PDA

View Full Version : Is Cycling Really Such A Big Deal??

Sandy
03-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Is cycling really such a big deal? I have determined my answer to the question over the last few months:

Due to a persistent problem that I have been experiencing for the last few years, my cycling miles have steadily decreased. I did my last ride a little less than 3 months ago. Since then zippo, nothing....So, have I really noticed any difference in myself? Is cycling really such a big deal? The answer is quite clear to me:

Prior to terminating my cycling, I had strong legs (for my age) and strength was certainly my best (and probably only) attribute in cycling. My heart was very strong- I did exceptionally well in a stress test just a few years ago. My legs felt great, with no knee problems to note. I felt young for my age. But now all has changed, after just 3 months away from cycling (my sole form of real exercise). I no longer walk up steps. I actually climb steps with genuine difficulty. My leg strength has decreased dramatically. I am having problems with my left knee, unlike I have ever had. Just a few years ago, I used to enjoy shoveling my driveway and a couple of others, after significant snow. Now I avoid it and breathe more heavily if I do shovel.

I very much miss sharing rides with Smiley and some of my other Serotta friends and I no longer participate in club rides. I have made reservations for the Serotta Open house, but really wonder if I will make it. I have gained weight, which both disgusts and embarrasses me.

Probably the most significant statement I can make is that, for the first time in my life, I feel as if I have aged significantly, all this perceived aging occurring since I have not participated in cycling.

So is cycling really such a big deal? To me the resounding answer is yes, and hopefully I will get back to it soon. Stay on your bikes folks, as cycling really is a big deal. Decidedly so.

Sandy

deechee
03-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Definitely. I appreciate biking every spring when the snow melts enough and I can sneak in that first ride. I'm a whole lot happier and more productive when I'm able to ride outside early in the morning and enjoy being out there.

That said, don't worry about the extra pounds, if you lost it once, you know you'll always be able to do it again. I first started triathlon to become healthier before I hit 25. After 5 years I've become incredibly happier and have a whole new group of great friends. I took last fall off since my gf was exhausted after a full summer racing and I realized I had been training with the same triathlon team for 5 years non-stop. I gained a healthy gut over the last few months and I gotta admit, losing it has been a lot harder than when I was younger (and single).

As you pointed out, this time off makes you appreciate cycling that much more, and that's all that matters. I hope you get to be back on the bike soon :)

Serotta PETE
03-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Cycling and exercise are a big deal to keeping us happy and healthy.

It can also be a great social event...

When we stop exercising our body goes backward for it does not like in activity. Things do not work as well both mentally and physically.

Exercise is a key to a "better life" but it is a difficult task of convincing folks.

Good news about biking and about friendship...IT IS ALWAYS THERE>

Get back on that bike, come see me and bring the bike, visit friends for a social ride.....

COME TO THE OPEN HOUSE ALSO>

Your friend and pest/ PETE

Climb01742
03-07-2007, 08:22 AM
sandy, at open house, riding is just an excuse to hang out. whether you want to ride or not, or ride slowly or just a bit, please come. hanging with you would be cool.

93legendti
03-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes! I have made great friends from cycling; seen beautiful countries because of cycling; have the energy to chase my 2 young kids all day because of cycling; look younger than my college friends (and my brothers) because of cycling; feel better than I did 20 years ago because of cycling and have a great hobby to plan my days around because of cycling. YES!!

Too Tall
03-07-2007, 08:35 AM
For whatever reason(s) you've stopped cycling I hope they would not stop you from exercising? Time to get back on the right track bucko. How about swimming or rowing? Fast dog walking...I've got geriatric poodles who will kick your butt :) Thoughts?

djg
03-07-2007, 08:55 AM
It's a crummy day to get back on the horse, but it'll clear up soon enough. Just try to get on the bike for a little spin as soon as the sky clears and you feel up to it. If you don't feel like much of a ride, try a few blocks--keep going if it feels ok and stop when you've had enough. I bet that even one short ride will feel good.

