PDA

View Full Version : Translating barrel adjuster turns to derrailleur lateral movement?

BdaGhisallo
03-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know a way to roughly translate between turns on a DA 10 RD barrel adjuster to lateral movement of the derr cage? I have some dt and shimano hubs that have the cassette located differently, always necessitating an adjustment of cable tension when changing between them. It would soothe my anal mind if there was a quick way to know exactly how many turns of the barrel adjuster I should employ to properly compensate for the different hubs.

Any ideas?

dave thompson
03-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Might an easier, and better, way be to sight the dérailleur position (when correct) from the rear and then use the adjuster to achieve the same position when changing the wheel.

Too Tall
03-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Dave is on the right track...now this is a tough thing for a dsylexic to get out...but here goes:

You need to adjust your rear mech for the wheelset where the innermost cog (11/12) is furthest away from the chainstay. Next put in your other wheel and see how far off it is and use nominal spacers BEHIND the cassette to adjust the inner cog spacing so that they are the same same....kapish?

This alleviates having to make any adjustment(s) to the r.mech or cable tension.

BdaGhisallo
03-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Dave is definitely on the right track. Manually I should be able to determine it to 95% of perfect. TT, you have an even better idea, and one that I was wondering about, trying to recall how much room there would be in there to add on another spacer and still leave the lockring enough threads to bite into.

I will check it out when I next play with the bike.

Thanks for indulging me.

Geoff