PDA

View Full Version : $500 bicycle

CNY rider
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
I need some advice from forumites on a lower priced bicycle for a friend of a friend.
The bike is for a woman 5'2" who currently rides a mountain bike. She has plans to do a century later this summer, as part of a ride that has personal meaning for her.

She'd like to move up to a road bike, and is looking to spend around $500. My first question was whether she was open to buying something used, and that was answered affirmatively. I do think that going used is her best chance of getting a quality bike at that price point.

My question is whether there are other bikes out there we should consider, if something used does not turn up. We don't have access to an LBS to go ogle bikes, so I'm not familiar with what's out there. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

(And of course if any of you have a bike that would fit said woman at roughly said price, well then that would be even more appreciated!)

gt6267a
03-05-2007, 03:28 PM
do you know her size, roughly? as these days the virtual marketplaces are the way to go, it's hard to buy a bike unseen without getting in the sizing game somehow.

ideas:
1) find someone to fit her and then use those numbers to purchase off ebay.
2) find someone to loan a bike for a few rides. this allows a person to get an idea of what one might liike in a purchase not just in terms of size but other qualities of a bicycle ...
3) i find a lot of early 90's steel bikes from highend manufacturers with top end groups go for < $1000 on the bay and boards. $800 seems to be the number. know your size, be patient, and you will be amazed at what is out there.

Kevan
03-05-2007, 03:28 PM
"WTB:" in the classified section here, where it might be better spotted.

Good luck!

CNY rider
03-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Done and thank you.

cmg
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
visit RBR classifieds. http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=1081&cat=3 A bit more than your budget but worth it. as of yesterday it was still available and i think it would fit. seller is flexible on the price.

CNY rider
03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
What about those working in the retail bike world? Is there anything out there in the $500 range that's decent quality and worth looking at?

manet
03-05-2007, 07:29 PM
has she considered retro-fitting existing mountain bike for the road?

tachyon
03-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Don't forget Craig's List. www.craigslist.org

You can find good deals there all the time, you just have to know what you're looking for and ask the seller the right questions.

Tom

jemoryl
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Don't forget Craig's List. www.craigslist.org

You can find good deals there all the time, you just have to know what you're looking for and ask the seller the right questions.

Tom

I think it depends greatly on the area under consideration. Around here (NYC area) everyone seems to think their old crap is actually worth a lot and this is reflected in the Craig's List prices. But I've seen some good deals in other regions.

To the OP: I have a friend who wants to dabble in road riding but only has around $700 to spend. Right now, Nashbar has an Iron Horse bike kitted out with full Shimano 105 10 spd and Shimano wheels for $799. Since there are 10% discount coupons floating around, this seems like a pretty good deal in my book. The frame is probably one of those standard Taiwan deals with CF forks and seat stays. There is a Tiagra version for $100 less. My pal is balking because he doesn't want a bike named Iron Horse.....

Otherwise, we could have nabbed various use Cannondales, Lemonds, etc. with 105 level stuff off of eBay for a similar price, had be been more agressive.

BarryG
03-06-2007, 07:01 AM
If she's working toward a century, she'll be putting in some miles and the fit issue should be paramount for her first road bike. Hopefully she doesn't get off on the wrong foot with a misfitting used bike. I would put my energy into convincing her to go new, pay a few hundred more (entry level bikes from major mfr's $650-$800) and make some road trips to get a good fitting at a good shop. Heck, make the 90 minute drive to Albany if you have to and visit a couple of shops here.

deechee
03-06-2007, 09:43 AM
what about a Giant ocr3? msrp is 650, I'm sure you can haggle it down or find one on sale.

I don't know anyone who's ordered from this site but I see it pop up occasionally on other forums. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

BURCH
03-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I posed this question for my sister-in-law last year at this time. She was getting into cycling and using a really old bike. She was also signed up for a big ride and the family wanted to kick in less than $500 for a bike. Someone from here recommended Ibex and we went with it. It worked out great for her. She loves the bike. For the price, I think you get a good deal. Could work out unless your friend is a name dropper.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/06-CLS-4400-Details.html