PDA

View Full Version : How to remove rim tape?

oldguy00
03-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I bought a used set of wheels. It looks like they used rim tape (tubular wheels) as there is a very thin film of see-through tape on the rims. It isn't coming off easy at all. I tried 'goo gone', but it isn't really working....
help!

regularguy412
03-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm assuming you're trying to remove some kind of residual adhesive that lies 'in' the groove of the rim , between the braking surfaces and on top of where the spokes / nipples protrude ( next to the tire ). If they're aluminum, you may have to go to a bit harsher solvent to get it to release. Something like naptha or PVC pipe solvent/prep is good for this.

If they're carbon rims, you should consult the rim manufacturer for recommendations. Some solvents may be detrimental to the carbon surface.

As I write this, I'm sitting here trying to figure out what kind of adhesive system would leave some kind of thin film. I think Tufo sells a type of 'air pressure activated' tubular rim glue that is supposed to become sticky when you air up the tire AFTER you get it on the rim. I've never used it. My only experience has been with the Vittoria standard red glue and with Continental clear.

Mike in AR

oldguy00
03-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm assuming you're trying to remove some kind of residual adhesive that lies 'in' the groove of the rim , between the braking surfaces and on top of where the spokes / nipples protrude ( next to the tire ). If they're aluminum, you may have to go to a bit harsher solvent to get it to release. Something like naptha or PVC pipe solvent/prep is good for this.

If they're carbon rims, you should consult the rim manufacturer for recommendations. Some solvents may be detrimental to the carbon surface.

As I write this, I'm sitting here trying to figure out what kind of adhesive system would leave some kind of thin film. I think Tufo sells a type of 'air pressure activated' tubular rim glue that is supposed to become sticky when you air up the tire AFTER you get it on the rim. I've never used it. My only experience has been with the Vittoria standard red glue and with Continental clear.

Mike in AR

Yup, aluminum mavic rim. I don't know for sure that it is tubular tape.....what I know for sure is that the wheels are used, and I can tell for sure that tubular glue has never been used on them. It is a very thin film of double sided clear tape or something..

regularguy412
03-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Well if it turns out to be double-stick tape, the previous owner was takin' his life in his own hands. An improperly adhered tubular yields just about the scariest results I've ever seen.

If it is truly double-stick tape, the tape medium itself probably wont be affected very much by solvent. IMHO, you'll have to try to get 'under' the edge of the tape very carefully by using some kind of tool. Be careful not to gouge the surface. Once you get a 'toe-hold' with a piece of the tape raised, try using solvent again to get it to release.

Be prepared for a tedious, time consuming process -- especially if the tape/ adhesive has been on there for a few years. The adhesive can turn into something close to concrete.

Mike in AR

dirtdigger88
03-04-2007, 10:32 AM
goo- off

or

goo gone

and lots of time and fresh air-

jason

Too Tall
03-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Sounds an awful lot like what TUFO tape leaves behind. If it is on solid leave it.

pjm
03-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Lacquer thinner.

03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
It might be the base tape in the Tufo rim tape but that stuff has a certain amount of thickness to it. If this is a really thin film, it might simply be the well-cured adhesive left after a piece of tape was removed. In the latter case, it won't come off as a strip.

For the Tufo, start at the spoke hole and soak it with Goof-off or a little toluene (from Home Depot's paint department). Once the end is released, you can grab it with pliers and then with a fast snap, yank the tape off the rim. It isn't easy and may come off in several pieces or not at all. If you ever use Tufo tape again (I don't), I'd recommend leaving on the covering paper for the last half inch on one side of the valve hole; that way you have a loose tab to grab. The Tufo tape does come off more easily when cold.

If it's simply well-cured adhesive, either of the same solvents will generally work. On an aluminum rim you can test some paint stripper, but the stuff tends to discolor anodizing (and sometimes removes it) and it really kills any decals on your rim. Goof-off isn't particularly great for you. Toluene is out and out bad -- wear gloves (polyethylene surgical gloves -- the tolene will dissolve some work or kitchen gloves) and use it outdoors so you don't have to breathe it too much. Toluene absorbs through the skin rapidly and goes to your kidneys, liver, and eyes.

It's not a bad thing to clean off the rim if you don't know what was on there. Thereafter, stick with one kind of glue and you simply shouldn't have to clean the rim again. One reason I don't favor Tufo tapes is that you sooner or later have to get the tapes off the rim, and it isn't fun. It doesn't give a better glue bond than regular rim cement -- just an easier to apply one -- and I'd rather just do the work up front and make sure it's solid and doesn't need extra later attention. Tufo tape is great for shops because they can show it to a new tubular owner in about 30 seconds and the new tubular owner can think that tubulars are a snap. In my mind, that's its biggest merit. For the rider, long term, you don't come out ahead and may be unhappy ultimately with the result.

oldguy00
03-05-2007, 11:48 AM
If this is a really thin film, it might simply be the well-cured adhesive left after a piece of tape was removed. In the latter case, it won't come off as a strip.

I believe this may be the case. Goo-gone doesn't seem to be helping much.....I amy go with the suggestion of just gluing over it, since it seems to be stuck damn good and evenly...

Too Tall
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
OldBro - that's what I do. If you are really paranoid put a smear of your glue of choice on a section and leave it for a few days than use a plastic tyre lever and see how well it adheres. What 11.4 said is good advice. If you can see a clear plastic strip covering spoke holes...that needs to go bye bye.

oldguy00
03-05-2007, 12:24 PM
If you can see a clear plastic strip covering spoke holes...that needs to go bye bye.

Sorry, not sure what you mean?
The film on the rim, while see through, does go over the spoke holes. Does it matter? When you actually use tufo tape, do you poke holes in it to open up the spoke holes?? I'm confused...
If it matters, it is a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL tubies.

Too Tall
03-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Oh man those Carbone wheels are terrible...let me take them off your hands and you just get on with business ;) Kidding, nice wheels.

Re-read what 11.4 posted. lift up the clear film and cut it, now peel off the strip from the entire wheel. It will come off the wheel with not too much trouble leaving behind a very solid layer of residue which you'll leave behind and glue over...make sense? Leave the (terrible awful junky ) wheels by the furnace to warm will make the job easier.