PDA

View Full Version : cycling computers

Lanny R. Levenson
05-26-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm looking at replacing an old Cateye Astrale with a new computer. Over time the cables stretch in the mounting kits and the information goes out. I would like a new computer with cadence and altimeter (a wish but not necessary). Are people happy with the wireless computers and are there any reliable wireless computers having the above functions that work well? Would there be any problem with wireless computers if I were using a HR monitor?

Lanny

PBWrench
05-26-2004, 01:04 PM
There are many wireless options to choose from -- all work reasonably well. The best one I've used with altimeter is Specialized ProZone. Works well, but the screen sequence is a bit cumbersome. Many other good wireless options w/o altimeter. The new Mavic WinTech is great, but kind of huge. The Vetta 100 series (the HR model has an integrated heart rate function) is well thought out but kind of finnicky. The new Cat Eye model will be out shortly, runs all functions from a rear sensor and has two models, either with a HR function or cadence. Good luck!

davep
05-26-2004, 02:32 PM
I have just been looking for the same type of computer. After much searching I have found very few computers that have everything I want; that is, in addition to normal bike computer functions, altimeter and wireless cadence. The only ones I have found are the Polar 720i (too expensive, although having an integrated HRM too is appealing) and the Vetta 100A. I'm not sure about the Specialized as their web site does not give very detailed info. Many computers that have wireless speed have wired cadence. I have recently purchased the Vetta for a bike I am building up, but have not yet installed it. I have also heard it can be finicky. I'll find out soon. If I hadn't wanted wireles cadence I probably would have purchased the Ciclosport.

bcm119
05-26-2004, 02:56 PM
FWIW, I bought a wireless Vetta rt88 (no cadence or altimeter) a month ago after my trusty avocet 25 died, and I don't think I can recommend it. I was suckered into buying one because my LBS only had wireless models, and I didn't have the heart to leave empty handed and order a cheap wired computer from Excel, but I should have. I think the boxy transmitter is far uglier than a nicely wrapped wire up your fork. Also, it occasionally starts showing bogus speeds for no particular reason while I'm riding at a constant speed. It seems like its encountering radio interference or something.

Cranky
05-26-2004, 03:14 PM
I have a CicloMaster 434 wireless on 2 of my bikes. I think you can get a cadence sensor for it, but I am not positive. The computer is very simple to use and has altitude, % grade, temperature and all the normal stats. Only drawback is that the computer sits on a pod that houses another battery which makes the over all height about 1.5" or more. The pod is designed to allow the computer to be slipped out and used on another bike with another pod if you have 2 bikes. Cheapest place to get one is Jenson in So.Cal. on their website.
Other idea would be a Polar 720HR monitor with speed and cadence sensors. That has all the bells and whistles including altitude (but no % grade) and you can download your workouts to your PC.

Addendum to Ciclo 434: No cadence available. Sorry.

dohearne
05-26-2004, 03:40 PM
I have a Vetta 100 on my new Legend and have been pleased. Installation was easy. Negative observations: the temp function is easily influenced by radiation from full sun giving false high temps; the auto-stop function takes 20-30 sec to restart after a long stop. One question remaining is how long the batteries in the wheel and cadence transmitters will last - something you don't need to worry with wires.

lewislw1
05-26-2004, 06:19 PM
I tried the Ciclomaster with gradient -- had to take two back because the altimeter was malfunctioning. I found them cumbersome to use, but maybe I just wasn't used to them. The biggest pet peeve, is that my average speeds were slower than on other computers - something to do with the algorithm when the bike slows sdown to a stop - computer keeps runing for longer than other computers. A friend who has one recently complained about the same thing. While all that really matters is that it is consistent, I did not like having my average apparently dip by at least 0.5 mph on every ride. I replaced it with a Specialized ProZone, with altimeter and gradient, which is simple to operate and is accurate and reliable. The Ciclomaster now resides on my mtn bike, which I do not ride very much.

dirtdigger88
05-26-2004, 07:32 PM
I have always heard good things about the specialized units, my riding partner has one and seems to like it. I know I will get slammed for this one, but I am a fan of the Flight Deck units. I know if you are using Campy that does you no good, and I know nothing about Ergo. I just like how clean the Flight Deck unit is. I want cadence and wireless. I think wired units just add too muck clutter. I don't like the new Mavic units because the skewer just is too big and the head unit has to mount on the stem.

What I am really saying is I like my Flight Deck

Jason

weisan
05-26-2004, 08:03 PM
This computer has both built-in altimeter and an available cadence add-on kit.

Cheapest I have found is at
xxcycle.com (http://www.xxcycle.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?Screen=detail&REF=1390&FROM=froogle)
for about $103.

I had one, and I like it.

larryp2
05-26-2004, 09:49 PM
have two Vetta 100s, no problems at all.....

Dekonick
05-27-2004, 01:23 PM
I use the polar S510 - good for running and cycling. The only problem I have found is that the batteries in the speed sensor and cadence sensor can be low/ near dead when you first buy them - and you are supposed to send them to polar for battery replacement (you can do it yourself)

When the battery is low you get wild numbers, and sometimes complete loss of signal. When it works, its nice (but big)

Sensors are approx $40, you need 2 per bike. (one speed, one cadence)

You can easily download the data to coaching software too.

Allows you to have 2 bikes programmed to seperate data too.

:D

Ken Robb
05-27-2004, 01:42 PM
I've had 3 wireless and 6 wired computers. One new Cateye (latest wireless) was so erratic I gave up and swapped for Enduro 8. A Vetta wireless only lasted about 4 years. I also have a couple of Enduro 2s. They are great. My Flite Deck is perfect and has cadence.. I have a dandy Vetta wireless too. BUT: I don't think wireless is generally worthwhile for me. The sender batteries die fairly frequently and are a bit costly and the sending unit/sensor is big and ugly.

djg
05-27-2004, 01:47 PM
It's not that I never get a glitchy reading, it's just that anomolies are occasional and fleeting--by and large it gives me steady and seemingly accurate readings. I should say that although it has numerous functions, it doesn't have all that you're asking for.

Serotta PETE
05-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Some of the Cateye wireless computers have erratic readings! It seems that Cat Eye had some "less than perfect" fork pickups. If you contact their service department they will send you a new fork pickup. Since getting mine,it works fine. Pete

Ozz
05-27-2004, 02:33 PM
I have had my ciclo 434 for about a year now and it is a pretty reliable and durable unit. As stated previously, only downside is aesthetics, as it sits about a 1.5" thick.

In contrast to previous posting, I have not seen my average speeds decrease, but actually increase. It could be due to my new bike? Better conditioning? Defying the aging process? :banana:

Most likely, incorrectly calibrated wheel measurement... :(

I believe it does have a cadence option. I had an old computer with this, and used it quite a bit on a stationary trainer, but never on the road. You be pretty good at "feeling" your cadence after awhile an don't need it.

I have a Polar S510 also, but don't use the bike functions anymore....it seemed pretty reliable and accurate when I used it on my old bike. Limited number of measurements, but all the usual ones. I wanted the altitude ones which is why I got the ciclo for my new bike.