PDA

View Full Version : First masters race report

Geoff
03-05-2007, 09:09 AM
It was a dark and stormy night, not really I was very excited first race of the year, little to no training (this would be my longest ride of the year) this had the makings of something. I’m not sure what but something.

It was a little colder than I like being from Florida, temperatures at the start were about 38-40F, not too bad unless you consider the 25mph winds, at least it was sunny.

We started 10min back from the P12 and 5 back from the 3s with a 2km neutral roll out.

First off this was the last part of the omnium and listening (ease dropping as I didn’t know anyone else in my race) to a few of the teams while waiting to start it was apparent there were at least some plans in effect for the top guys.

Once the race started it was noticeably more civil than the 4 or 5 races I have done, lots of communication, consistent speeds, etc. It was also the most “race like” race I have been in, there were lots of attacks and chases in the beginning until the group seemed happy to let a break go. We were doing 2 laps of a 32 mile loop and the first break stayed out until about 2 miles to go in the first lap at which time the hammer fell on a very open section of the course that also had those 25 mph winds at a serious angle stringing everything out. We started with about 50 guys and I was staying in the front 15 or so the whole time and I actually felt pretty good and comfort able, until this section. Once it all got strung out I was really feeling the pain with no draft because of the cross wind and hammering away I hung on for about another 6-7 miles but ended up having to pullout. To my surprise when I pulled out there was no one behind me the group had dwindled down to about 15, 20 max. Not too bad, I think. I got with two other guys and we tried to chase back on but it wasn’t going to happen. So I turned around and returned to the finish line to watch the fire works. When they came in there was a group of 4 guys sprinting for the win, they were about 2 minutes ahead of the group, which was about 15 guys.

All in all I can’t wait for the nest one, if it weren’t for that killer cross wind I think I would have had made it fine (that’s my line and I’m sticking with it), I guess I need to work on some longer max effort intervals.

Also Swoop you were right there were more carbon rims than I have ever seen, at least 2 pair of lightweights (more than my whole setup) in my race. Oh and if they had another mile they would have caught and passed the 3s.

Well its over, I’m warm, and now I have a training goal for the year!

Can’t wait until next time.

Geoff

tv_vt
03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Geez, what is this, the Tour? I really almost have to laugh at the expensive stuff folks use in racing these days. I can see why the Tour in the early days gave all teams the same yellow bikes.

So, let's see, riding a racing bike worth say 10G and the winner gets, hmmm, a medal. Or a pair of clinchers?

It's a funny sport sometimes. Glad you had fun. The actual racing and feeling like you did well is what counts.

Karin Kirk
03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Sounds like a successful venture Geoff. I'm glad you had a positive experience that leaves you itching for more! Well done!

LegendRider
03-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I wasn't at this particular race, but I know one of the guys who rides Lightweights in the GA-based masters events. Actually, he doesn't spend a lot of money on the sport. Until recently he raced an old Trek OCLV and in the last few years he has dialed up his training/racing so his bikes are free thanks to his sponsors. The Lightweights - say $3,000 - look like a bargain when you don't have to buy bikes, components, uniforms or race entry fees.

J.Greene
03-05-2007, 11:40 AM
So, let's see, riding a racing bike worth say 10G and the winner gets, hmmm, a medal. Or a pair of clinchers?

Yesterday I lost a lung for a pair of preme socks. At the time it seemed like a good idea :)

JG

jwprolo
03-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Still, even with sponsorship I remember Dede Barry talking right after winning a silver medal about only riding the carbon stuff for maybe 7 races a year-- nothing else was that important. I guess the sponsorship dollars are well spent- the masses are beliving it's important to have what the pros ride.

Geoff
03-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Ya, it was a blast. I just have not had the time to put in the required training yet to do well, but I am satisfied with how I did with what I had to give. The time change this weekend will be a big help for me.

The best part about racing masters... not getting smoked by a kid that looks like he hasnt reached puberty yet.

G

oldguy00
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Geez, what is this, the Tour? I really almost have to laugh at the expensive stuff folks use in racing these days. I can see why the Tour in the early days gave all teams the same yellow bikes.

