PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Training

kgrooney
02-28-2007, 10:40 AM
I am in a situation due to long days at work and two very young children at home where weekly rides are just about impossible. I'm in early in the morning so a workout beforehand I really can't consider either.

Does anyone either lift weights or run at lunch and ride only on the weekend and feel they are maintaining some fitness?

I'm 45 and don't race.

fiamme red
02-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Is it possible to commute by bike?

stevep
02-28-2007, 10:58 AM
one night on the trainer ( wed ) would probably help out in general.
but sometimes life interferes.

Shredder
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
I have pretty similar time constraints and I stay in biking shape w/trainer rides and lunch-time spin classes. Both are very time efficient workouts.

Ozz
02-28-2007, 11:15 AM
I am in a situation due to long days at work and two very young children at home where weekly rides are just about impossible. I'm in early in the morning so a workout beforehand I really can't consider either.

Does anyone either lift weights or run at lunch and ride only on the weekend and feel they are maintaining some fitness?

I'm 45 and don't race.
I think we are the same guy...long days at work and two kids (two and five, boys). I'll be 44 in June.

I can usually get a "spinning" workout in at the gym on Monday and Wednesday's, and one "long" (30 miles) ride in on the weekend. I am lucky that my gym is right across the street from where I work, so I can head there at lunch.

My wife and I carpool most day, so commuting by bike isn't much of an option anymore ( :crap: ). She needs a new job.... ;)

I just bought a new Kurt Kinetic stationary trainer, and it is light years better than the 15 year old Performance trainer it replaced. I can sometimes squeeze in 30 to 45 minutes in in the morning or evening on my non-spinning days, or when the weather or schedule doesn't allow for an outdoor ride.

flydhest
02-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I often get in lunch time rides. If you have a buddy it's even better, but a structured workout, especially if there are hills nearby, means that you can do something meaningful in a relatively short period of time.

I have the luxury of a full locker-room at work, so I'm spoiled. YMMV.

coylifut
02-28-2007, 11:38 AM

I'm 45 and don't race.

I think a lot of us here who ride 6 days a week 10k+ miles a year are fooling our selves into thinking it's entirely a healthy lifestyle. Your constraints may infact keep you out of that trap (which btw, I'm in feet first). If your goals are to stay fit and healthy and really enjoy riding your bike for the pleasure of feeling the wind over your dome, I'd opt for something like this.

Monday - 1/2 hour of rollers upon waking (or alternatively right before dinner) and circuit train with weights for 45 minutes at lunch
Tuesday - row an erg at the club for 1/2 hour followed by 1/2 hour of core work. If you prefer to be outside and like running, substitute it for either.
Wednesday - Repeat Monday
Thursday - Repeat Tuesday
Friday - Repeat Monday
Saturday - Long ride (the earlier the better, kids and wives don't miss you while they are sleeping).
Sunday - Complete day off doing what ever the spouse and kids have planned. If they allow it, sneaking out for a couple of hours either early (or in my case when my wife takes her Sunday knap) works. If you do indeed get to ride both days, take one of the week days off for rest. It doesn't matter which one. Whe the time changes, maybe you can get out a couple of evenings for an hour or so.

The nice thing about being adapted to different activities is if you get snowed in you can do more cross training and less cycling while everyone else is bummed about the weather.

Climb01742
02-28-2007, 11:48 AM
one way to maximize benefits of limited training time is doing intervals. multi-hour rides are nice but a great interval workout can take as little as 60-70 minutes.

weatherman
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
one way to maximize benefits of limited training time is doing intervals. multi-hour rides are nice but a great interval workout can take as little as 60-70 minutes.

One hour and 15 minutes, but a tough workout done inside on the trainer. Its brutally boring, but effective (I think).

93legendti
02-28-2007, 02:16 PM

I'm 45 and don't race.

http://members.aol.com/neingraham/Fitness.html#Cycling%20for%20Life

Scroll down to: "The Conconi Method of Cycling for Life"

J.Greene
02-28-2007, 02:51 PM

I'm 45 and don't race.

One of my favorite riding buddies only does what your asking about and he is in very good shape for a recreational rider. He has no problem riding a century at 18-20mph. I think that's a very helthy level of fitness.

JG

manet
02-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I think a lot of us here who ride 6 days a week 10k+ miles a year are fooling our selves into thinking it's entirely a healthy lifestyle.

he said

J.Greene
02-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah.....My uncle tells me the human heart has a set # of beats in it before it quits, and I am determined to get to that point quickly. I hope he's not right :rolleyes:

JG

I think a lot of us here who ride 6 days a week 10k+ miles a year are fooling our selves into thinking it's entirely a healthy lifestyle.

he said

Peter P.
02-28-2007, 08:35 PM
The simple solution is to get a trainer/rollers and get in a session at least a couple times during the week. Even 30 minute sessions will do wonders.

dauwhe
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Friends don't let friends ride indoors!

:)

AgilisMerlin
02-28-2007, 08:56 PM
The simple solution is to get a trainer/rollers and get in a session at least a couple times during the week. Even 30 minute sessions will do wonders.

i am the KING of thirty minute roller sessions.........fueled by black gooey coffee, then wake the kids.

i am also able to ride double that at/before work, with weather permitting. I love the South.

want/need/addicted to :no:

i have been known to watch kids movies, while in the background spinning in the hallway on my rollers. I don't watch adult tv, except for Animal Planet and History Channel.

Managing time is not unlike holding water in your overturned hand. jmso

amErlin

Bobbo
03-01-2007, 12:16 AM
My winter routine: (2 boys, 3 and 10 mos.)

Kids go down by 8:00 PM, I head down to the basement for an hour of intervals (M,T,Th). Wed I lift weights, Fri is an easy spin (but I usually blow that off). Sat is a 2-3 hr. fixed/s.speed group ride. The rest of the weekend, my a55 is my wife's and kid's - whatever they want to do.

So far, it's worked out OK. Wife and kids are happy, I'm not getting much endurance (tough to do in the winter anyway), and I'm maintaining some reasonable fitness.