PDA

View Full Version : If I can't be fast, I might as well look good...

TiGuy
03-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Style question: My Concours has a matte ti finish with yellow Serotta decals. I like the idea of using yellow bar tape, but Cinelli’s yellow cork tape is sort of greenish, and doesn’t look great with Serotta’s yellow decals, which are more orange-y.

Anyone know of a yellow cork (or cork-like) bar tape that’s a better match for Serotta’s yellow decals?

dash
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
doesn't serotta sell colored cork bar tape?

TiGuy
03-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes, but the web store doesn't show any yellow tape.

dash
03-07-2007, 04:33 PM
e-ritchie has yellow "padded" bar tape on http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachstoys.html [scroll down]

Steelhead
03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
try Bontrager, Profile, and FiZik

TiGuy
03-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Problem is, you can't really tell on a computer monitor what the exact color is. And my local bike shops tend to have little selection beyond Cinelli.

I'm hoping someone with yellow Serotta decals has found a good match.

IMHO, a bad match is mega-ugly, and I'd be better off with black. But I'd really like a splash of color on my unpainted Ti bike.

michael white
03-07-2007, 05:28 PM
what I did my with my Merlin was use black tape, but then went a whole different direction with the seat (light blue Aliante, doesn't match anything but looks great.)

FWIW

BumbleBeeDave
03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
. . . has yellow bar tape that's an almost perfect match for Serotta decals. I use it on the Queen Bee. Deda also makes both a school bus yellow and a color labelled "orange" that is very close to being more yellow than orange. But I'm not sure it's cork. The Bontrager certainly isnt'

BBD

michael white
03-07-2007, 06:19 PM
that's right, I have a friend who uses a whole lot of Bontrager tape. The colors are noticably rich and it's soft stuff, whatever it is.

TiGuy
03-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I see on the Bontrager website that they have several kinds of tape, including a cork, a cork gel and some unidentified substance "grippy tape." The cork gel yellow does have a near-orange look. There's a Trek superstore not far from me that ought to be well-stocked with Bontrager stuff. (Trek still owns them, right?) I'll check it out.

Thanks!

BumbleBeeDave
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
. . . but check around onthe B-Trager tape. I've seen it much cheaper ($3-4) in stores other than Trek "company" stores.

BBD

TiGuy
03-08-2007, 08:04 PM
The happy ending:

Bought and installed some yellow Bontrager gel cork tape this evening. Can't imagine a better match with the Serotta decals. Looks like nice, cushy stuff, too. (And, just so it didn't have the Trek evil empire look, I didn't use the big "B" end plugs or finishing tape.)

Quite stylish. Maybe I'll post the requisite garage door picture when I get a chance this weekend.

Now, if only the snow would melt...