PDA

View Full Version : Ride Impressions SRAM Rival

Smiley
03-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Well finally I got out on my geared bike today. 40 miles of hilly stuff using the new SRAM Rival complete grouppo on the Hors Categorie. Very simple at first glance. What I noticed the most as compared to my old 9 speed DurAce stuff is how much stiffer I thought the BB area was with the new out board bearing on the crankset. I am convinced now that outboard bearings are a must on any bike set up. My Uniscasi feels a tad stiffer and thats to be expected since its a steel bike with an Ultegra 10 speed grouppo. Next what I noticed is the brakes are a tad stronger then my Shimano 10 speed Ultegra grouppo and I attribute this to the compound on the pads that feels stickier.
OK, lets talk ergonomics of the hoods. These hoods set my reach out about 7-9 mm longer then my 9 speed hoods but they do allow the brifters to mount a tad higher on the bends of the handlebars for what appears to be a smooth transition from the bars to the brifters. This is really nice and IF you have smallish hands you'll LOVE the size and ergonomics of the shape of the brifters. This BLOWS Shimano 9 and 10 speeds brifters out of the game...PERIOD. Lets talk shifting, the down shifts on the rear are positive and a bit louder then my 10 speed stuff but you do know your down one gear and that is a positive, kind of like the old campy stuff. A takes a bit of getting used to up-shifts and what I have found with the 2 ways to do it with SRAM, that by pulling in the inboard lever (the only one that moves anyway) , by holding it in and throwing it to the side where it swings more inboard you can with a shorter throw make a good up-shift without blowing it to a down shift. Once I got the hang of this it became a piece of cake and I managed to do this on a climb while under pedal pressure with no issues. The front shift is different and maybe somebody out there can confirm my thoughts. At first I thought just do the same thing with the left brifter. Well NO one throw over will move the chain to the larger 53 ring yet no matter how much further I threw the lever I was stuck up on the 53 ring. What I found is by pulling IN the lever and then throwing it the chain droppped to the 39 NO Problems. Actually its nice to be able to pull the lever in like a trigger and release down. I am using a 53/39 with a 12-26 casette and found no cross over derailure rub needing a trim tab although it would have been nice to have this feature and maybe the only thing I would have asked for. All in all I am beyond impressed. Having smallish hands and the eronomics of fit for me make SRAM the clear choice for my re-fit of my Hors Categorie bike. I will for now keep my Travel Uniscasi with Ultegra 10 but if I had to change one thing it would be those bulky brifters, they work just fine but they are fat and bulbous to the grip.

If your on the fence go ahead and make the switch and BUY AMERICAN its all good.

SoCalSteve
03-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Well finally I got out on my geared bike today. 40 miles of hilly stuff using the new SRAM Rival complete grouppo on the Hors Categorie. Very simple at first glance. What I noticed the most as compared to my old 9 speed DurAce stuff is how much stiffer I thought the BB area was with the new out board bearing on the crankset. I am convinced now that outboard bearings are a must on any bike set up. My Uniscasi feels a tad stiffer and thats to be expected since its a steel bike with an Ultegra 10 speed grouppo. Next what I noticed is the brakes are a tad stronger then my Shimano 10 speed Ultegra grouppo and I attribute this to the compound on the pads that feels stickier.
OK, lets talk ergonomics of the hoods. These hoods set my reach out about 7-9 mm longer then my 9 speed hoods but they do allow the brifters to mount a tad higher on the bends of the handlebars for what appears to be a smooth transition from the bars to the brifters. This is really nice and IF you have smallish hands you'll LOVE the size and ergonomics of the shape of the brifters. This BLOWS Shimano 9 and 10 speeds brifters out of the game...PERIOD. Lets talk shifting, the down shifts on the rear are positive and a bit louder then my 10 speed stuff but you do know your down one gear and that is a positive, kind of like the old campy stuff. A takes a bit of getting used to up-shifts and what I have found with the 2 ways to do it with SRAM, that by pulling in the inboard lever (the only one that moves anyway) , by holding it in and throwing it to the side where it swings more inboard you can with a shorter throw make a good up-shift without blowing it to a down shift. Once I got the hang of this it became a piece of cake and I managed to do this on a climb while under pedal pressure with no issues. The front shift is different and maybe somebody out there can confirm my thoughts. At first I thought just do the same thing with the left brifter. Well NO one throw over will move the chain to the larger 53 ring yet no matter how much further I threw the lever I was stuck up on the 53 ring. What I found is by pulling IN the lever and then throwing it the chain droppped to the 39 NO Problems. Actually its nice to be able to pull the lever in like a trigger and release down. I am using a 53/39 with a 12-26 casette and found no cross over derailure rub needing a trim tab although it would have been nice to have this feature and maybe the only thing I would have asked for. All in all I am beyond impressed. Having smallish hands and the eronomics of fit for me make SRAM the clear choice for my re-fit of my Hors Categorie bike. I will for now keep my Travel Uniscasi with Ultegra 10 but if I had to change one thing it would be those bulky brifters, they work just fine but they are fat and bulbous to the grip.