You don't need a group ride to get going again, but by all means show up if you think company would help. I know, I know, I've been on a few Smiley-organized rides and the pack of top international pros/movies stars can be a bit intimidating for those of us stuck with more pedestrian looks and talent, but, really, they're just normal folks deep down and I have a strong hunch they'd be glad to see you. If you ever want to take a little spin down in NoVA, I'd be glad to roll at whatever pace suits you.

Good luck with it, Sandy.

Sandy
03-07-2007, 08:56 AM
For whatever reason(s) you've stopped cycling I hope they would not stop you from exercising? Time to get back on the right track bucko. How about swimming or rowing? Fast dog walking...I've got geriatric poodles who will kick your butt :) Thoughts?

Geriatric turtles would kick my butt. You know that I love dogs. But my heart is in walking dogs at the Montgomery County Humane Society. They really need the walking. I started back a couple of weeks ago and walked some. I hope to go there today.

Poodle Power!

Serotta PETE
03-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Geriatric turtles would kick my butt. You know that I love dogs. But my heart is in walking dogs at the Montgomery County Humane Society. They really need the walking. I started back a couple of weeks ago and walked some. I hope to go there today.

Poodle Power!

"Dogs Welcome"

A man wrote a letter to a small hotel in a Midwest town he planned to visit on his vacation.

He wrote: I would very much like to bring my dog with me.
He is well-groomed and very well behaved. Would you be willing to permit me to keep him in my room with me at night?"

An immediate reply came from the hotel owner, who wrote:

"I've been operating this hotel for many years. In all that time, I've never had a dog steal towels, bedclothes, silverware or pictures off the walls. I've never had to evict a dog in the middle of the night for being drunk and disorderly. And I've never had a dog run out on a hotel bill. Yes, indeed, your dog is welcome at my hotel.
And, if your dog will vouch for you, you're welcome to stay here, too."

Ray
03-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Sandy,

Staying healthy, productive, and happy is a BIG DEAL. Cycling is one contributor to being all of those things, but it's not the only way and, like any obsession, can lead us far beyond that state if we take it too seriously. Me, I love riding a bike. But not all the time. My need for / love of cycling ebbs and flows like most things. I enjoyed riding a fair amount last year and last winter was mild enough that I enjoyed riding through the winter. But THIS winter (starting early January) has been pretty brutal and I think I've only ridden about half a dozen times so far this year. When I have ridden, I probably haven't done more than 30-35 miles and the last few rides have shown me how far my conditioning has fallen off. And, yeah, advancing age makes the whole lardbuttedness thing that much more noticeable.

But, for some reason, I don't mind any of this. I'm kind of enjoying being a couch potato for a while. I've been working, enjoying my family (and dog), catching up on some movies and books, generally relaxing. Staying warm and hibernating instead of pushing myself to be hard-core, which I've done at times. I don't feel any real need or desire to ride more right now. I'm sure that when the weather eases up (we had a few nice days last week, but the last couple have been brutal again and its snowing as I write) I'll get back into it and by May or June I'll probably feel like I'm in reasonably good shape again. But it's cool that I don't feel that way now. I know when I ramp it up, it'll be a while before I go on group rides because, as much as I enjoy the company, those rides tend to get pretty intense and semi-competitive and I don't enjoy them until I'm in shape. In the mean time, I'll meander and just enjoy it on whatever level feels right.

Cycling is a great way to get/stay in shape, particularly as we get older. But it's not the only way. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. The bike will be there when you're ready for it.

-Ray

Too Tall
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
That's good news Bambi :)

Chad Engle
03-07-2007, 09:37 AM
I feel your pain Sandy. In my knees and waist. I eagerly await the snow melt, hopefully the last for the year. I just can't seem to make the trainer a regular thing, but I have high hopes for more riding this summer.

Get on your bikes and ride.

Karin Kirk
03-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree completely. Cycling isn't just our sport, it's our community and lifestyle. I hope that with the arrival of warmer temps, clear roads and this year's spring cycling fashions, you find yourself compelled and able to get back on your bike and out there with your pals.

Until then, power walk those doggies!

Kevan
I often think too much doing or thinking cycling is unhealthy too. What impact does my obsession for two wheels have on my family? I'm not too sure I've properly behaved myself to that end.

