PDA

View Full Version : what's up in nyc?

yeehawfactor
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
have a few friends traveling to nyc next week for a week or so. they will be staying near central park and need some group rides. what are some good rides i can point them to? they are fwiw cat 3s and wouldn't mind something really fast as well as maybe something longer and more moderate. any help is appreciated! :cool:

amg
03-06-2007, 06:49 AM
yeehaw,

Central Park closes to automobile traffic at 7pm everynight and the park is well lit, so there's some good riding in the evenings. Also, the park closes to auto traffic at various times in the morning during the week, check NYC.gov websites for more info.

Also on Saturdays there are a lot of group rides from Central Park to Nyack via route 9W. I'm sure if your friends do a ride in Central Park they'll meet up with a lot of people who do the Saturday group ride to Nyack.

Antonio

johnmdesigner
03-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Check out this website:
nyvelocity.com

EDS
03-06-2007, 10:05 AM
May want to check out nycc.org.

A.L.Breguet
03-06-2007, 11:47 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/23/nyregion/23beaver.html?ex=1329886800&en=88

CalfeeFly
03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
yeehaw,

Central Park closes to automobile traffic at 7pm everynight and the park is well lit, so there's some good riding in the evenings. Also, the park closes to auto traffic at various times in the morning during the week, check NYC.gov websites for more info.

Also on Saturdays there are a lot of group rides from Central Park to Nyack via route 9W. I'm sure if your friends do a ride in Central Park they'll meet up with a lot of people who do the Saturday group ride to Nyack.

Antonio

Make sure you do the Nyack ride it is great. There are some small towns you can ride down to and enjoy them as well. Somebody either on this forum or the Calfee forum ran into Lance on that ride. The last time I did it I ran into some riders for Colorado Cyclist. You can find it on your own easily enough. You go up along the River which is a nice ride to the GW Bridge and follow the Bicycle Route sign across the sidewalk. The park right below the bridge on the NJ side is supposed to be nice to ride in but I did not have the chance to ride there.

Good luck and enjoy!

manet
03-06-2007, 03:59 PM
chocolatine(s) buys information

EDS
03-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Make sure you do the Nyack ride it is great. There are some small towns you can ride down to and enjoy them as well. Somebody either on this forum or the Calfee forum ran into Lance on that ride. The last time I did it I ran into some riders for Colorado Cyclist. You can find it on your own easily enough. You go up along the River which is a nice ride to the GW Bridge and follow the Bicycle Route sign across the sidewalk. The park right below the bridge on the NJ side is supposed to be nice to ride in but I did not have the chance to ride there.

Good luck and enjoy!

Not so much a park below the GW bridge as a road, River Road to be exact. 7 miles of virtual car free, traffic light free, country-like riding all within 7 miles of mid-town Manhattan. Nice climb at the end too if you detour down to the boat basin. You can follow other riders to get there.

skyflash
03-06-2007, 04:33 PM
On the way to Nyack on 9W, I would definitely recommend the Palisades Park ride under the bridge in NJ. It's about 8 miles with a couple hills, but very little traffic especially compared to 9W. I believe in the winter months, the southern half of the road is closed to motorists.

Once you come across the brige, make a left on the road and the entrance is about a 1/2 mile down on the left. You actually need to detour briefly before getting to the park because part of the road is one-way, but it's easy to figure out.

At the end, you come up to 9W, and make a right to continue north to Nyack.

Climb01742
03-06-2007, 05:04 PM
if your friends want to ride in central park on the weekends, i'd suggest riding early. the loop inside the park can get crazy with with people during the day. the lower park is flat. the north end of the loop isn't flat. but it's a nice 6-mile circuit.

obtuse
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
New York's alright if you like saxophones

New York's alright if you wanna get pushed in front of the subway
New York's alright if you like tebirculosis
New York's alright if you like art and jazz
New York's alright if you're a homosexual

New york's alright, New York's alright

New York's alright if you like drunks in your doorway
New York's alright if you wanna freeze to death
New York's alright if you wanna get mugged or murdered

New York's alright, New York's alright

yeehawfactor
03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
new york, new york, the big apple
http://static.last.fm/proposedimages/original/6/9/79738.jpg

thanks for the info

A.L.Breguet
03-06-2007, 06:24 PM

New York's alright if you wanna get pushed in front of the subway
New York's alright if you like tebirculosis
New York's alright if you like art and jazz
New York's alright if you're a homosexual

New york's alright, New York's alright

New York's alright if you like drunks in your doorway
New York's alright if you wanna freeze to death
New York's alright if you wanna get mugged or murdered

New York's alright, New York's alright
Ah, Lee Ving, Spit Stix, Derf Scratch and Philo Cramer. Those were the days.
I love living in the city.