PDA

View Full Version : Sidi shoe rips repairable. comp cyclist info

AgilisMerlin
02-27-2007, 07:41 PM
All Sidi shoes are fully repairable and all small parts on them are fully replaceable. Even if you tear the fabric of your shoe, Sidi can repair it quickly and inexpensively. Once you find the right shoe and the right fit, it's not unheard of to keep a pair of Sidis for a decade's worth of riding. As wear and tear (and accidental damage) happen to your shoes, Sidi will be there to nurse your original shoes back to health.

snipped from CS

anyone heard of this ?

amerliN

coylifut
02-27-2007, 07:43 PM
i have "heard" that before, but i don't know anyone who's gone through the process. I need the straps replaced on both of mine, so I'm interested to know.

Jeff Weir
02-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Straps, buckles, pads are fairly easy to find. My LBS keeps a pretty good supply. I've never heard of anyone sending shoes back to Sidi for repair, but I would imagine a good cobbler could fix any tear...

Elefantino
02-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I had a pair of Genius 5's; the outer front of the right shoe tore. The LBS sent it back and Sidi repaired it. Of course, this was within the first 90 days, so I didn't pay. Don't know what happens later.

avalonracing
02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
I've ridden the hell out of Sidis on road and off. The hardware is an easy fix and the lorica wears great and just gets more comfortable with time. I replace them only when the sole breaks in to the point of starting to flex.

steelrider
02-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Now I can compare SIDI to Campagnolo in terms of longevity and sustainability. It is heartening to realize that such products are still made in the throw-away world in which we live. Take that evil ShimaNO and plastic frames.

Brendan Quirk
02-28-2007, 05:44 AM
FWIW, the US Sidi importer Veltec Imports (who recently moved from Monterey, CA to Carson City, NV -- a subject regarding regional economics probably worthy of its own thread) handles this directly with the shoe owner. There is no LBS/IBD involvement.

Veltec has a published price list of the types of repair and the associated costs. Their phone number is easily Googleable, and they can likely email or fax you this price list. They're great guys over there, and while the repair might take a bit of time, as I recall the prices were reasonable.

terrytnt
02-28-2007, 06:41 AM
This is just one more reason I'm going to seriously look at Sidi for my new shoes this season. That said above, makes even more economic sense to purchase Ergos or Genius 5's.

I hear from Guys Bicycle Shop in Philadelphia, that March is Sidi Month... apparently you can purchase any Sidi and use for 30+ days and return if you're not satisfied. Sidi is also providing a few give-aways during this promo period. Just not sure if this is a local LBS thing or more broadly promoted.

Anyway, I'm off to Sidi this weekend to try on a few styles/ sizes...

kestrel
02-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Straps, buckles, pads are fairly easy to find. My LBS keeps a pretty good supply. I've never heard of anyone sending shoes back to Sidi for repair, but I would imagine a good cobbler could fix any tear...

+1

I have always had success with a local cobbler, never found anything he couldn't fix with the added bonus of no mailings, and no protracted wait for service.

stevep
02-28-2007, 07:28 AM
sidi makes the best shoes ever.
they are light, allow for widths, last long time.
tried and true.
no one even complains about throwing cash down for sidi shoes.
worth every penny

pdonk
02-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Even after having a rotten expereince in terms of quality(cleat pulled through the sole) and customer service(CDn distributor told me to go f yourself) on the first pair of sidi's I bought (the first generation spd compatible mtb shoes) I have been a die hard sidi wearer since after trying nearly every semi affordable shoe. The new models wear like iron and are comfortable. What other mtb shoe can you get 3 seasons out of and still have life in them? I also have a pair of road shoes that except for the gimmicky stiffness adjusters breaking have been great.

Simon Q
02-28-2007, 04:32 PM
sidi makes the best shoes ever.
they are light, allow for widths, last long time.
tried and true.
no one even complains about throwing cash down for sidi shoes.
worth every penny

Yep. I went from Sidi to Rocket 7 and back to Sidi. I should never have left and never will again. It wasn't broken but I tried to fix it anyway with expensive and disappointing results. The cycling expert podiatrist that made inserts for me rates Sidi as the best shoe he works with.

Frog Hair
02-28-2007, 05:43 PM
FWIW, the US Sidi importer Veltec Imports (who recently moved from Monterey, CA to Carson City, NV -- a subject regarding regional economics probably worthy of its own thread) handles this directly with the shoe owner. There is no LBS/IBD involvement.

Veltec has a published price list of the types of repair and the associated costs. Their phone number is easily Googleable, and they can likely email or fax you this price list. They're great guys over there, and while the repair might take a bit of time, as I recall the prices were reasonable.

Despite that I am a custom user now (both R7 and D2 - yeah, I'm a shoe slut), I have some old Sidi's that I have enjoyed and thought, "hey maybe I'll get 'em fixed up to keep around for a while longer." They are a bit ravaged from wear and have had a couple of crashes. The leather is torn on the outside. I called Veltec today and the guy had no idea what this was about. I read to him from this thread and he said "We don't do shoe repair. Take them to a local shoe cobbler. If you send it to us, we'll just find a local cobbler and give them to him. Otherwise we can sell you a replacement buckle or part."

Thats the news.

Brendan Quirk
02-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Inquiring minds wanna know, so I dropped an email to my contact at Veltec. See, as I recall, I saw a specific price-list-per-procedure email sometime in, like 2002. So I asked, and I got an initial reply that stated that they indeed did repair, but "99% was warranty related -- replacing an eyelet or strap, etc, and comes at no cost to the customer." I'm sure I could sort through my Outlook from 2002 to produce the list to make myself feel non-delusional...

To me Veltec's reply is good news, and I don't know exactly what that means about the paragraph from our website quoted early on in this thread. It's a true statement still, methinks. But now I'm a believer that a local cobbler can get it done.