometimes they just need to ST_U, and try to put themselves in the patient's place.

Patients with patience and patient with patients..

One day at a time...at least you get great food..:p

paulh
06-16-2021, 06:09 AM
There are easier ways to get Jello.

gone
06-16-2021, 08:03 AM
Docs are weird sometimes..scientists, pragmatic, not much touchy/feely, poor 'bedside' manor. Sometimes they just need to ST_U, and try to put themselves in the patient's place.

^^^^
This.

A friend of mine had a very serious operation when he was 12. His parents were worried and borderline panicked that he wouldn't survive the surgery. When the surgeon came out post-op they asked "how did it go". The surgeon replied "as expected" and walked away.

robt57
06-16-2021, 09:06 AM
Neurologists and Cardiologists especially seemingly.

I actually now have the 'rare' cardio doc that is super friendly and communicative, not my previous experience. I do have to say I enjoy a pompous Dr.'s reaction when I fire them. I take no prisoners 'period' when it comes to my health.

Hope the OP is doing well!!

^^^^
This.

A friend of mine had a very serious operation when he was 12. His parents were worried and borderline panicked that he wouldn't survive the surgery. When the surgeon came out post-op they asked "how did it go". The surgeon replied "as expected" and walked away.

cgolvin
06-16-2021, 12:12 PM
First and foremost, glad you're out of surgery and moving forward. With the power of paceline positive thinking propelling you, I expect a recovery ahead of schedule. (I'm personally counting on it, as you know.)

The talk of MDs reminds me of an old joke:

Doctor dies, arrives in heaven and confronts a long line waiting to get in.
Figuring that he's entitled, he strolls to the front of the line, presents himself to St. Peter, says "I served God & humanity in its foremost capacity, can you just let me in?"
Peter says "we're all equal here, get to the back of the line."
As he starts trudging back he's passed by someone wearing a white coat and a stethoscope who gets to the pearly gates and Peter ushers through unimpeded.
Outraged, he returns to Peter and says "WTH, you just let that person right through!"
Peter: "Oh, that's God -- thinks he's a doctor"

ERK55
06-16-2021, 06:33 PM
First and foremost, glad you're out of surgery and moving forward. With the power of paceline positive thinking propelling you, I expect a recovery ahead of schedule. (I'm personally counting on it, as you know.)

The talk of MDs reminds me of an old joke:

Doctor dies, arrives in heaven and confronts a long line waiting to get in.
Figuring that he's entitled, he strolls to the front of the line, presents himself to St. Peter, says "I served God & humanity in its foremost capacity, can you just let me in?"
Peter says "we're all equal here, get to the back of the line."
As he starts trudging back he's passed by someone wearing a white coat and a stethoscope who gets to the pearly gates and Peter ushers through unimpeded.
Outraged, he returns to Peter and says "WTH, you just let that person right through!"
Peter: "Oh, that's God -- thinks he's a doctor"

Hahahahaha

Velocipede
06-18-2021, 09:51 AM
So I am officially OUT of the hospital as of late last night. I have Lego in my neck and am incredibly sore and NOT mobile like I'd hope. But I just left so I know it's just a me being new thing right now. They claim I have a blood clot but they refused to show me the scan so I don't believe them.

Anyways, I'm out, trying to get back to normal and catch up on everything. Thanks for the good words. Appreciate it.

LJohnny
06-18-2021, 10:45 AM
Glad to hear that you are out of the hospital. Just try not to go overboard trying to do too much and take it easy as much as feasible for a while. I would imagine that the first weeks are critical for healing. Best wishes for you!

robt57
06-18-2021, 11:20 AM
How do the fixing points into your skull for the device they clamped on your head for the flip on the table feel?

Best recovery!!!

So I am officially OUT of the hospital as of late last night. I have Lego in my neck and am incredibly sore and NOT mobile like I'd hope. But I just left so I know it's just a me being new thing right now. They claim I have a blood clot but they refused to show me the scan so I don't believe them.

Anyways, I'm out, trying to get back to normal and catch up on everything. Thanks for the good words. Appreciate it.

Velocipede
06-18-2021, 11:45 AM
How do the fixing points into your skull for the device they clamped on your head for the flip on the table feel?

Best recovery!!!

You know, I was wondering why my head hurt in certain spots and were no where near the main incisions. Thanks for tell me!!! I honestly wondered why I had pain in certain spots. They hurt quite a bit right now. I was wondering why I had blood in weird places too. I never thought about having the cradle around my head for the flip.

robt57
06-18-2021, 11:52 AM
I honestly wondered why I had pain in certain spots. They hurt quite a bit right now. I was wondering why I had blood in weird places too. I never thought about having the cradle around my head for the flip.

The fixing points are, well points. The need to securely clamp into your skull. So yeah, I bet along with all your other pain, that isn't insignificant.

