PDA

View Full Version : First Masters Race

Geoff
03-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Well Sunday I will be riding in my first masters race (Albany, Georgia). What should I expect to be different than a 4 or 5 race besides lenght? Any insight welcome.

Geoff

Elmer
03-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Around my way, Masters are well seasoned Cat 1-4 racers. As a past Cat 3 racer (long time ago) and now a Masters racer, I can tell you the riding is much safer, yet much faster. I can hold my own in the criteriums but my arse gets handed to me in the road races when these guys put the hammer down on the hills. Good luck and have fun - I know I do.

J.Greene
03-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Way Faster.....

The top masters here usually race the pro 1-2 race also.

JG

JStonebarger
03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
What type of race? What's the course like? Do you expect strong teams on the line? Will you ride with a team?

chuckred
03-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Well Sunday I will be riding in my first masters race (Albany, Georgia). What should I expect to be different than a 4 or 5 race besides lenght? Any insight welcome.

Geoff

One of my more embarassing moments -

Was just starting to ride seriously again a few years ago. I naively thought that a "Masters" race was for old guys... but I neglected to realize it was for only moderately aged pros and 1's and 2's...

After the first turn I was so far off the back, it wasn't even funny! I didn't realize that it would take off at 30mph in the first quarter of a mile!

So, back to the drawing board...

Not sure if I deserve credit for trying or derision for being an idiot! My wife loves the latter!

coylifut
03-01-2007, 01:13 PM
expect to not get your front wheel taken out by some 20 yr old filling holes that aren't there 50 miles from the line. Oh, and there will be lots of deep carbon wheels to ogle at, but the winner will be on a 7 year old Connondale that needed new bar tape two season ago.

avalonracing
03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
expect to not get your front wheel taken out by some 20 yr old filling holes that aren't there 50 miles from the line. Oh, and there will be lots of deep carbon wheels to ogle at, but the winner will be on a 7 year old Connondale that needed new bar tape two season ago.

Either that guy or the 39 year-old who came in third place in the 1-2 race eariler in the day.

chuckred
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Either that guy or the 39 year-old who came in third place in the 1-2 race eariler in the day.

Probably the same guy?

swoop
03-01-2007, 02:28 PM
just know what you're doing and folks will respect you. don't sprint for 15th place.. sit up and roll through out of respect for the guys around you. don't mass to the front and then slow down.

know how to ride a break and paceline. know how to take a line if you are on front. ride like you've been racing for ten years. race hard, race fair, race clean....

and know that there are some real tough guys out there. keep your front wheel clean, and don't do stupid sh*t. have fun with it.

atmo.

Geoff
03-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks,

A little more info. This race is different in that all the catagories start in 5 or 10 minute intervals. So everyone is on the course at once. It will be interesting to see what masters will be in the masters group and which will be in the 1-2s. It is a 60 mile road race so I think the distance should be ok. I started racing again last year after a 15 yr break. I had some fun so decided to move up. I generally can hang with the fast group in town and take my turn at a few short pulls. So we will see if I can maintain the race speed for that long. Looking forward to it.

G

myette10
03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
just know what you're doing and folks will respect you. don't sprint for 15th place.. sit up and roll through out of respect for the guys around you. don't mass to the front and then slow down.

know how to ride a break and paceline. know how to take a line if you are on front. ride like you've been racing for ten years. race hard, race fair, race clean....

and know that there are some real tough guys out there. keep your front wheel clean, and don't do stupid sh*t. have fun with it.

atmo.
all this, and get ready to work!

regularguy412
03-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Ahh,, a 60 mile road race for Masters debut. Your body will not like you , after this one. Hardest Masters race I ever did ( and I had not been off for 15 yrs) was a 55 mile road race at Land Between the Lakes , KY a few years ago. It was an 11 mile circuit and we made 5 laps. Ambient temp. was about 98 degrees , sunny and high humidity. All the categories were represented in that 35+ field, Cat 1 thru Cat 5. I hung in well the first 4 laps. When the final hammer went down climibing the 'big' hill on lap 5,, I ( and a buncha others) blew. I can confidently say there is no uglier feeling than trying to heave up what's not there. I can also say, however, that it was the most competitive that I ever felt in a road race.

Good luck ! :beer:

Mike in AR

stevep
03-01-2007, 04:55 PM
have fun.
itll be way way faster and cleaner than what you have done.
relax and get used to it. a few races and your speed will be a lot different than in a 4/5 race.
sit in there and keep yr hands loose and arms relaxed. wont kill you probably.

