PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the wrecking?

Bud
03-07-2007, 10:08 AM
So I go all of last year without a single wreck, and so far this year I've had two. The first was about a month ago on some ice, and this morning it was a killer sidewalk edge that jumped out of nowhere and got me. :crap:

I was riding to work and had just stopped to get a loaf of bread which I was carrying inside my jacket to keep from smashing. Luckily, the bread (and the bike) survived. My left elbow and knee are pretty sore, though.

What the hell? I think I am losing coordination, or else the law of averages is at work here.

Oh well- it is a beautiful day here.

Karin Kirk
03-07-2007, 10:19 AM
What kind of bread was it?

Bud
03-07-2007, 10:45 AM
A loaf of sesame rolls- they smell great. I got it at Wild Foods/Whole Oats.

Waldo
03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
About two years ago, I went through a 15-month period with 6 crashes. Then I promised my wife: "no more crashes." Haven't crashed since. I don't race, so most of them are my fault... Perhaps if I raced they'd be my fault too :bike:

J.Greene
03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Perhaps if I raced they'd be my fault too :bike:

If you raced in FL it would be someone from the Orlando Road Club that would take you out......I shouldn't say those things, but it's true.

JG

coylifut
03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
I had a dumb-a$$ crash two weeks ago on some wet railroad tracks that I tried to hop and didn't clear. It was really wet and slick tarmac and I spun like a break dancer on my a$$ for 20 feet. It happened at minute 45 of a 3 hour ride. It took about 10 minutes for Christoph to straighten out my fenders.

The wreck before that was about 3 years ago in the dark. I came around a corner on a route I've ridded for years, but in the prior week the curb had been built out and a wheel chair ramp installed. It took me by surprise and my front wheel grazed the curb and down I went.

$hit happens. My favorite is when someone tells me they never wreck. About two weeks later I see em on the ground.

stevep
03-07-2007, 02:06 PM
bud,
i think that you have cleared the next 2 yrs.
good luck, they come in batches.
s

SponsorsWanted
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Wrecked two days ago, first ride back after trying to recover from guess what? That's right, a wreck... I'd torn up my back pretty bad about a month ago and needed a break. Anyway, I'd let my roomate borrow my bike frequently because he can't afford more than a Tiagra ladden monstrosity that Giant threw together. He'd suffered a flat a few days ago and patched the tube but neglected to chang the tube when he got home. Because it was my first ride in awhile I let loose on a descent for some thrills and naturally the patched tube couldn't take the hard cornering and went flat about halfway down. Wrecked my jersey and shorts but I'm fine. Lesson learned: check out your ride if you've been neglecting it. Make sure everything is pristine.

mosca
03-07-2007, 02:41 PM
I went down last Saturday, and, IIRC, it's the first time I've ever crashed a road bike (mountain bikes are another story...). I took a corner too fast and the front end washed-out on the extra-generously wide and slippery white crosswalk paint. I've been running some cheaper Bontrager tires recently, so I think I'll go ahead and blame Trek for my misfortune this time, and hope this multi-crash scenario that some of you are experiencing will not apply to me... ;)

Heal fast!

BoulderGeek
03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
I just got back from a ride in the same relative area that Bud lives in. There's definitely a lit of schmutz on the roads. I did see sweepers out yesterday, which is a good sign.

I rode my motorcycle on Sunday, and slid the front end. Scary! Especially on a classic bike whose plasticwork only came in that one color that one year, 15 years ago.

I hate get-offs, and I really try to avoid them.

Sorry to hear it, Bud. Perhaps you've paid it up front, and can get through the rest of the year unscathed.

scrooge
03-07-2007, 02:57 PM
My favorite is when someone tells me they never wreck. About two weeks later I see em on the ground.

Well, I never...oh, never mind.

Kevan
03-07-2007, 03:16 PM
leave you falls for those times when you don't unclip in time or are at a stand still, lose your balance, and flop over. Umm..the bigger group of onlookers you have, the better.

At my mother-in-law's apartment complex several years ago, I got an applause that would rival anything Barbara Streisand would receive for singing Since I fell for You.