If your on the fence go ahead and make the switch and BUY AMERICAN its all good.

Is the SRAM road gear made-manufactured in America? Or is it just an American marketing company?

old_school
03-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Smiley,
Thank you for the review ... much appreciated :beer:

Smiley
03-03-2007, 02:16 PM
SoCal , unless they are an offshore company at least their taxes are paid back here in the USA. That way we get to build more Statues and Buildings here in Washington DC so you can come and pay your hard earned California wages here in the Distric Of Columbia when you come to see these Statues and Buildings :)

stevep
03-03-2007, 02:59 PM
sram is located in the usa.
no parts are manufactured in the usa.
good review smiley.
sounds like you were smiling.

1centaur
03-03-2007, 04:17 PM
I'll just say that my smallish hands like the Shimano brifters much more. The SRAM shape wants to put your hands in a particular spot, one that works standing and with hands on hoods, I have found, but sitting and riding elbows down the heels of my hands move across edges in a way that I don't with Shimano because their hoods are softer.

I have been trying Rival on the trainer for a few weeks to see if I like it before I decide on whatever I build in 2007 for the road, and thus far I am thinking that I'll go back to Shimano.

SoCalSteve
03-03-2007, 04:48 PM
SoCal , unless they are an offshore company at least their taxes are paid back here in the USA. That way we get to build more Statues and Buildings here in Washington DC so you can come and pay your hard earned California wages here in the Distric Of Columbia when you come to see these Statues and Buildings :)

I work in the movie business, its not SO hard earned.

Thanks for the great review! My big hands (goes along with the 6' 5" of me) loves my Shimano brifters.

Serotta PETE
03-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the very detailled review. PETE

Bruce K
03-03-2007, 05:00 PM
I just picked up the Concours Cross from the SRAM conversion from D-A9.

The white hoods with dark blue tape look really good with the blus SLR and the blue/white decals. But it is clear that they will be a real b+++h to keep clean.

The shifter placement feels like it has eliminated the "groove" between the D-A9 shifters and the curvature of the bar and will therefore be more comfortable.

Pics and ride report soon.

BK

jthurow
03-03-2007, 05:38 PM
The white hoods with dark blue tape look really good with the blus SLR and the blue/white decals. But it is clear that they will be a real b+++h to keep clean.

The shifter placement feels like it has eliminated the "groove" between the D-A9 shifters and the curvature of the bar and will therefore be more comfortable.Oooo, where'd you get the white hoods? I'm using Nitto Dream bars and I LOVE the transition between the shifters and the bars. Very comfortable.
The front shift is different and maybe somebody out there can confirm my thoughts. At first I thought just do the same thing with the left brifter. Well NO one throw over will move the chain to the larger 53 ring yet no matter how much further I threw the lever I was stuck up on the 53 ring. What I found is by pulling IN the lever and then throwing it the chain droppped to the 39 NO Problems.Smiley, I haven't tried the left brifter shift thing but I will tomorrow and report back. I think the ergonomics of the brifters are great. I have fat hands with short fingers and find them to be really comfortable. I really like'm when I'm out of the saddle and gripping them. Glad you're liking the SRAM stuff, too.

jimi

jharsha
03-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Smiley, I've been riding SRAM for about 3 months now and just love it! The front der DOES have a 1 click trim position but it only works with the small chainring. I had to fiddle a bit to get everything smooth on the front but found that the SRAM instructions were very clear. My front shifts very smoothly with no chain rub in any position. I agree with you about the rear shifting, a little noisy but you sure know when you've shifted.

Happy miles

Jim

Bruce K
03-03-2007, 09:58 PM
jimi;

To my knowledge (and stevep can verify) there were only 3 sets of white hoods made for Lyne Bessette and 3 sets of red made for Ben Jaques-Maynes of the cyclocrossworld.com team.

Stu Thorne has been selling off some of the used sets and I was able to get one of the white sets. A second set is on one of Lyne's bikes hanging in Bay Road Bikes in Hamilton, MA, and I don't know where the third set got to.

I think there is still a set of red hooded shifters available but Stu is on vacation for 2 weeks.

BK

Fivethumbs
03-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Has anyone with large hands tried the SRAM?

Smiley
03-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Has anyone with large hands tried the SRAM?
I really don't see a problem with a large handed person using SRAM brifters. I would see a bigger issue with using a Campy hood with larger hands. I think the larger hands tend to ignore the bump on the Shimano hoods better then smallish hands. My opinion and one reason I wanted to use SRAM is because I sell Serotta's and most importantly I do bike fits and the brifters ergonomics are a big part of what I do.

michael white
03-04-2007, 10:57 AM
thanks very much for the great report. I've had my eye on SRAM, I will probably get a set, but don't need it, so the more reports the better in terms of making up my mind.

best,

mikey

Steve Hampsten
03-04-2007, 07:48 PM
I just returned from my ride (after getting up at 4am in San Jose but that's another story...) on my new steel bike with SRAM Rival - I love this stuff.

The price is great on the lower-line kit, mechanically the Force and Rival are identical, and you save about $600 by going with the (four ounce) heavier Rival. I can't say it's better than Campy or Shimano (and I like both) but it's an equally strong contender.