Balance. I recently built up my beater bike (Yet another obsession. There will be pictures and a ride report eventually.) that enables me to take riding to a different level. I've learned that as much as I enjoy my barnstorming club rides, where as a season progresses, our talents improve from a B+ category to the club’s highest A level, it comes at a cost. Every weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, I have to be there with the boys beating it up some hillside so I can stay in their game. Frankly, I’m getting a bit frustrated with “having” to do these rides. I love mixing it up slow and fast. I enjoy calling a pal and asking to go for a casual ride. Sandy, there’s nothing like rolling the bike out and simply hitting the local bike path. You just need that little kick to put on the riding duds, inflate the bike’s tires and aim for the path.

We get too caught up in performance that we lose sight of the more important aspect of cycling: getting outside, pushing one pedal after the other, and taking in the day. My beater bike was built just to do that, take in the day.

Here’s my suggestion, take a camera with you on the path and roads and show us what interests you. Take your time, have fun. It hasn’t got anything to do with what you have or haven’t been doing, it has everything to do just being outside and living.

saab2000
Yes, cycling is huge in my life. Unfortunatelya, I too have been off the bike WAY WAY WAY too much in the past few months. Work and weather and my living situation have caused this.

I am riding now less on average than at any time since I was 15 and it is no fun at all. I keep making lifestyle changes with the hope that I will be able to increase my riding. None of those changes has yet had that effect.

I would normally ride 5 or 6 days per week. But for the past 3 years (since I moved back to the US) I have averaged maybe 2 rides per week.

To those who don't value it, you only miss it when it is gone.

Bartape1
03-07-2007, 10:07 AM
As an ex three-sport athlete who got really lazy after college and struggled to get back on track, I can say that cycling has been a terrific sport for me. Of all the sports I've played and participated in, I can't think of another that has so many benefits both physically and mentally.

It doesn't get any better than lactic acid and 175 bpm on a Saturday morning!

Cheers
:beer:

RPS
03-07-2007, 10:08 AM
To those who don't value it, you only miss it when it is gone.Great point -- I've been there.

"When the well is dry, we know the worth of water."- I think Abraham Lincoln

Len J
03-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Take a deap breath & follow the following simple sequence:

1.) Give yourself a break....remind yourself that it is OK to be human (& not perfect)

2.) Remember how it felt to be in shape & riding with people you enjoy.

3.) Commit that on the next reasonably nice day you will go out a ride for an hour or so not worrying about anything but enjoying the ride.

4.) repeat the first 3 steps until you are back in shape.

Hardest thing to do is get back on the bike when you've gotten out of shape, but that first ride can be a wonderful reminder if your expectations are properly calibrated (especially for us old guys).

Riding is a gift, not a chore.......treat it as such.

Looking forward to riding with you at the open house.

If you need a riding partner on a weekend for motivation, drop me a PM.

Len

catulle
03-07-2007, 10:15 AM
The second law of thermodynamics is MP. You must stand up, look it in the eye, and throw it a fart. Start by walking in your heart rate zone. Then go back to the cycle for leisurely rides. You must. You better. Hey, there're very few of the good guys left; so you got to move on. Borrow Obtuse's dog to chase you; you'll run or he'll take you back to the junk yard. Hmmm, maybe Scarlett can help out. She'll get you going, atmo. Sometimes I lend her out to the ER. She's better than the defibrillator, atmo...

Sandy
03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the excellent responses.

It is seemingly more difficult to climb steps than just a few days ago. Much more effort is needed. Both knees hurt a little, especially the left one. My knees seldom bothered me when I was cycling. Can this deterioration simply be a function of inactivity??

Sandy

Climb01742
03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Can this deterioration simply be a function of inactivity??

possibly a combination of inactivity and carrying more weight. studies have shown that activity keeps muscles and joints more mobile.

new name: small steps sandy! :)

BarryG
03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Can this deterioration simply be a function of inactivity??Yes, especially when age is factored in.

Sandy
03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
possibly a combination of inactivity and carrying more weight. studies have shown that activity keeps muscles and joints more mobile.

new name: small steps sandy! :)

Better name, at least for now- Slowly Sliding Snail

Supersonic Speedy Sandy

Sandy
03-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes, especially when age is factored in.

