PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A good ride!

saab2000
02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I did the Hayne's Point training ride this noon in Washington DC and had a great workout! Second ride in a month on the road and didn't get dropped even when it got a bit brisk!

Getting in a good ride has been a real rarity, but this reminded me of why I ride. :banana:

Rode the Merckx. Saw a Pegoretti, a bunch of Cannondales, a handful of Treks, a number of Cervelos and not a single Serotta. The dude on the Peg also rode tubies. Some guys had shorts. A bit brisk for shorts when it is only about 50F. And some guy had a World Championship jersey. Hmmmm....... :cool:

flydhest
02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Saab,
I had a meeting through lunch today, otherwise I was going to go out for the first time this calendar year. You going to be a regular, barring rain? I'll be on a black Serotta CSi.

saab2000
02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Fly,

I hope to be a semi-regular. Depends on a number of things, not the least of which is whether or not I would move back to Switzerland.

I will be on the Look KG 381i, Eddy Merckx Majestic or the Serotta CIII.

I'll be looking for the Serottas when I am out there.

Too Tall
02-28-2007, 01:49 PM
DOH!!! Gorgeous day, you got the best part of it. Looking forward to riding with youz tommorrow. Coffee is free, your $$ is no good this time. Welcome back :)

Kevan
02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Damn your summer's arrived already!

BigDaddySmooth
02-28-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm stationed at Andrews. Where is HP in relation to Andrews?
Thanks,
Cheers
BDS

djg
02-28-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm stationed at Andrews. Where is HP in relation to Andrews?
Thanks,
Cheers
BDS

Right up in DC, not too far from you. It's just south of the Jefferson Memorial (basically, just across the Potomac from National Airport).

djg
02-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey Saab, welcome. Was the guy on the peg Bill? (squadra coppi kit prolly, blue and white peg).

I was out there at about 2 o'clock (no power in our building today, but I still didn't manage to leave until then).

Too Tall
02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
BigDaddy - the ride leave at 12:05 sharp don't be late. It's fast, sprints every lap.

DJG - There's a new Peg in town...everybody's talkin'. Eric is a happy boy.

saab2000
02-28-2007, 06:45 PM
It's almost a kind of training race and at times does get fast - today we hit about 30 mph a few times. Single file. Kinda like Ghent-Wevelgem. 'Cept maybe about 10 miles per hour less when it was strung out! :D But it also lets up each lap and that's what makes it a good workout.

I did this about 5 years ago when I visited my bro here when I was on vacation from Switzerland. It was a great ride then and is a great ride now.

I expect to be a regular on this as I NEED to get back in shape.

jmewkill
02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
mostly mind, or mostly body.

The job news would be a big factor for me.

onekgguy
02-28-2007, 11:23 PM
i came home from work this afternoon totally beat...i mean, ready for a nap on the couch...but, there's a couple days of snow moving in and we're going to be dumped on big time...so, i pumped up my tires and headed out. it's odd that sometimes when i'm most tired i seem to have my most fun rides...why is that? anyway, i headed out into a strong east wind gusting to 25 and hit my turn-around point 15 miles out. it was slow going to get there but i had an exhilarating ride on the way home. just like you saab i recall telling myself that this is why i ride.

Kevin g

saab2000
03-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Kevin,

Did you go towards Northfield or north towards St. Paul? I like riding on Hwy 3 there all the way from St. Paul to Northfield. Rolling hills, wide paved shoulder, etc. Not a bad road at all!

BTW, I was there for the last snow last weekend! I heard there is more on the way. Just in time for the MN State Hockey Tourney, huh?

onekgguy
03-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Saab...i jumped on 160th st and headed east toward Coates. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/kml/episode.kml%3FepisodePkValues%3D2153052&ie=UTF8&z=11&om=1) nice shoulder. yeah, hwy 3 from northfield to stp is a great ride...no doubt we've crossed paths a time or two.

the snow is piling up out there as i type...just a couple inches last night but a bunch more on the way. i'm off today and tomorrow so i get to simply enjoy this one with the exception of having to shovel the driveway at some point.

any idea what's in store for you with respect to relocating?

Kevin g

flydhest
03-02-2007, 09:17 AM
saab,
Pretty high probability in my being out there today. Blue long sleeved wool jersey, black CSi

zap
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm looking forward to riding down there starting next week.

Zip and I did this midweek ride for the first time last October. We were going down rock creek to do our standard 40 mile loop and I decided to extend the ride a bit. We did a few laps to get a feel for this group ride and then headed home via downtown Bethesda.

93legendti
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
...it's odd that sometimes when i'm most tired i seem to have my most fun rides...why is that?...
Me too. My best group rides have been where it was a toss-up between a nap and a fast group ride. Why, why why??

djg
03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
saab,
Pretty high probability in my being out there today. Blue long sleeved wool jersey, black CSi

Whereas, for the nicest darn "lunch hour" in quite some time, I'm at my desk, "negotiating language." I do have the blue long sleeved shirt, however.

Too Tall
03-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Finally a ride with Saab2K :) Yesterday I cut out of work early and met YoungSaab in Georgetown for a jaunty 50ish mile ride....sweeeeeet!!!!
We found a few hills ;)

flydhest
03-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I did the ride at lunch . . . errrr, can you say wind. Can you say echelon. Can you say lots of guys out of practice on echelons (present company included). Nevertheless, it was fun. The best part of the wind was seeing myself putting out 475 watts at 12.5 mph on a perfectly flat road.

saab2000
03-02-2007, 09:03 PM
OK, Kids, here's the scoop. I rode with the ever-excellent and gracious Too Tall on Thursday and we did find some hills. Loved every minute of it!! Almost got bitten by a dalmation, but cheated death and lived to fight another day.

I am out flying airplanes now (done for the day in Raliegh-Durham, NC) but will be back to DC on Sunday at about 11 AM. I am available for rides of up to 60 or so miles on Sunday afternoon if anyone is interested. Nothing too hard as I am still trying to build base miles and work back into it.

We rode 58 miles total yesterday and to be truthful, my knee on the left side was complaining as I got closer to home. Glad to have a couple days to let the connective tissues get back in shape. I ain't 20 anymore...... :crap:

Anyway, anyone want to ride about 1 or 2 PM on Sunday, let me know. I get into DCA at 11:00 AM and would go home, get changed and be able to meet by about 1 PM or so.

Drop me a PM or something!