PDA

View Full Version : OT Do I dare? ebay Canon SD700

keno
03-06-2007, 07:29 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Canon-SD700-IS-Digital-Elph-Camera-6-MP-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ320089664055QQihZ011QQcategoryZ10789 6QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

By the time you tell me, some other fool will probably have stepped up.

keno

Ginger
03-06-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm shy of electronics on ebay, but others have success. Beach Camera has that version for 307.

If you do get that camera pick up a SanDisk Extreme 1G card to go with it. I have both Extreme and regular and the Extreme is faster storage. (I hear the panasonics? are faster...but if you're going for a bit less cash, the SanDisk has done a good job)

pjm
03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Keno, if you're interested, I have one of these I'd like to sell...
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A640/A640A.HTM
I've only taken a few shots with, but decided to go with an SLR instead.
Its not as small as the SD700 but a nicer camera IMHO.
I'll throw in a very nice case that fits it perfectly and a 1G SD card.
Cheap. PM me if you're interested.

keno
03-06-2007, 08:19 AM
the problem is that the price, with zero shipping, is very low.

On the other hand, the seller has no transactions as a seller, but has 10 or so other items listed for sale, including, cameras, and multiple items. The seller has been around only a short time on ebay. Whether his items fell off a truck, who knows. I've never used bid pay, but having read their terms if it turns out to be a bad transaction I won't be able to contest the MC charge it appears.

BTW, I have an earlier Elph and all kinds of large capacity SD cards, but thanks anyhow. Incidentally, Beach is in NJ which means 7% sales tax, probably shipping of $15, bringing it to nearly $100 over the ebay deal.

I think that I'll pass on both and continue to use the SD110.

jmc22
03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
I just bought one on Amazon.com for $295.00 with free shipping, I am a big E-bay person when it comes to some things, with cameras and other electronics it is better to pay a few $$ more to be safe in knowing what you are getting...I really wanted the SD700 even over some of the new models, it has the image stabilization and a better optical zoom (4x)..even though the SD800 has a 3.8 optical zoom it is only equale to about a 105mm whereas the SD700 is 140mm

keno
03-06-2007, 05:30 PM
and I didn't step up.

I noticed in the Completed Transactions of the SD700 IS that he had made about 10 prior sales of the same "item", same ad, same free ship, Buy It Now for $255. I sample checked about half of his feedbacks, and in each he was always a buyer and the items he bought were always cheap, like a few bucks. I also sent him a question as to whether item was refurbished and asked for its serial number. I'll hear from him as in the title of the Eagles get back togther album.

My Ocam's Razor conclusion is that he invested about $50 in 15 positive feedbacks and is now scamming non-existent goods.

keno

billrick
03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
and I didn't step up.

Good call, Keno. Looks like Ebay has suspended their account. If you look again, they are now listed as "Not a Registered User."

Everything I've read says the SD700 is a great camera with a sharp lens and accurate colors. I was looking at the newer SD800, with the 28mm lens, but it has serious distortion in the corners at full wide. I went with another brand.

:)