PDA

View Full Version : Shimano SH RC9 Insoles

oaklandhillsca
04-19-2021, 11:08 AM
I have the Shimano SH RC 9 road shoes and after an 5 1/2 hour ride this weekend, my feet started to get hot spots on the outer edges during the final stages of the ride. I normally have no problems with 3 hr hour rides. Now I am considering alternate insoles to the standard ones in the shoe.

Any suggestions? Anyone use/try the Shimano heat-moldable insole?

Thanks

LJohnny
04-19-2021, 12:56 PM
I have successfully used superfeet carbon and the Specialized BG, but it depends on each person’s fit. Having said that, it may be worth adjusting the cleats? Any changes that led to the current issue?

sfo1
04-19-2021, 01:35 PM
My feet do as well (on occasion, I think heat has something to do w/it and its isolated to one foot) and I have orthotics in RC-9's.

if its the callus below pinky toe you may have the beginning of a corn, which may be more 'uncomfortable.'

I have the Shimano SH RC 9 road shoes and after an 5 1/2 hour ride this weekend, my feet started to get hot spots on the outer edges during the final stages of the ride. I normally have no problems with 3 hr hour rides. Now I am considering alternate insoles to the standard ones in the shoe.

Any suggestions? Anyone use/try the Shimano heat-moldable insole?

Thanks

batman1425
04-19-2021, 01:58 PM
If on the outside of your foot, this can often be fixed with either a cleat adjustment, a varus shim, or combination of both.

First I'd try shifting your cleat inboard a few mm, effectively moving your foot outward. See if there is any improvement. If not, next step would be a set of specialized BG insoles and the in shoe varus shims to match.

Almost everyone needs some varus (or to a lesser extent valgus) correction and most shoes are set neutral. Some accomodate the mismatch better than others. I needed good mid-arch support and 2 varus shims to eliminate the outer foot hotspots my R320s used to give me. All good now though!