PDA

View Full Version : National Bureau of Economic Research Paper on Cycling

RDP
02-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Cycling: An Increasingly Untouched Source of Physical and Mental Health by Inas Rashad, available at http://papers.nber.org/papers/W12929

Abstract: Cost savings associated with increased gasoline prices and lower levels of urban sprawl have been cited in terms of personal savings, environmental awareness, reduced costs through lower travel times and congestion, and reduced income inequality. Cost savings in terms of improved health, however, are often not cited yet represent another dimension of savings associated with reduced urban sprawl and gas prices. Cycling is a form of exercise that can also be used as a mode of transportation if the surrounding environment facilitates such use. According to the United States Department of Transportation, 73 percent of adults want new bicycle facilities such as bike lanes, trails, and traffic signals. Using data from the 1990, 1995, and 2001 waves of the Nationwide Personal Transportation Survey, in addition to data from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (1996-2000), I propose to analyze the effects of variations in the built environment in the form of urban sprawl and in real gasoline prices on cycling as a form of physical activity. Using bivariate probit and propensity score methods, I show how cycling can lead to improved physical health outcomes. This is turn may carry policy implications in terms of improved public awareness and city planning.

MarleyMon
03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Bike commuters need to get the message to automobilers and employers that we lower demand for fuel and parking, as well as health care (maybe, I hope). Indianapolis has a nice urban rail-trail (the Monon) and is taking steps for a downtown bike / ped. trail. I definitely feel the economic savings, especially as gas prices move up in the summer. Maybe cycling should be made into a symbol of patriotism, freeing us from dependance on foreign oil. And it feels good!

NicaDog
03-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm sitting here in Brussels. It's wonderful to see how many people cycle as their primary mode of transporation! And it rains all the time here. People are just much more bike friendly. And most of the bikes are just all around townies - a wonderful mode of transporation.

The city has a number of bike kiosks. You put your credit card in, and you can ride off with a great commuter. All in great shape, well maintained with working lights, fenders, baskets and locks to use while you are out and about.

Drop it back and any of the Kiosks. Around lunch today there were only 2 bikes that the local Kiosk. In the evening it was full with about 12 bikes in their very cool lock/stands. People really use them, and you see them being ridden all about the city. I'm sure that other cities over here have very similar set ups.

Some day - maybe when gas is 5 dollar a gallon and people really understand they can, and must, personally do something to help address global warming, this will come to the US.

Ride as a way of life - it will make you much happier!