Age, lack of activity, and weight increase is a bad combination.

Sandy

AgilisMerlin
03-07-2007, 04:14 PM
i read this in the morning. just caught up on the subject.

Couple of minutes ago, i went over to agilismerlin and asked her what she would do if i did not ride her for three months...................i wound up with, what i think are a couple of bruised ribs, a sore arse cheek, and a ring of grease across my bruised forehead.....

i quess i got the answer :no: no ?

amerliN

Bud_E
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I have old sore knees - diagnosed with tendonitis by the Ortho - from years of abuse like playing outdoor basketball for hours on end. I used to love running but that's out because of my knees. I look like Walter Brennan from the Real McCoys when I go up stairs even though I'm in my mid-fifties.

Cycling is one of the few activities I can do (maybe swimming laps ,and ??? ) and oddly enough even when I'm climbing steep canyon roads, my knees feel fine. In fact regular cycling does seem to make my knees work better in other activities. The only time I get in trouble is when I push a hard gear without being sufficiently warmed up or I go at it a little too hard on the mag trainer.

I also go through months-long periods where I fall out of cycling regularly for whatever reason and that's when I really feel my age. But I always come back to it and I'm always glad I did - it makes a huge difference in my physical and emotional wellbeing.

So to me, personally, cycling is a pretty gosh darned big deal. ( And besides - swimming laps is friggin' boring ).

I hope this helps a little and that you find you are able to get back into it before long.

Big Dan
03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Sandy, start your comeback slow.
Short rides 15-20 minutes or a ride to the mailbox to drop some mail.
Set a goal for the end of summer, something like a century by Oct.
Good luck.
:)

Ginger
03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Sandy my friend.

I recently got back on the bike after not riding since my back issue started in August. The first rides suck because it hurts. The next couple rides suck because you remember what you could do and you SEEMINGLY can't anymore...that's frustrating and depressing. Then there's riding with buddies who are so much faster than you are...that's a bit frustrating too...

But sooner or later a glimmer of how it used to feel comes back. And even if I can only get to the glimmer? I'll take it because it's far better than not being on the bike at all.

And yeah...my knees hurt when I don't ride too. (And while I'm old...I ain't THAT old!)

C'mon back Sandy! I know getting back on the bike is hard but I know you can do it!

Mary Ann

markie
03-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey Sandy,

Thanks for sharing. When I read your title I thought your post was going to go in the opposite direction.

I miss riding the roads in MD. I just moved from DC to the midwest. If you think it is cold there, you have no idea.

You do not mention what your persistent problem is, but I hope it is not as bad as this:

http://www.sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html

Perhaps getting on a tricycle or a static trainer would be better than nothing.

Chief
03-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey Sandy,

Thanks for sharing. When I read your title I thought your post was going to go in the opposite direction.

I miss riding the roads in MD. I just moved from DC to the midwest. If you think it is cold there, you have no idea.

You do not mention what your persistent problem is, but I hope it is not as bad as this:

http://www.sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html

Perhaps getting on a tricycle or a static trainer would be better than nothing.

But for the grace of God... Moral: Make the best of what you got because some day you may not have it.

djg
03-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the excellent responses.

It is seemingly more difficult to climb steps than just a few days ago. Much more effort is needed. Both knees hurt a little, especially the left one. My knees seldom bothered me when I was cycling. Can this deterioration simply be a function of inactivity??

Sandy

Sandy, unless you've injured yourself in the interim, it doesn't seem likely that your joints have deteriorated significantly in the space of a few days. On the other hand, all sorts of things can make a difference in how you feel, from stuff about you (sleep, nutrition) to stuff about the environment (cold, etc.).

From months ago, it may well be that you've lost, for example, aerobic fitness and/or strength in the tissue supporting your knees, and it may well be that weight gain has exacerbated any issues you may have had--perhaps quite a bit.

Put it all together and you might feel just a bunch worse climbing stairs between, say, Sunday and Wednesday. At the same time, serious unexplained shortness of breath ought to merit a trip to the doc's.