What does it matter? Is it any different than someone in Florida owning an SUV, as there is no winter/snow?

oldguy00
03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Ya, it was a blast. I just have not had the time to put in the required training yet to do well, but I am satisfied with how I did with what I had to give. The time change this weekend will be a big help for me.

The best part about racing masters... not getting smoked by a kid that looks like he hasnt reached puberty yet.

G

Hey, congrats on your race. My only suggestion would be to finish the race, even if you get dropped. You'll feel even better about the race if you finish. Just my .02. :)

LegendRider
03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm not a big fan of the arms race in amateur racing either, but the laws of physics are not terribly flexible. High-tech equipment that is light and aerodynamic makes a difference. I'm sure this observation will bring a ton of comments about winning races with tactical smarts and anecdotes about the guy who won last weekend's crit on a steel bike with downtube shifters.

Too Tall
03-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Get down with your bad self ;) Congrats, that's a good report.

oldguy00
03-05-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not a big fan of the arms race in amateur racing either, but the laws of physics are not terribly flexible. High-tech equipment that is light and aerodynamic makes a difference. I'm sure this observation will bring a ton of comments about winning races with tactical smarts and anecdotes about the guy who won last weekend's crit on a steel bike with downtube shifters.

Downtube shifters.....those were the days.... :)
Yeah, high end equipment makes a difference, but I'm not sure if it would make a measureable difference in a flat cat 4 road race..

tv_vt
03-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Re gear: "What does it matter?"

Well, you're right, it doesn't matter. I look for a technical edge as much as the next person. One of my criteria for buying new gear used to be "will it make me faster?" Not having raced for a while, it's interesting to see the extent to which the arms race has progressed. I can't afford to race if that's the kind of gear it takes these days.

' Course, it'll be in the Masters where you really see the bling, anyway. thank god for day jobs...

J.Greene
03-05-2007, 12:43 PM
I'd ride a steel bike with 2000g wheels if I could go back and pick my parents too ....

JG

EdK
03-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Way to go Geoff, it does gets better with each race but oldguy is correct try and finish the next one. The entire break could crash and be taken to the hospital (it could happen). To quote our esteemed colleague Obtuse. "The only place you can buy speed is in the wheels". You see Lightweights and other high end wheels in the Masters pel because they can afford it. Do not doubt that they most certainly make a difference especially if the owner is equipped with a high horsepower motor. Also 9 out of 10 cat 1's would race with lightweights or other high end carbon wheels if they had them. Don't want to turn this into a old vs. new 36 hole vs. lightweight debate but current day masters racing is home of expensive parts and fast guys. These guys are passionate about their hobby and have the means to buy the TSTWKT......
By the way PREEM is spelled Prime.....

RABikes2
03-06-2007, 02:01 AM
Good race report Geoff, congratulations! :banana:
RA

Geoff
03-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Way to go Geoff, it does gets better with each race but oldguy is correct try and finish the next one. The entire break could crash and be taken to the hospital (it could happen)

Ya Ya, I know. If the loop had been shorter and the weather a litle better I would have continued, but even after 35-40 miles my skinny but was still quite cold. I didnt want to make those that came with me stand out in the cold and wait an extra hour for me to roll in solo. I guess that shows lack of motovation or hardness but it seemed like the right choice to me.

Thanks for the support I will report back after the next race with success.

G

orbea65
03-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Slightly OT, but I read a thread on weightweenies recently by a triathlete who had spent time in the wind tunnel, who claimed that Lightweight wheels get some of the worst scores in the wind tunnel. Is this true?? I can only imagine that maybe the large spokes they use might cause some drag? Since the rim looks nice and deep..

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24668&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195

Last post on the page..

ss-jimbo
03-06-2007, 08:19 AM
The GA Cup races are interesting. There are only 5 cats, Pro-Am (1,2,3), Elite (3,4), Competitive (4,5), Women's (1-4), and Master's (1 big group). They have the set up for making killer money. They only do pre-reg. The prize money is miniscule for the individual races and only decent for the entire stage race. The race is well run at least.

