PDA

View Full Version : Paypal/eBay protection.

Xyzzy
03-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Well, nothing can protect you totally, but in case you are worried someone might steal your account via a phishing scam or whatever, get one of the new security key fobs pictured below. They cost $5.

Link:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/securitycenter/general/PPSecurityKey

Every time you log in you have to enter in a 6 digit number, so it slows things up, but I think the trade off in security is worth it. It took about 3 weeks for mine to be delivered, so be prepared for a bit of a wait.

The key fob works for both the Paypal and the eBay login.

Obviously, you still need to be careful.

Ozz
03-03-2007, 10:00 AM
funny....some banks use the same thing as an additional security layer for allowing commercial customers to initiate online electronic payments.

It seems kind of hokey, but it assures that you need more than just the login ID and password to access the account.

I'd be interested to hear what any IT Security folks would have to say about this.....

Xyzzy
03-04-2007, 01:12 PM
I'd be interested to hear what any IT Security folks would have to say about this.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securid

Louis
03-04-2007, 01:24 PM
We used to use similar ID creating "Gold Cards" at work for remote login to the internal network, but they've recently moved to keys that are loaded onto the laptops.

I'm no expert, but I think at least some versions of this type of system have been around for quite a while.

Louis

barry1021
03-04-2007, 01:50 PM
at our company to log in remotely.....the problem for me would be to remember to take it when I travel. Its easy for work becasue when I take my notebook, the fob is in the bag, but I can see me forgetting it on vacation and be locked out of EBAY (oh the pain!!)

b21

TMB
03-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Yup, we use the same thing to hook up to the VPN. If eBay started using them - like BArry - I'd forget it and the only thing that keeps me sane ( broke, but sane) in hotel rooms at night is trolling eBay.

Xyzzy
03-04-2007, 07:32 PM
...but I can see me forgetting it on vacation and be locked out of EBAY (oh the pain!!)There is some sort of provision for temporarily forgetting your key. I haven't tested it though.

Dekonick
03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Looks like additional protection to go along with a strong password. Remember to include symbols and numbers!

What about battery issues?