I think there are lots of folks here who would like to see you back on a bike and, independent of cycling, fit and happy. I'll stick with my "baby steps" advice--get started a little and see how it goes. Forget about keeping up with friends--friends will be glad to do some easy rides with you as you get started so that keeping up won't be an issue. If you'd rather start alone, start alone--try a few blocks when it's nicer out and then try a few more.

AgilisMerlin
03-07-2007, 06:51 PM
eventual light at end of every tunnel: :D

http://www.wiss-cycles.com/photos/blog/12.jpg

amerliN

Ginger
03-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Well...I was going to mention...that your knees probably hurt when you were riding too...you just didn't notice it or it didn't have much importance in the grand scheme of things. Because when you're off the bike, and not doing what you want, every little pain is magnified.

For example. Here I am, almost 9pm and I'm still at work, writing away...

and my hip hurts because my brain is looking for something to keep busy with...(writing is on automatic...) I mean...I don't doubt my hip hurts...but it hurts more because I don't want to be here.

That probably makes no sense, but that's what I've found over the years.

Good luck Sandy!
Mary Ann

Ti Designs
03-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Sandy,

I've never taken time away from the bike, mostly out of fear. Cycling to me is the freedom from a world that would otherwise drive me nuts. My cycling changes modes with the seasons, in the winter I'm working on all the individual parts, in the spring I'm struggling to put it all together, in the summer I hit my stride and the fall I get to settle back and enjoy the miles. I don't give it a rest because I'll always remember what it's like to be fit, to be able to ride where I want and not worry about the distance or the hills - I never want to give that up.

That said, I have had down times. My broken foot and the depression from my wife leaving me saw my bike go untouched for months. Getting back into the game was as much a mental challenge as it was physical. First, there would always be the memory of how fast I was before and how slow I am when I get back on the bike. My solution was my recovery loop - North road. It's not a very long loop, but I will never allow myself to ride fast on that road. Even when I'm fit I simply tootle along and check out the houses. I enjoy it when I'm fit, I find I can still enjoy it when I'm not - the fitness comparison is gone. The second part of my recovery is always to have faith in what I teach my riders. It's the basics of cycling that people overlook. You can't walk before you crawl, you can't run before you walk - same thing with cycling. If I can teach new riders how to race in one winter I'm pretty sure I can get myself back up to speed that quickly.

chuckroast
03-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Hmmmm, lots of smart people giving good advice for you (and me). Here's a view from a fat 50 year old.

Don't ride because you feel like you must out of some sense of obligation or duty. Ride because it's fun and because you can. Enjoy the wind in your face, enjoy the quiet, enjoy the scenery, enjoy the sweat in your eyes, enjoy the ritual of pumping up your tires, enjoy the relief when you clear a hill.

Remember why you started riding in the first place.

shinomaster
03-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Sandy I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to ride in three feet of snow. Who would? When I lived in Bostin I almost never rode from December to March...unless there was a nice thaw...and I always felt like crap after hibernating for the winter..I still do..I feel better when I'm riding than when I'm not. Don't be so hard on yourself!!! It's normal...When you are fit your legs are stronger and you can climb stairs more easily.
Has anyone here been to the Porter Square T stop? You know all those stairs? I would sprint all the way up all the way to the top...MP...when I was fit it was easy...when not my arms would go numb and my head would get dizzy...What a job. Life is hard atmo.

cadence90
03-08-2007, 12:35 AM
[snip]
So is cycling really such a big deal? To me the resounding answer is yes, and hopefully I will get back to it soon. Stay on your bikes folks, as cycling really is a big deal. Decidedly so.

Sandy
I am recovering from some pretty significant health issues, and for the first time in several months I snuck a couple of rides in against doctor's orders this past weekend. Short, pretty slow rides. Not much more exertion than my daily walks, etc.

But, 1) letting my body tell me what was OK and trusting it felt good and 2) pedalling, breathing in that rhythm, listening to the spokes, leaning into curves, felt really good too.

I hope you are back on the bike soon, Sandy.
It is definitely a joy, to be able to ride. :)

JF636
03-08-2007, 01:59 AM
This is common among most people. The great thing about cycling is there are so many differnt types of people, riders, bikes, etc, etc. You can have the weight weenie, the old school ludite, and every obsession in between. Point is there are so many ways to enjoy a bike. Like others have said, it needs to be fun and enjoyable.

