PDA

View Full Version : Paceline Mechanics - help with rear brake!

oldguy00
03-15-2021, 01:41 PM
Hey all, I'm trying to adjust a rear, under bottom braket direct mount brake for a friend. I cannot figure out how to get the arms both centered.

Pic attached of what I am working with.

In the pic, the arm on the right side (which is the non-drive side) has an allen bolt that I can adjust that moves that one arm in and out. But the left side does not. How can I get the left (drive side) arm to adjust outward a little bit??

Issue is that with the wheel properly centered, that left drive side pad is touching the rim.

Help!

Duvivr6
03-15-2021, 01:51 PM
Lower cable tension. Hopefully you have an adjustor in line to play with if not (which is cool i dont like them) then you have a lot more work to do to get it perfect.

oldguy00
03-15-2021, 01:53 PM
Lower cable tension. Hopefully you have an adjustor in line to play with if not (which is cool i dont like them) then you have a lot more work to do to get it perfect.

Thanks. Yeah she doesn't have one. So I guess I need to loosen cable a little bit so that the left arm moves out, then use allen bolt to make any adjustment to right arm. Here goes nothing....

BRad704
03-15-2021, 01:53 PM
There's a little screw head visible on the arm where the cable is clamped. Typically that small screw handles brake side to side adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hindmost
03-15-2021, 01:58 PM
Coming from my ignorance: The orientation of the clamped cable on the left arm end looks incorrect-- it should point more in line with the cable housing. Perhaps a little slack in the cable gets you what you need.

(The cable attachment point in the photo above doesn't match the PDF provided below.)

charliedid
03-15-2021, 02:32 PM
Looks like a Shimano right? There is some set up tool that can be used but you don't have to. Only one centering bolt I believe. See here and scroll down to find install if you have not already. I think cable attachment is basically correct. Those things are a PITA

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-BR0003-08-ENG.pdf

Mark McM
03-15-2021, 02:49 PM
Thanks. Yeah she doesn't have one. So I guess I need to loosen cable a little bit so that the left arm moves out, then use allen bolt to make any adjustment to right arm. Here goes nothing....

If she doesn't have a cable adjuster inline, then how does she open the caliper to remove/replace the wheel? This type of brake usually has a quick release/adjuster inline with the cable.

https://gd4.alicdn.com/imgextra/i4/1033355450/TB2HuGZm4SYBuNjSsphXXbGvVXa_!!1033355450.jpg

charliedid
03-15-2021, 02:56 PM
If she doesn't have a cable adjuster inline, then how does she open the caliper to remove/replace the wheel? This type of brake usually has a quick release/adjuster inline with the cable.

https://gd4.alicdn.com/imgextra/i4/1033355450/TB2HuGZm4SYBuNjSsphXXbGvVXa_!!1033355450.jpg

Are we certain it doesn't? They always come with it.

Duvivr6
03-15-2021, 02:59 PM
Mark Very good question but I am glad that horrible monster is not on this or any bike!

BRad704
03-15-2021, 03:02 PM
I have a new favorite foreign word... kabeleinstellungsgritzel

oldguy00
03-16-2021, 05:09 AM
Hey all, no, her bike doesn't seem to have one of those. Its a Felt IA tri bike.
She's going to be taking it to her shop for some other stuff, will get them to double check it. I got it working OK not perfect. Front brake is a pain in the ass too as its a 48cm frame and thus almost no room for cable housing bend from bars to the cheapo Vision brake caliper......frustrating.

charliedid
03-16-2021, 07:03 AM
Hey all, no, her bike doesn't seem to have one of those. Its a Felt IA tri bike.
She's going to be taking it to her shop for some other stuff, will get them to double check it. I got it working OK not perfect. Front brake is a pain in the ass too as its a 48cm frame and thus almost no room for cable housing bend from bars to the cheapo Vision brake caliper......frustrating.

Yeah sorry, Mark seems to have been right. I knew that was a Felt as it's the one I was unfortunately tasked with trying to fix.