My race was interesting as well. We rolled out REALLY SLOW, but once we turned into the cross wind from a head wind, several of us rolled up the roughly paved shoulder, on the sheltered side, and started attacking. Apparently the last couple got yelled at, but if there's pavement, it's out of the wind, and no one else is there, I'm going to use it. There is no white line rule (I don't pass in the grass or dirt though). I tried animating, and a couple of my teammates did the same. After a while a group of three got up the road. They were gone for about 12 miles, and when we caught them there was a surge, which sent me to the back. I was hugging the yellow line to stay in the draft as much as possible.

I got word from one of my team that our strongest guy was up the road, so I moved right, into the wind, and with a huge effort moved to the front to help him out. Unfortunately none of the other guys did the same. We had the numbers to go yellow-white and ride along at 19-20, but it just didn't happen. I hopped the wheels of a couple guys who were trying to bridge. One got dropped, but the other was really strong. I helped a bit, figuring if I could get in the break, we'd have two, but it wasn't to be. I dropped back pretty beat, and though he got close the other guy never made it.

Once back in the field I resumed my position toward the front, and made sure there were never many people working to bring the break back. Again none of my other teammates were anywhere to be found. I tried to mess up the rotation a bit, without being a total jerk, but the break was caught with a huge surge with around 10 miles to go. It split the pack and I was behind the split. Things settled down and we got back together.

For the next 8 miles or so we dawdled along at 18 mph or so, until the left hand turn for the spur to the start/finish. There was another big surge and I was done. I cruised in to finish behind the bunch. Our other strong guy (we have 2, there were 5's a couple of weeks ago), finished 5th. The two of them were tied for second among the Cat 4's for the weekend (in the 3-4 field).

I was happy with what I did and proud that I worked as a team player. I was disappointed that some of the others didn't do the same. Ah, well. My fitness is coming around, which is encouraging. I had a setback at the beginning of Feb, when I crashed and sustained a grade 3 separated shoulder. My next races are the FL SS Championships, and then on the road the Webster Roubaix in April. I think I should be a lot stronger by then.

Sorry for the book, but it was a busy race. Thanks to Geoff for posting the beginning of the thread.

J.Greene
03-06-2007, 08:28 AM
The My next races are the FL SS Championships, and then on the road the Webster Roubaix in April. I think I should be a lot stronger by then.

SS-Jimbo

Have you done webster roubaix before? What team do you race for?

JG

LegendRider
03-06-2007, 08:46 AM
The GA Cup races are interesting. There are only 5 cats, Pro-Am (1,2,3), Elite (3,4), Competitive (4,5), Women's (1-4), and Master's (1 big group). They have the set up for making killer money. They only do pre-reg. The prize money is miniscule for the individual races and only decent for the entire stage race. The race is well run at least.

I can't speak for the entire series, but my team put on a GA Cup race and it wasn't a huge money-maker. There are a lot of fees that you don't see - EMTs, police officers, staging/timing, etc.

stevep
03-06-2007, 08:57 AM

so you are doing this for the money?
you should be ecstatic that the race is well run and that you have a race to go to. if the entry fee is too much and you're gonna cry about it then dont enter the race. you should be respectful of the people promoting the event and dont lay some bs " these guys are making a killing on us.." at most the $$ go toward some charity or financing a club
it beyond fries my arse to hear that from 3s, 4s, 5s, vets.
any prize money in my opinion should go to elite fields only. rest get medals and trophies. if you want money then race against the good guys not the beginners.
my club been running races for 30 years. smooth, successful events in which maybe we come out a few bucks ahead... maybe we dont... but riders flock to these events and they are always sold out prereg. and its not for the prize money.

rant over.

ss-jimbo
03-06-2007, 08:58 AM
No, I don't think they've done it in several years. I'm excited about it as I love to ride the red clay roads up in Tallahassee. I race for Atomic, but I want to say that I love my teammates, and was not trying to trash my team in the previous message.