I must admit, I'm feeling guilty about riding my fixed gear bike more than my main road bike lately. As much as I enjoy the fixed, I feel I "have" to ride the more finacially invested road bike. These little pressure we put ourselves through make it worse when we think we "have" to do, rather than we "want" to do.

Ride a fixed gear for a while, it purges all the hype and complications of the modern cycling lifestyle while you get back in shape.

soulspinner
03-08-2007, 05:01 AM
When my brother passed in 1989 at the age of 26 (greatest cylcist I ever rode with) I thought Id never ride again, it was too painful. My 5-10 frame shot up to 195 pounds, My tryglycerides were 585 and cholesterol was 265. Did I mention I was clinically depressed?( Little bro was my best pal and he introduced me to cycling as he commuted 17 miles per day.) My doctor said I was headed for heart disease and diabetes. I was given a Masterlight Colnago with Campy on it and I began to ride again. My first ride was liteally around the block. Thought I would die, but it was cathartic for the soul.

When you do get back on the bike, start very slowly or else you will focus on what you cant do. Bring a camera, leave the bike computer home, notice every smile and wave, feed some ducks. Pat yourself on the back for every positive thing you do for yourself, we as humans are always quick to be down on ouselves when things go poorly, but rarely take the time to give ourselves kudos when we earn them. You can do it. Keep your chin up- its the only way to see the horizon.

andy mac
03-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Heya sandy,

I really haven’t been able to ride or run much in the last 3 years due to a back/leg injury I haven’t been able to sort out yet. It’s cost me over 30k and is stupidly frustrating as I’m only in my 30’s and sport is/was such a big part of my life. During my late teens and early 20’s I was semi-pro athlete (that means basically full-time but sucked too much to make any real $$) and I have always used multiple sports for social interactions, travel, to deal with stress and to balance out sitting on my arse at work all week and some weekends.

The injury surfaced when I was putting in quite a few miles training for the L’etape in France. For at least a year it depressed me to see anyone riding, even the old ladies commuting in Amsterdam.

To keep myself sane I have been surfing, swimming and doing yoga but it’s not the same and I’ve put on 5 pounds and like drinking too much.

I know you know this but exercise is so wonderful if you are depressed. And not exercising is a bit of a vicious cycle with putting on weight which makes you not want to exercise then you put on more weight then get more depressed and don’t exercise… yada, yada, yada. And, before you know it hello Diego Maradona.

My injury is getting better but I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to ride or run again. It’s a real bummer because when I injured myself I’d just ordered a brand new Serotta. It stands against my wall with only a few hundreds miles on it as an incentive to get better, if only anyone knew how. (So do my four other bikes but I digress…)

So how about this – I’d love it if you had a ride for me and all the people who wished they could but can't.*

:beer:

andy

*weather and dogs permitting.

Elefantino
03-08-2007, 06:26 AM
Sandy:

Thanks for sharing. You started a great thread. Hope you can make baby steps soon. Remember, God does not deduct from your time on Earth time spent on a bike.

At least that's what it says on a t-shirt I got in Moab.

Mike

Ti Designs
03-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Ride a fixed gear for a while, it purges all the hype and complications of the modern cycling lifestyle while you get back in shape.

I've not read a line on this forum I agree with more. I have a very nice road bike, I ride it in the spring and summer. Sometimes I get all caught up which components or which wheels I'm using - the sort of stuff you read on this forum all the time. Chainrings, wheels, gears, handlebars... The fixed gear eliminates all that. It's not about the gear or which wheels, which hubs, how much it weighs - it's about the rider. I've been on my fixed gear since September, at this point I don't even remember what gear I'm running. When people ask me I say "this one" and point down. My training log reflects the simplicity of fixed gear riding. With the road bike I write about gearing and wind directions and hard efforts, sometimes I even put in comments about some part of the bike that needs work. With the fixed gear it's mostly time and tempo - sometimes a comment about the amount of ice I rode over... The winter beater fixed gear is the closest thing to just a rider and the road with nothing else to think about.