Hang in there, time will speed up and this will be behind you before you know it. At least it sounds good to say/read that! ;)

BTW, my wife is a highly experienced surgical tech working in theater for 23 years now. I know a lot more than I need to about lots of some more interesting points in this area... ;)

Ryun
06-18-2021, 12:26 PM
Glad to hear you are out of surgery and beginning the recovery process.

buddybikes
06-18-2021, 12:35 PM
Ask about a bone growth stimulator, basically a neck brace that pumps electrical stimulation to stimulate bone growth. https://www.spineuniverse.com/resource-center/bone-growth-stimulation/patient-guide-bone-growth-stimulation

Worked on my lumbar.

Good luck. What you have in there appears to be normal spine hardware. Permanent titanium

JasonF
06-18-2021, 12:39 PM
Ask about a bone growth stimulator, basically a neck brace that pumps electrical stimulation to stimulate bone growth. https://www.spineuniverse.com/resource-center/bone-growth-stimulation/patient-guide-bone-growth-stimulation

+2...the stimulator helped one of my open tibia fractures. I still have 2 "non-union" fractures that nothing would have helped (other than the rod, plates, screws, etc...holding it together).

Toddtwenty2
06-18-2021, 02:02 PM
I'm glad to hear that you're out of surgery and back home. This is a pretty awful ordeal that you have had to endure.
While the recovery will surely be unpleasant, I hope you found some relief in getting past the surgery and out of the hospital.

Velocipede
06-18-2021, 04:29 PM
I'm glad to hear that you're out of surgery and back home. This is a pretty awful ordeal that you have had to endure.
While the recovery will surely be unpleasant, I hope you found some relief in getting past the surgery and out of the hospital.

Thanks. Glad to be out. As for you, you have something heading out tomorrow!

Velocipede
06-18-2021, 04:32 PM
The fixing points are, well points. The need to securely clamp into your skull. So yeah, I bet along with all your other pain, that isn't insignificant.

Hang in there, time will speed up and this will be behind you before you know it. At least it sounds good to say/read that! ;)

BTW, my wife is a highly experienced surgical tech working in theater for 23 years now. I know a lot more than I need to about lots of some more interesting points in this area... ;)

Honestly, It never dawned on me they put a Halo on me. I was out so had no clue what was going on. Didn't know till afterwards that I told everyone to F' Off.

Yeah, the contact points are sore. Makes sense tho. The biggest issue is the right arm is still weak. I was to the point the spinal canal was compressing on the nerves and my right arm was going weak and shaking at times. It's still not normal since I have so much inflammation in my neck but at least I'm home. Just trying to get back to normal.

gasman
06-18-2021, 04:36 PM
They don't put the halo on until you are completely anesthetized "asleep" then it's removed before you wake up. It look brutal but is actually the safest way to have you face don to work on the back of your neck.

Brutal surgery. Best of luck recovering and be patient.

Velocipede
06-18-2021, 04:37 PM

Worked on my lumbar.

Good luck. What you have in there appears to be normal spine hardware. Permanent titanium

+2...the stimulator helped one of my open tibia fractures. I still have 2 "non-union" fractures that nothing would have helped (other than the rod, plates, screws, etc...holding it together).

I can't. I spoke to the doctor about it already. I'm not even allowed to use anti-inflamitories or steroids. They are super concerned about everything given how bad the infection was. A friend of mine had a BGS on his leg after surgery. He even did races while wearing it! His surgeon told him flat out, you take a year off or I will never work on you again. The guy was the Ortho surgeon for the Indians. He was the Chairman of Ortho at the Clinic at one point. The guy I wanted my 2nd opinion from who was backed up 2mth for appts is the Chairman. My surgeon is Vice-Chair. My Infectious Disease doc is Vice-Chair, the ENT is Vice-Chair. I had some incredible doctors jump on my case after they saw my MRI.

Velocipede
06-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Glad to hear you are out of surgery and beginning the recovery process.

Thanks. Appreciate the good words.

joosttx
06-18-2021, 05:00 PM
Sound like you are in the road to recovery. Godspeed.

boywander
06-18-2021, 10:45 PM
Glad you’re out of surgery and no complications. Also on the road to recovery.

buddybikes
06-19-2021, 05:40 AM
I can't. I spoke to the doctor about it already. I'm not even allowed to use anti-inflamitories or steroids. They are super concerned about everything given how bad the infection was. A friend of mine had a BGS on his leg after surgery. He even did races while wearing it! His surgeon told him flat out, you take a year off or I will never work on you again. The guy was the Ortho surgeon for the Indians. He was the Chairman of Ortho at the Clinic at one point. The guy I wanted my 2nd opinion from who was backed up 2mth for appts is the Chairman. My surgeon is Vice-Chair. My Infectious Disease doc is Vice-Chair, the ENT is Vice-Chair. I had some incredible doctors jump on my case after they saw my MRI.

Interesting. Yes any NSAID or steroid is a no no for 6 months as it inhibits bone growth. Stimulator is interesting, as this device is specifically to aid in bone growth (fusion). Looks like you have a plan with experts.

Velocipede
06-19-2021, 08:40 AM
Interesting. Yes any NSAID or steroid is a no no for 6 months as it inhibits bone growth. Stimulator is interesting, as this device is specifically to aid in bone growth (fusion). Looks like you have a plan with experts.

He didn't give a reason. But he was 1 of 2 docs trying to finish up and get out of the room so I'll ask him again in a week when I see him.