Too Tall
03-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Ditto what Coy and SteveP said. Ride clean and make nice :) WHEN your field catchs the next group...notice I didn't say if...heads up and watch the moto for the signal to ride clean around them...don't ride thru them.

stevep
03-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Ditto what Coy and SteveP said. Ride clean and make nice :) WHEN your field catchs the next group...notice I didn't say if...heads up and watch the moto for the signal to ride clean around them...don't ride thru them.

watch the pass... as tt notes. the spring race that we run used to have a 4/5 race and a 35+ race on the course at the same time.
the 35 guys would go by the 4/5s so fast that they would not/ could not believe it.
the break streams by probably 7mph faster and the field 30 seconds later, whoosh. see ya.
we finally had to not run the fields concurently because the vets would pass these guys 2 times on a 2.5 mile circuit and it just got too ugly.

regularguy412
03-01-2007, 06:04 PM
we finally had to not run the fields concurently because the vets would pass these guys 2 times on a 2.5 mile circuit and it just got too ugly.

I agree. That's why most of the promoters here in AR used to start the 4/5 group after the Vets. We also, usually, used larger circuits so only 2 laps were required and passing on the road became a non-issue.

Mike in AR

Geoff
03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
well now i am excited, no kid to come fome three riders in to cross teh yellow line 400m from the finish with no warning, now that is fun. I may get droped but it should be about 60 and sunny so sounds like a great day on the bike to me.

Swoop, by keep your wheel clean is that like wipe it down thoughout the race with my glove or be sure not to half wheel anyone?

Let ya no how it goes.

Geoff

bcm119
03-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Around here masters is usually 40+ and their race leaves either right before or right after cat 4. From what I've heard (I'm too young for masters) 40+ is smoother and maintains a steadier speed than the 4's, where there is often periods of farting around, but the 4's make up for it in surges... so they have similar average speeds.

Whats the point of 35+ masters? Why not just race your cat?

Geoff
03-01-2007, 07:03 PM

Well for me it is that we all have to go to workon Monday so less stupid stuff, at least thats the theory.

G

stevep
03-01-2007, 07:52 PM

masters are usually experienced racers. more attacks, breaks, tactical events...
cat 3,4,5 usually ride around medium, jump once in awhile and sprint at the end.
masters stuff more fun. they are like a smaller version of a 1/2 race.

manet
03-01-2007, 09:07 PM

field size. lotsa entries, don't wanna turn away money. guys get to
choose from several options, especially if you're a 3....

3/4 _ 3 _ 2/3 _ 1/2/3 _ masters

swoop
03-01-2007, 10:15 PM
well now i am excited, no kid to come fome three riders in to cross teh yellow line 400m from the finish with no warning, now that is fun. I may get droped but it should be about 60 and sunny so sounds like a great day on the bike to me.

Swoop, by keep your wheel clean is that like wipe it down thoughout the race with my glove or be sure not to half wheel anyone?

Let ya no how it goes.

Geoff

just a cute way to say stay vigilant about where you are putting your front wheel. watch overlap and have fun. don't be afraid to try and win.. or even risk losing by trying to win.

stuff like that.

chrisroph
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM

guy named holland.

way safer than 4-5, way faster and more tactical and way more fun.

bcm119
03-01-2007, 11:39 PM
field size. lotsa entries, don't wanna turn away money. guys get to
choose from several options, especially if you're a 3....

3/4 _ 3 _ 2/3 _ 1/2/3 _ masters
I guess I should have said, why 35+ instead of 40+? Just seems kinda young, esp. in this sport. 35 is the pinnacle for many.

Redturbo
03-02-2007, 06:21 AM
You may also find a lot of the p12 master racers doing the p12 races this time of year for the miles.

turbo

LegendRider
03-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I guess I should have said, why 35+ instead of 40+? Just seems kinda young, esp. in this sport. 35 is the pinnacle for many.

Some promoters put on 30+ masters events. So, you could have a 29 year old (racing age 30) cat 1 in the event!!!

Steelhead
03-02-2007, 06:36 AM

You know I was just thinking about this yesterday and remembering a guy on a charity century that was constantly reaching down and rubbing his glove on the front and rear tire....and i mean like every few minutes - it got really annoying and I rode off of him thinking it was too much and not very safe. Why do people do that?

Geoff
03-02-2007, 07:12 AM
just a cute way to say stay vigilant about where you are putting your front wheel. watch overlap and have fun. don't be afraid to try and win.. or even risk losing by trying to win.

stuff like that.

I know that was my poor attempt at being witty.

For the first time I plan on mostly siting in unless the pace is good for me. As for the sprint only if I think I can make it worth it. Ussually I will try to get away close to the line before the sprint just to make everyone react since my sprint is not so fast.