PDA

View Full Version : Simoni

JohnS
05-26-2004, 07:06 AM
It must really eat at him that he's not the team leader of Saeco anymore. Where did this Damiano Cunego come from? Is this the changing of the guard, what with all these young riders winning races?

Roy E. Munson
05-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Cunego is a former world junior champion, Popovych was an Under 23 world champion - where's the surprise?

JohnS
05-26-2004, 07:19 AM
I know there are exceptions, but it seems like it usually takes young riders a few years to get their "legs" after joining the big boys.

Onno
05-26-2004, 07:49 AM
How small is Cunego anyway? I almost laughed out loud yesterday, watching him climb on the podium, and still looking shorter than the flower girls next to him. Is he even 5 feet? Does he weigh even a hundred pounds?

He's a very impressive rider, though. He flew up the final mountain yesterday, and even more impressively, took more time out of his chasers on the descent and finish. He's definitely one to watch.

Onno

KKevin
05-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Wasnt there a guy from Germany that won the Tour De France at 23? He has been searching for that form since then as well. At least Simoni can be strong for the Tour and attack Armstrong like he did last year.

Russell
05-26-2004, 11:59 AM
How small is Cunego anyway? I almost laughed out loud yesterday, watching him climb on the podium, and still looking shorter than the flower girls next to him. Is he even 5 feet? Does he weigh even a hundred pounds?

He's a very impressive rider, though. He flew up the final mountain yesterday, and even more impressively, took more time out of his chasers on the descent and finish. He's definitely one to watch.

Onno

He is 5'6" and around 130. He is very impressive so far; let's see how he does on consecutive climbing days.

jeffg
05-26-2004, 12:51 PM
I have to admit I am enjoying watching the Saeco team dominate this race. It is hard to say whether Cunego is supplanting Simoni or whether Cunego just had an opportunity to go unmarked yesterday and everyone put the team first.

To go to the Ullrich parallel someone suggested, a few things:

1. This looks like two Saeco riders on form. Simoni dropped Cunego on the climb to Corno alle Scale and did a better TT despite a crash.

2. That certain German rider has struggled with form, but he has also had to deal with a certain Texan. Sans Lance we might be talking about 5 wins for Herr Schwarzwälderkirschtorte!

3. That Cunego (ditto Gibo) will never win TdF unless that TT gets a lot better. The Giro is much more of a pure climber's race than the Tour.

Can't wait for Friday/Saturday. Gavia, Mortirolo, etc. :banana: :banana:

Russ
05-26-2004, 01:42 PM
They are all riding Campy equipped bikes... ;)

I agree with jeffg's statements, but I also think that Simoni was doing the "good team mate" job. I think yesterday's stage showed a great example of team tactics in the mountains; it would had been counter productive to have Simoni follow Cunego when he jumped on the group with so many capable climbers on it. Remember, Mazzoleni and Tonti (Saeco) were also in a escape that formed earlier in the race and were told to wait for Cunego to join them.

If you guys read La Gazzetta dello Sport, they interviewed Saeco's team director, he said that he instructed Simoni not to follow Cunego until later... My guess is that Cunego was alreary too far by the time Simoni had the opportunity (or the energy) to join him.

Can't wait to see the Gavia Pass. I hope it snows as when Andy had to do it in 1988.