PDA

View Full Version : Richey Breakaway Bike Information Needed

trophyoftexas
03-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Riding friend whole travels a LOT is researching frames to take on his many business trips. The only one that I know anything about is the S&S system when used on Serotta's....he sent me the video of Richey's bike and I promised I'd put this thread out there for the valued opinions of forumites. Anyone out there have one or familiar with the Richey product? Thanks in advance!

old_school
03-02-2007, 09:14 AM
I have have the Break-away system on a fixed gear. The seat cluster is ingenious (basically, two allen bolts and the seatpost holds everything in place). I am not so crazy about the connection on the down tube near the bottom bracket shell. It works ... I just wonder how it might hold up over the long term. But, again, folks have logged some major miles on the frame without incident. So, I may be wrong on that account. Break-down and assembly is rather quick and painless and the entire bike folds into a package the size of a double wheel box, which is very cool. If you have not done so, you may wish to check out their blog (http://breakawaytoday.blogspot.com/).

Tom is now licensing the couplings to independent frame builders, so that is another option. I would love to see a bike with a break-away coupling at the seat tube and an S&S on the downtube.

Orin
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Riding friend whole travels a LOT is researching frames to take on his many business trips. The only one that I know anything about is the S&S system when used on Serotta's....he sent me the video of Richey's bike and I promised I'd put this thread out there for the valued opinions of forumites. Anyone out there have one or familiar with the Richey product? Thanks in advance!

I bought one from a racer who's only reason for selling was that he had got the Ti version...

It works as advertised. The only problem I had was a wheel going out of true badly on the first trip I made, probably due to using their soft sided case. Not a problem with the breakaway system. Using an S&S case would be a good idea.

Orin.

billrick
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
The seat cluster paint will get chipped up with use and you have to be careful tightening the down tube clamp, but other than that it is a great system. Personally, I prefer the S&S couplings for simplicity, strength, and cool machining. But all travel bikes get an A++ from me.

:)

erikbrooks
03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Dahon also sells a break-away bike. It's appears more touring-oriented than the Richey. Also, it's a VERY well done web-site, atmo.

http://www.dahon.com/us/tournado.htm

beungood
03-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I was looking into them if I went on active duty. Ive talked with a few people who had them and they all seemed to have liked the bike. with regards to the paint chips, just get a Ti frame!

billrick
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I have have the Break-away system on a fixed gear.

Is this the one? SWEET!!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/408472927_d0bcc099b7.jpg?v=0

:)

old_school
03-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Is this the one? SWEET!!!

Yup!

billrick
03-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Congrats, that is awesome!

Have you used a travel bike system before, like S&S or Ritchey? It is interesting that with experience, many folks end up going fixed or SS with their travel bikes. The simplicity is just the best - no cables to hassle with. I have an S&S mountain bike and was thinking of hacking my road bike. But now I'm seriously thinking about doing a fixed gear travel bike instead. Obviously, I'm really digging your set up!

:beer:

old_school
03-03-2007, 01:05 PM
This was my first travel bike. I have wanted one for some time and always thought that, with no cables to disconnect, a 1x1 would make the ultimate set up. Not to mention, that fixed gear riding is the most mindless/zen-like form of 2 wheel transportation, and is perfect for vacationing. I have known the builder for years and we had been talking about a build for awhile. When the Ritchey set up came available, he asked me if I wanted to give it a whirl ... the rest is history. Here (http://www.iglebike.com/track.html) are a few more pics for your viewing pleasure.

Smiley
03-03-2007, 01:14 PM
My only concern with the Ritchey bike is the geometry and not the mechanics of the system. I do own a Uniscasi with a hard case and that should work well when I travel with the bike.