PDA

View Full Version : Ti Seatpost Scratches

Jeff Weir
03-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I've found a (used) Campy Record Ti seatpost at my LBS that has a fair amount of scratches. Would it be possible to polish/buff these out? Is there a product at the hardware store that could do the trick?

Many thanks

Jeff

musgravecycles
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Yes and Yes

Jestco makes a buffing compound that'll polish the piss outta anything.

jestcoproducts.com

neil h
03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
It can be done.

I came across one in much the same way you did; mine was sitting on the shelf because it had a less-than-perfect finish to it.

I used a polishing compound called "Solvol Autosol" from an auto detailing store. This is great stuff to have in your tool box. The other half of the toolkit was one of those nail buffing sticks the laydeez use. The ones that have separate shaping, buffing and polishing surfaces. They're usually pink and grey silicone rubber stuck to a white platic strip. Use the buffing surface, followed by Solvol and then the polishing surface. Then give it more Solvol and plenty of elbow grease.

I ran a thread about polishing a battleship grey Ti stem to purty mirror-shiny finish using these "tools". It's over on the other forum, the one that's had richie's book on the home page for the last week (dare not speak its name!)

here's a tiny url:
LINK (http://tinyurl.com/2tbwp5)

If you can't find any Solvol in your neck of the woods, e-mail me from "the other place" and I'll fix you up.

dirtclub
03-02-2007, 03:10 PM
if the scratches are light just running a fine scotch brite pad back and forth perpendicular to the post will do the trick. if the scratches are a bit deeper you could use a more abrasive pad and then work your way back to the fine. you could even use a fine sandpaper if you go light.

djg21
03-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes and Yes

Jestco makes a buffing compound that'll polish the piss outta anything.

jestcoproducts.com

Rolite makes one too.

kestrel
03-02-2007, 07:59 PM
There's also a product called Noxon7 carried at most hardware stores, and Autozone. $4.50 for a lifetime supply. A small dab or two on a rag will polish most metals.

Larry
03-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Scotchbrite Pads.
It really worked well on my Serotta ti post.
Get 'em at the grocery store.