SS-Jimbo

Have you done webster roubaix before? What team do you race for?

JG

J.Greene
03-06-2007, 09:06 AM
No, I don't think they've done it in several years. I'm excited about it as I love to ride the red clay roads up in Tallahassee. I race for Atomic, but I want to say that I love my teammates, and was not trying to trash my team in the previous message.

I plan on being there.

JG

ss-jimbo
03-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Umm,

My club puts on a race weekend too. We have put on the state championship the past two years. I was only commenting, I wasn't complaining. I know there are a ton of hidden fees, we are putting the budget together for this year right now. But, you can't say that eliminating junior racing, and lumping the beginning women with Cat 1's and 2's is good for racers. Also if you're 55 you have to race with the 35's? I actually love the field structure for the men's Cat racing.

In Florida our fees are lower, $28 max for a non 1-2 race, $30 for the 1-2's. The prize money is comparable or better, and there are far more categories.

Do I do it for the prize money? Hell no, I haven't finished in the money this year. But I hate the "you should just be thankful that we put on the race" attitude. As I said, the GA Cup race was very well run, but the system is being refined to reduce costs (maybe that's more diplomatic) and headaches.

By the way, I will make one tangible complaint, not about money. The women's tt results were not posted before they started their crit. Thus my wife had no way of knowing that she was only 3 seconds behind and in 5th place in the overall standings. The rest of the fields were posted.

Edit to add that the prize money comment also refers to the fact that with small prize money in the individual races, that motivates people to race the overall. I looked back and the overall was decent. People who only signed up for 1 stage were racing for $400 for the pro 1-3 race. That's small potatos.

so you are doing this for the money?
you should be ecstatic that the race is well run and that you have a race to go to. if the entry fee is too much and you're gonna cry about it then dont enter the race. you should be respectful of the people promoting the event and dont lay some bs " these guys are making a killing on us.." at most the $$ go toward some charity or financing a club
it beyond fries my arse to hear that from 3s, 4s, 5s, vets.
any prize money in my opinion should go to elite fields only. rest get medals and trophies. if you want money then race against the good guys not the beginners.
my club been running races for 30 years. smooth, successful events in which maybe we come out a few bucks ahead... maybe we dont... but riders flock to these events and they are always sold out prereg. and its not for the prize money.

rant over.

theprep
03-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Once back in the field I resumed my position toward the front, and made sure there were never many people working to bring the break back. Again none of my other teammates were anywhere to be found. I tried to mess up the rotation a bit, without being a total jerk, but the break was caught with a huge surge with around 10 miles to go. It split the pack and I was behind the split. Things settled down and we got back together.

Is it ever acceptable to "mess up the rotation"? I personnally don't think so. It is negative racing. It is hard enough to organize a chase with an amateur team (no headsets) and the odds of pulling back a 1 or 2 minute break with a couple of guys rotating are slim to none as is.

Stay out of the way, let em take there shot.

I was in a 3 man rotation Sunday chasing a 4 man break. This fella in the 4th spot kept turning the screws on us. He would act like he was going to take a turn and then let a gap open which hurt to close. Real subtle. We "discussed" this on the road and his response was "I gotta guy up the road". Maybe because we are Masters, there were no insults or name calling exchanged, which is kinda cool.

Am I crazy or is this acceptable racing to others that "play" bike racer for a couple hours on the weekend?

Joe

coylifut
03-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Is it ever acceptable to "mess up the rotation"? I personnally don't think so. It is negative racing. It is hard enough to organize a chase with an amateur team (no headsets) and the odds of pulling back a 1 or 2 minute break with a couple of guys rotating are slim to none as is.

I was in a 3 man rotation Sunday chasing a 4 man break. This fella in the 4th spot kept turning the screws on us. He would act like he was going to take a turn and then let a gap open which hurt to close. Real subtle. We "discussed" this on the road and his response was "I gotta guy up the road". Maybe because we are Masters, there were no insults or name calling exchanged, which is kinda cool.

Am I crazy or is this acceptable racing to others that "play" bike racer for a couple hours on the weekend?