I give it two thumbs up.

jthurow
03-05-2007, 10:09 AM
...I have found with the 2 ways to do [up-shifts] with SRAM, that by pulling in the inboard lever (the only one that moves anyway) , by holding it in and throwing it to the side where it swings more inboard you can with a shorter throw make a good up-shift without blowing it to a down shift. Once I got the hang of this it became a piece of cake and I managed to do this on a climb while under pedal pressure with no issues. The front shift is different and maybe somebody out there can confirm my thoughts. At first I thought just do the same thing with the left brifter. Well NO one throw over will move the chain to the larger 53 ring yet no matter how much further I threw the lever I was stuck up on the 53 ring. What I found is by pulling IN the lever and then throwing it the chain droppped to the 39 NO Problems.

Smiley, I tried out the front shift thing yesterday. I found that the left brifter shifts the front the same as the right shifts the rear. I can pull the inboard shift lever in and one very short throw releases the cable tension and the derailleur moves the chain to the inner ring up front or a smaller cog in the back. Holding the lever in and moving the inboard lever further inside does the opposite. Is this what you were asking for confirmation of?

jimi

93legendti
03-29-2009, 06:57 AM
I really don't see a problem with a large handed person using SRAM brifters. I would see a bigger issue with using a Campy hood with larger hands. I think the larger hands tend to ignore the bump on the Shimano hoods better then smallish hands. My opinion and one reason I wanted to use SRAM is because I sell Serotta's and most importantly I do bike fits and the brifters ergonomics are a big part of what I do.
Smiley, how much of a difference in reach and height is there from the Ultegra 10 levers to Sram's levers?

dekindy
03-29-2009, 07:23 AM
My new bike was spec'd with Shimano 10-speed. Since I had Shimano 6000 and liked it I never considered anything else. Several months later I read that the Campy hoods were smaller and gave them a try. The Campy hoods suited my small hands much better. It was then that I realized Shimano 6000 hoods were about the same size as the Campy. Further research revealed that SRAM hoods were smaller and also would have been more to my liking. I wish I had known. My Shimano brifters will eventually wear out so I will replace them with Campy or SRAM.

Is the repairability of Campy and SRAM as good as claimed or is it just marketing? I have seen negative comments about this feature and wonder if it is just hype.

palincss
03-29-2009, 07:27 AM
My new bike was spec'd with Shimano. Since I had Shimano 6000 and liked it I never considered anything else. Several months later I read that the Campy hoods were smaller and gave them a try. The Campy hoods suited my small hands much better. It was then that I realized Shimano 6000 hoods were about the same size as the Campy.

If they were the same size, why did the Campagnolo suit your hands better? :confused:

dekindy
03-29-2009, 07:35 AM
All fit better than the new and larger Shimano 10-speed. I just did not know the difference because I did not consider anything but Shimano when I purchased the new bike.

Added 10-speed to previous comments. Does that clarify it?

soulspinner
03-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Smiley,
Thank you for the review ... much appreciated :beer:

+1 :beer:

Smiley
03-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Smiley, how much of a difference in reach and height is there from the Ultegra 10 levers to Sram's levers?
Huge for small handed clients especially women, its a default if I have a women client and they need all the TT and stem they can get, I think Campy now has lost an advantage due to their new 11 speed hoods being longer like Shimano, but not as thick. So SRAM is a very good solution especially when cost of the grouppo is figured into the equation.

93legendti
03-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Huge for small handed clients especially women, its a default if I have a women client and they need all the TT and stem they can get, I think Campy now has lost an advantage due to their new 11 speed hoods being longer like Shimano, but not as thick. So SRAM is a very good solution especially when cost of the grouppo is figured into the equation.
Do you think there is a 1 cm diff in the reach between Sram and Shimano levers?

Smiley
03-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Do you think there is a 1 cm diff in the reach between Sram and Shimano levers?
More like 1.5 cm differences and I compared this reach difference with my mentor Paul Levine who concured at the time. This is the main reason I would suggest SRAM if you have a reach issue.

93legendti
03-29-2009, 09:40 AM
More like 1.5 cm differences and I compared this reach difference with my mentor Paul Levine who concured at the time. This is the main reason I would suggest SRAM if you have a reach issue.
Thanks.

That is huge. I don't have reach issues per se.

I am wondering about the switch from Shimano to Sram and what adjustments would be necessary vis a vis reach.

TMB
03-29-2009, 10:03 AM
I have Rival on one bike and I really like it a lot.

All of my other bikes are Campagnolo, and I have no complaints about Rival in comparison.

The hoods are comfy and the shifts are quite precise.

As the the fact that it is "American" , I could not care less.

johnnymossville
03-29-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm riding the 2009 Rival stuff now after years of Shimano and couldn't be happier. By the way, they moved the front derailleur trim to the big ring now. I find that I don't really need it.

93legendti
03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Can parts from Red, Force and Rival be intermingled?

Smiley
03-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Can parts from Red, Force and Rival be intermingled?
Yes

93legendti
03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Yes
Thanks!