PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy Wheels, a PURFECT compliment to a Serotta CDA

Smiley
03-05-2007, 06:26 PM
I was going to wait and post a review of the wheels Jeremy specially built for my wife's CDA along with photo's of the complete finished bike BUT when I opened the box today that brought these wheels and I just mounted the tubes and tires in preparation for the FINAL CDA build I said nope these are really nice and I must share their build with you all. So here is what Jeremy sent me on the wheel build :

Hi Smiley and Karen,

Here are some pics of the new wheels:

The rim is a Kinlin Nbr-19. This is the same extrusion as the IRD Cadence, but I had these drilled for internal nipples. The rear hub is a Tune Mag160, the front hub is an AmClassic Micro-58. The spokes are Sapim CX-Ray with alloy internal nipples.

The Tune Mag160-Campy comes stock from Tune with a 131mm axle, whereas the Shimano/Sram compatible version comes stock with a 130mm axle. I started with the Campy version becasue I wanted to use the slightly longer axle. I converted the Campy hub to Shimano and optimized the wheel-building dimensions to achieve a stronger wheel. The stock Mag160X130 Shimano compatible hub has a center to center right dimension of 17.8mm and a center to center left dimension of 38.8mm. I machined the silver cassette spacer and the drive-side endcap to effectively move the drive side flange further right (away from the effective center of the hub). Of course, I maintained the necessary spacing for proper clearance for the gears and the derailleur. The "optimized" hub has a center to center right of 19.8mm and a center to center left dimension of 36.8mm.

For your wheel (28 X2, ERD = 601) this yields a drive side bracing angle of 4 degrees and a non-drive side bracing angle of 7.3 degrees. The relative L/R tension is 55%. These numbers are significantly better than any stock Shimano road hub available. The standard Dura-Ace 7800 dimensions yield 3.8 degrees, 6.9 degrees and 54% respectively. The stock Shimano spacing is better than any other stock Shimano compatible hub that I have found. This "optimized" Mag160 is better still.

I also machined the endcaps of the Micro-58 to make them concentric to the axle. Unfortunately, the endcaps on the stock Micro-58 are not concentric to the axle. In addition, I machined the axle length from 83.9mm to 83.65mm. This makes all of the bearing stops line up properly inside the hub.

The front wheel weighs 575g, the rear wheel weighs 708g. I am sure that Karen will love her new wheels. As always, I really aprreciate your support.

Cheers,

Jeremy

PS I didn't get a chance to ship them yesterday, so they will go out on Monday.

Alchemy Bicycle Works
Jeremy & Sarah Parfitt
jparamax@yahoo.com
720 Rosita Street
Santa Fe NM 87505
505.984.0758 Fax

In the end I feel so lucky to know Jeremy since we truly forget how special good wheels make up for the ride of our bikes. These wheels are really amazing to see and touch and they have craftsmanship written all over them. This will be our Third wheelset from Jeremy and I have a standing order for a Fourth one that promises to be even nicer then anything that I have seen todate. Anyway please don't see this as a shameless ad for Jeremy as he like Ergott are special people that make our bikes come ALIVE when we ride them with the love of craftsmenship of a good wheel builder.
ps: Photo's to follow of the entire bike very soon as its Karen's birthday this weekend and this whole rig is my present to her :)

dirtdigger88
03-09-2007, 08:26 AM
I love this email- I have one much like it myself-

I cant wait to try out my set of the man- we ARE getting closer though

every wheelset Ive seen of Jeremy's are fantastic-

I sent him a few special parts to rub him magic dust over-

jason

djg
03-09-2007, 09:58 AM
But...the rims have these weird cliff-like extrusions on either side so there's no good way to glue a veloflex criterium in there.