PDA

View Full Version : Another day in paradise(Thanks Ken Robb)

H.Frank Beshear
05-26-2004, 11:12 PM
We returned from our trip from San Diego today. Many thanks to my new riding pal Ken Robb. I snuck out of meetings he snuck out of work and we went for a ride. :D Ken picked me up at our hotel with bikes in tow and off we went. Kens bikes have B-17 saddles and flat pedals I wore street shorts and tennis shoes and was amazed at how comfortable I was. We rode up to the Lighthouse and the view was amazing. We cruised along Mission bay for a while, then stopped for a treat, fish tacos and a cold beer. The weather there is truly amazing. Ken Thanks for the wonderful hospitality,I had a great time on our ride together, and someday hope to return the favor. It was the highlight of a very nice trip. Thanks again, Take care Frank

Jeff N.
05-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Glad you had a good time, Frank! How'd you like the Hotel Del? I love that place. Especially in the summer. Also, nothin' like a fish taco and a cold Corona, right? Take care, Jeff N.

Ken Robb
05-27-2004, 01:55 PM
for the fish taco mavins in the group: these were not your yummy but run-of-the-mill battered and fried tacos. We went to Sportsman's Seafood (fish market with cafe attached) and got grilled fresh ahi tuna tacos. It's like good hamburger vs. filet mignon.

weisan
05-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Frank, I know exactly what you mean.

I had the privilege a couple of months ago to enjoy paradise when I was at LA attending a conference. It was my dear friend Tom Byrnes who had graciously loaned me his "wonder" bike, the Serotta Ottrott ST. I took the bike out and rode for a solid six hours under perfect weather, going through the bike paths on the beaches and doing a fair bit of climbing up Palos Verdes mountain and Hawthorne Blvd. What a glorious day it was, just me, the road and the bike. It was PERFECTO!!! And I owe it all to my friend, Tom.

This is the route that I took.

http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/LA_bike_route.gif

sellsworth
05-27-2004, 10:42 PM
San Diego is cycling paradise - a close second to Reno/Tahoe in my mind. I road in Cuyamaca State Park two summers ago. Last summer it was completely burned over in the Cedar fire. What a shame.

Ken Robb
05-28-2004, 12:36 PM
yep the fire really changed that area. Always looking for a bright side I find that I can now maintain a higher downhill speed due to the improved and lengthened sightlines through the many corners. :-) The hills are already "greening up" better than an average Spring with more wildflowers. I sure do miss those big old trees though.