PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Turtles Crossing!

Tom
05-27-2004, 09:12 AM
I saw some big snapping turtles laying eggs down by the river this morning. Around the other side by Vischer Ferry there were these short signs, yellow diamonds with pictures of turtles and the legend above. It was good for a chuckle.

Then there was the genius in the silver "Maxima" that couldn't stay inside the white lines at about 15mph on Rte. 146 heading toward the Aqueduct Bridge. Perhaps I should cut him some slack as I was passing on the shoulder at about 30 but still, you assume they can hold their line. I'm proud of myself for not cursing, I did loudly admonish him to try and keep it on the road.

The yin and yang of today.

EnduroFit
05-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi Tom,

That's my neck of the woods. Or, at least my parents-I used to live there. Take a right at the Stewart's Shop and go over towards Waterford. Thanks, at least now I know what to look out for when I ride up their later this summer.

Brent

EnduroFit
05-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Woops,

I'm way off the mark! I was thinking of Route 9...As you can see I haven't been there in a while.

Brent

BumbleBeeDave
05-27-2004, 10:36 AM
. . . on where you are, the turtles can be quite large. On the bike path on the other side of the river I have seen them out doing their thing, but shells have been no more than a foot across. But across at Vischer Ferry (where Tom was riding) you can go out there walking in the spring and see much, MUCH larger turtles out mating in the middle of the ponds. I have never seen any of them out of the water, but I imagine from watching them the shell could be two or more feet across and the whole turtle up to four feet long--keep in mind that with snappers the feet and head are so large that they cannot be withdrawn into the shell, and there is also a tail.

If you want to stop and watch one, be careful! Don't get too close--they can move deceptively fast (kinda like Sandy on his Ottrott) and have incredibly strong jaws. I have seen some real idiots on the bike path with their dogs, letting the animals sniff around these turtles, and they have no idea of the possible consquences.

BBdave