Joe

personally, i think it's negative. if i have a guy up the road, i'll act as a gate keeper and sit on so i can counter, but i never mess with the rotation. not everyone shares my opinion, so i see it from time to time.

bcm119
03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Ya Ya, I know. If the loop had been shorter and the weather a litle better I would have continued, but even after 35-40 miles my skinny but was still quite cold. I didnt want to make those that came with me stand out in the cold and wait an extra hour for me to roll in solo. I guess that shows lack of motovation or hardness but it seemed like the right choice to me.

Thanks for the support I will report back after the next race with success.

G
I think you did the right thing. Once you're dropped theres not much point in finishing. In a long circuit RR its better to pull off and stay out of the way of the other fields atmo. I've been there, and know that getting dropped blows your legs completely, and any extra miles are not benefitting you at that point. Better to stop and start eating/drinking and getting ready for next time. IMHO of course.

ss-jimbo
03-06-2007, 10:16 AM

Most of the time, I just played the gate blocker role. I sat at the back end of the fast line. I let the returning rider from the slow line pull in, but was keeping additional riders from coming in from behind without going around me. I feel like this is perfectly fine.

So what is a teammate supposed to do when someone is up the road? Nothing? By the way, I didn't have a single complaint.

theprep
03-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Most of the time, I just played the gate blocker role. I sat at the back end of the fast line. I let the returning rider from the slow line pull in, but was keeping additional riders from coming in from behind without going around me. I feel like this is perfectly fine.

So what is a teammate supposed to do when someone is up the road? Nothing? By the way, I didn't have a single complaint.

Yea - what you described this time is fine. Just holding your place and letting the slow line back in is ok.

manet
03-06-2007, 10:27 AM
riders that scream are @sses _ it's just another form of whining.

best to sit up and call a time-out.

Bobbo
03-06-2007, 10:27 AM
personally, i think it's negative. if i have a guy up the road, i'll act as a gate keeper and sit on so i can counter, but i never mess with the rotation. not everyone shares my opinion, so i see it from time to time.

By definition, this is negative racing, but that doesn't mean it's verboten. It's simply a tactic. I think sitting on is probably the best, and most gentlemanly solution. If you are actively disrupting the rotation, don't be surprised if you get flicked.

ss-jimbo
03-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Yea - what you described this time is fine. Just holding your place and letting the slow line back in is ok.

Are the "Gentlemanly Rules of Racing" available somewhere? I know what's legal and what's not, but where is the list of what's good form and what's not.

As someone who's currently not in good enough shape to be in a smallish break, and not currently strong enough to lay down a good sprint, I'd just like to know what I as a teammate can do.

So I guess moving forward in the fast line and not pulling around, so that another racer has to go around me is bad form. I'll admit to doing that a small handful of times (5 or 6 maybe, during an 8 mile or so chase).

I'm genuinly curious. Is negative racing that which allows only those strong enough to break away or sprint to win?

Oh and so that I don't come across as only a negative racer, last year in the state 35+ road race, I found myself in a break with 3 Cat 2's and a 3. I'm a 4, and a decent one (don't ever really do enough races to cat up though, so I'm not sandbagging), but I took my turn every time it came up. Maybe I could've done better had I sat out a few times, but I was able to hold my head up at the end of the race. And before I got up the road, the teammates of the first two guys were constantly patrolling the front to make sure it was never more than 3-4 guys who were chasing. It was a paceline, not a rotation, so they could just hang out at the front when they naturally wound up there.

coylifut
03-06-2007, 11:20 AM
By definition, this is negative racing, but that doesn't mean it's verboten. It's simply a tactic. I think sitting on is probably the best, and most gentlemanly solution. If you are actively disrupting the rotation, don't be surprised if you get flicked.

you mean actively disrupting the rotation, not just sitting on the back? Right?

A.L.Breguet
03-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Oh come now fellas. Just face the fact that there are many different motives for participating in local racing. Plenty are just happy to be there and would never interfere in a chase. Others want to feel like a pro, but lack the fitness and skills to ride like one. Others, even us vets, have dreams of recapturing former glories or experiencing glory for the first time.
That's what makes the racing scene so interesting.

myette10
03-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Are the "Gentlemanly Rules of Racing" available somewhere? I know what's legal and what's not, but where is the list of what's good form and what's not.

As someone who's currently not in good enough shape to be in a smallish break, and not currently strong enough to lay down a good sprint, I'd just like to know what I as a teammate can do.

So I guess moving forward in the fast line and not pulling around, so that another racer has to go around me is bad form. I'll admit to doing that a small handful of times (5 or 6 maybe, during an 8 mile or so chase).

I'm genuinly curious. Is negative racing that which allows only those strong enough to break away or sprint to win?

Oh and so that I don't come across as only a negative racer, last year in the state 35+ road race, I found myself in a break with 3 Cat 2's and a 3. I'm a 4, and a decent one (don't ever really do enough races to cat up though, so I'm not sandbagging), but I took my turn every time it came up. Maybe I could've done better had I sat out a few times, but I was able to hold my head up at the end of the race. And before I got up the road, the teammates of the first two guys were constantly patrolling the front to make sure it was never more than 3-4 guys who were chasing. It was a paceline, not a rotation, so they could just hang out at the front when they naturally wound up there.

two different situations here: being in a break and chasing one down.

except in the strongest of fields, it seems that if you need to sit in to hang with a break you are going to get dropped eventually. if however you sit in to better position yourself for a good result then that is generally acceptable assuming you did your fair share to of work to make sure that the break won't get caught. sitting in like that is just good strategy. this isn't triathlon and the the winner isn't necessarily the most fit rider.

as far as disrupting a chase, slowing when you get to the front is a bad idea from a safety perspective if nothing else. catch all the wheels you need to, cover all the attacks you can and if you find yourself at the front as someone pulls off, safely pull of yourself. sitting in on a chase group is a safe approach but if the catch is made your guy that was up the road will want to know why you weren't more disruptive. you have to train with and count on him in the future, not the other guys in the break.

Bobbo
03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
you mean actively disrupting the rotation, not just sitting on the back? Right?

Correct.

swoop
03-06-2007, 01:50 PM
lots of well intentioned bike 'racers' confuse blocking for moving up front and sitting up. a kind of nfl version of blocking on a bike.

blocking means riding the tempo the guys in the break are riding.. or perhaps a hair faster. the idea that the gap is maintained but the pace in the field is either hard enough to dissuade a counter or to fool the guys into thinking you'll catch them back.

riding to the front and sitting up is just jackassery and is undon by simply riding over the top of the blocker. i have never seen that tactic work. not once.

you can mass the team at the front and slow the pace down and then just jump on whomever counters. and then you sit on back. so the guys countering have to deal with pulling you to the break which should give you superior numbers and fresh legs.

but blocking the rotation or going to the front and nfl blocking.. just makes you look like an idiot and.. when you get marked as an idiot. its hard to lose that title (be proud.. you earned it). you want to earn any a modicum of respect from the guys in the field that you can... otherwise you'll never be offered a wheel when things get single file and if you do go off the front.. the field will have so little respect for you that they'll just let you cook yourself.
so.. like all things.. you can ride how you see fit... but there are conseqeunces and always more going on than meets the eye.

the only top tens i've gotten in 30plus races are because i was allowed the result. mostly because i don't do stupid things to guys or leave gaps and if i'm on front.. it's not to go soft.

what ruins the quality of the field is the guys that fight to get up front and then once there.. don't know what to do. they're gassed or clueless. it makes thing surge and slow.. is responsible for 90% of the crashes... and does nothing for the race. what also is idiotic is the guys that yell 'pedal'.
the point is.. if you notice the slow down.. to get there and go pedal yourself. its not as if no one knows what's going on.

it's not a gentlemans thing. gibby hatton will gladly help show your front tire to the curb and leave you for dead... with a .. hey, that's bike racing. its about understanding bike racing versus just being another wanker in lycra in the way of the racing.
(and for the record.. i suck.. but i suck in a respectable way).
where beginners get confused about blocking is that thye see a crit where the field has given-up on the break. (you can break the will of the field in the break.. you can actually feel it happen). and so the field is going around in circles at 3/4 speed and the guy's in the break team is on front to cover any attack.
it looks like they are blocking by going slow.. which isn't the case.. it's that the field has essentially sat up. the team isn't slowing anyone down... just covering everything. maybe you send a guy to the back to facilitate the break lapping the field.

stuff like that.

atmo.

EdK
03-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Well said Swoop, I was typing basically the same message. Back in the day there was no internet forum to get this type of advice. Your flailed around making mistakes until you figured it out or some kind soul took pity on you and helped you understand....

swoop
03-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Well said Swoop, I was typing basically the same message. Back in the day there was no internet forum to get this type of advice. Your flailed around making mistakes until you figured it out or some kind soul took pity on you and helped you understand....

did i see you at CBR this weekend?

swoop
03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
on quitting:

listen to the jerk.

every real road race you will ever do.. you are going to encounter a moment in the race when you need to quit. notice i am not saying want to quit.. i am saying need to quit.
you will be cramping or hurt from dehydration. you'll rationalize something like.. i left the lights on, my wife is waiting in the feed zone. you will be just off the back or in no mans land.

this happens to everyone in all levels of racing.
dont quit. ride yourself back into rythym.
everyone goes through this during every hard race. sometimes by not quiting.. you actually might win. something does happen internally to you.
watch zabel and thor in last year classics... dropped on the cobbled climbs and fighting back in from no mans land.

this is the essence of bike racing.
in fact... you haven't raced a bike until you've punched through the other side of the rationalizing the quiting.

next time.... don't quit. even if the wife is on fire in the feed zone. it's your mind playing with you. the race doesn't start until you are in that place where you needed to quit but didn't.

trust me. you'll see. this is where it changes from a bike race to a life altering experience. it gets personal.

J.Greene
03-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Great advice...and I'd like to add, quitting gets easier everytime you do it.

JG

on quitting
next time.... don't quit. even if the wife is on fire in the feed zone. it's your mind playing with you. the race doesn't start until you are in that place where you needed to quit but didn't.

trust me. you'll see. this is where it changes from a bike race to a life altering experience. it gets personal.

coylifut
03-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I finished last place in a really hard masters stage race last year just because the 20 or so guys behind me quit on the last day. I almost finished last in another. I'm no swoop, so I don't know how to articulate this, but come fall, not quiting is why I won a couple of CX races and was on the podium in a bunch more.

EdK
03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
did i see you at CBR this weekend?

Not me sir, I am on TDY in Hawaii. I was carrying the mainland flag in a Time Trial out here this past weekend. Most likely Stricky and Turbow....

How did it go for you?

Geoff
03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Fisrt I would like to say it was a very well run event. And I am in it for the money. Unfortunately I always seem to leave with less than I came with? If I could just win a few of those races I might beable to buy my kids some legos or get that new stapler I have been eyeing.

That being said as a guy who is out there to have fun, test myself, and maybe have a shot at doing well or even better yet helping a friend do well, I would much rather have a metal or something. Chances are if I win some money I will just blow it a DQ before I get home. At least a metal would go in the box and my kids could play with it and pretend they wonthe Tour or something.

On the topic of blocking. I noticed in the 4/5 race there appeared to be a great deal of "blocking" that I thought was very poor. There was a team sponsored by a furnature rental store that will remian nameless who had about 12 guys in this race. They seemed to ride yellow to white as our other contributer put it and were essentially "blocking" anyone from comming around with out violating the yellow line rule (which was very strictly enforced). They finished in a sprint that my 6 year old could have won. I concider this very poor form. Is that wrong or is this a legitamate tactic?

Another thing, when I pulled up and stopped racing I didnt see that as quiting but maybe I am fooling myself. I have won many races and beesuccessful at lots of things in my time and when i think I have a shot and stop..thats quiting. I see what I did as cutting my losses to fight another day.

Geoff