PDA

View Full Version : 'Ghost Bikes' Are Grim Reminders

BumpyintheBurgh
05-27-2004, 08:57 AM
"They appeared late Monday around Allegheny County, 14 bicycles painted a ghostly white and chained to poles with a cryptic sign: "Cyclist Struck Here."

"The roadside memorials are the work of Ghost Bike Pittsburgh, a ..........

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article, Thursday, May 27 by Jonathan D. Silver.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04148/322514.stm

Reminder of how dangerous it can be out there!

Dekonick
05-27-2004, 01:14 PM
perhaps this could become a national movement. I, for one, like the idea.

anyone else have thoughts?

BumbleBeeDave
05-27-2004, 01:20 PM
We could raid dbrk's basement and use all his bikes. Great fun--and then we could add it to the "practical jokes" thread!

Seriously, though, it is a good idea, but I doubt it would catch on.

BBDave

Keith A
05-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Edit: wrong message thread

Dekonick
05-29-2004, 04:11 PM
OK - BBD - go get D's bikes... I already have the paint!

Last time I was at my county landfill, I saw a pile of bikes rusting in a corner (supposed to be repaired and given away, but I doubt these would be desired even in Vietnam...) - wonder who I can talk to and gather some...

It could be an interesting idea to bring up to your local groups... thinking ill send an email to the Balt. Bicycle Club.

:bike:

ghost bikes
06-14-2004, 06:51 PM
hey guys we are trying to keep track of the cities that are doing this with us
so if anyone wants drop me a line and ill give some advice, but if not just let us know your doing it with us and will add your cities to our web map

BumbleBeeDave
06-14-2004, 08:51 PM
I don’t know of any cities around here where this is happening . . . but I would be curious about what kind of reaction there has been in Pittsburgh. Have the local “authorities” carted the bikes away? Anyone vandalize any of them? Media attention, pro or con?

BBDave

Bruce H.
06-15-2004, 07:12 AM
I lived in Pittsburgh in the 70's attending grad and dental school. I can't even remember seeing any bicycles at that time. Now they have some big races and active cycling clubs.
I hope this movement brings more awareness to the problems we face on the road, especially vs. the big pickups!
Problem where I now live is the rural nature of the area, Most vehicles go too fast to even "see" the ghost bikes if placed here.
Bruce H.

ghost bikes
06-15-2004, 02:06 PM
the project has pros and cons but is getting people to talk about the problems we are having.

http://content.sina.com/news/52/91/6529198_1_gb.html

the bbc covered it last night and abc national is going to cover it later this week.

like i said drop us a line :crap: