PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Orthotics

M_A_Martin
05-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Hello all.
Just back from an orthopod appt. Evidently the ankle surgery and the knee surgery have changed my required orthotic shape. The doc has written a script for both regular and cycling orthotics.

My question: Where's the best place to get cycling specific orthotics? (Actual location of the place is immaterial, I travel occasionally...)

Thanks!

Ginger

Tom
05-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Mine did a nice job.

M_A_Martin
05-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Hey, I'll be out your way for the open house. Hmmm

I've only found one ankle guy who rides, and he moved out of Michigan...so i'm left without.

Dekonick
05-27-2004, 05:56 PM
I have the same problem. Cant seem to find a pod. anywhere in MD who bikes. So far have called around and asked multiple doc's and no luck.

I think I read somewhere about Lance using a MD in Boulder Colo. and liking his orthotics - and he does mail order from what I hear (sends you a pkg to step on and mail back?) but I cant find his name anywhere!

eddief
05-27-2004, 06:46 PM
http://www.wellfeet.com/

He has about 5 bikes hanging in his office. He must be good.

Bruce K
05-27-2004, 07:11 PM
M-A

If you get over this way Foot Fitness in Middletown (almost Newport), RI. This is Bill Peterson of Perterson Orthotic fame and he does a great job.

He has done orthotics for Navigators and Saturn Teams and riders such as Bobby Julich, Tim Johnson, and Lyn Bissette.

Not cheap, but I like mine a lot. One of the things I like is that he takes into consideration the brand and model of shoe that you will be wearing when cycling.

You can look at mine at Open House.

BK

Tom
05-28-2004, 06:42 AM
Excellent doc. I broke the middle toe on the left sled the Wednesday before a Sunday marathon. I go the office and say "I think I broke my toe and I want to run a marathon Sunday." He takes Xrays, goes out and looks at them, comes back and beams "Right to both!" It was just a chip fracture so he showed me how to tape it up and then solemnly says "It might be a little uncomfortable." I had to laugh.

Added comment: Baldauf's tough to get an appointment with. He's generally very busy and it's a long lead time.

BarryG
05-28-2004, 07:36 AM
M-A, if you're going to be in the Albany area, you might want to give Garrick Dardini a call at Steiner's Sports (www.steinerssports.com 518-427-2406). He specializes in custom cycling orthotics and bike fitting.

Barry