PDA

View Full Version : OT: MAC Laptop

Hysbrian
02-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I've got a quick question for Mac users. Is the only difference in the MacBook and the MacBook pro?

I seem to think that it is only monitor size, and graphics card.

gt6267a
02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
technical specs aside, have you seen them in person? the keyboards are very different.

Fred D
02-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Screen size and speed, plus cost.

sbornia
02-27-2007, 03:51 PM
the keyboards are very different.

if you do a lot of writing, the Pro's much nicer keyboard is worth it atmo.

CJH
02-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Pro's are more expandable, RAM, hard drive, peripherals etc... Do you need that? Most people don't!

rwsaunders
02-27-2007, 04:12 PM
The Pro is more geared to business users, in terms of processing power, storage capacity and screen size. Make sure that if you buy a MacBook, that your version can run Windows too (Intel processor vs. Motorola). The prior version could not, which can be a pain.

If you're just surfing the web and emailing, the entry level MacBook should suffice. If there is a Mac store in your town, the folks at the Genius Bar can be quite helpful.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=A4791B5D&nclm=MacBook

BoulderGeek
02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
As noted above, the best thing to do would be to go to an Apple store or BestBuy/CompUSA that has them and feel the difference for yourself.

The MacBook is more portable, but will scratch a bit more easily. It has no expansion slot(where the pro model does), which could be helpful for things like CDMA/GSM cellular network cards. If you won't be using more than 802.11b/g WiFi networking and Gigabit Ethernet, the MacBook might be OK for you.

These new models are a bear to do hardware upgrades in, so be careful about how you spec your system. It's much easier to get it built with the memory and disk that you want up front. I take apart my G4 TiBook and Mini, but I'd be concerned about opening one of the new ones, based on what I have heard.

I'm still using a 550MHz TiBook, and it runs 10.4.8 great in 512MB. I only use a laptop for travel, and have about five computers around the house. When I travel, and want to get unfettered e-mail without viruses, the Mac gets the duty.

I was noodling with the 1.83GHz Core2 Duo MacBooks the other day, and they are really fast. I sort of prefer the smaller 13" screen to the 15.4". When my trusty five year old TiBook gives out on me, I'll get the new octo-core MacBook.

When I bought my TiBook, the iBook was a G3 wheezer; plus I wanted a PCMCIA slot and the faster dedicated graphics, hence the need for the pro model. Today's consumer MacBook would be fine for me. For workstation-level processing, I have big boxen. For mobility, I say go weight weenie and run the smallest machine you can be comfortable with. Also, one that wouldn't kill you to replace if it gets broken or stolen is also a benefit. Laptops just don't have much durability out in the world.

Hysbrian
02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
et. all:

Both seem to have the same Intel Core 2 Duo with either a 2.0GHz or 2+ and at least 1GB, and at least 100BG HD.

It's main use will be beyond general web surfing, lots of Adobe photo shop, Illustrator.

The only reason I ask is that I'm trying to get a smaller sized laptop, as I plan on hooking it up to a large display, and see no need to have a 15inch or larger laptop display.

BoulderGeek
02-27-2007, 05:10 PM
In that case, you'll want to go with the Mac Book Pro.

Another item that we've failed to mention is graphics output. The MacBooks (just as the iBooks) can't run an external monitor at greater than their native 1280x800 or so resolution. Even if you have a 24" LCD, you'll only get the native res of the Mac Book.

However, the Pro can run an external monitor up to the limits of its GPU. So, you could run an external monitor at 2048x1600 for example.

Apple has craftily left out some of the more flexible utilities from the hardware of the consumer models. If you want a desktop workstation replacement, and not just a road warrior internet access station, you'll probably want to bump up to the Pro.

And, if you can wait until after WWDC in June, you'll get Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) for free. If you buy any new machine now, you'll have to pay for a Leopard upgrade after it is released in June.

Helpful advice: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Hysbrian
02-27-2007, 05:30 PM
In that case, you'll want to go with the Mac Book Pro.

Another item that we've failed to mention is graphics output. The MacBooks (just as the iBooks) can't run an external monitor at greater than their native 1280x800 or so resolution. Even if you have a 24" LCD, you'll only get the native res of the Mac Book.

Thanks BoulderGeek,
Thank was the info I more or less needed to be sold on the Pro. I'll have to see if I can build something to get me till June, my current computer is a mandatory lease from my university so it disappears in late April.

Grant McLean
02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
I'll have to see if I can build something to get me till June, my current computer is a mandatory lease from my university so it disappears in late April.

OSX leopard is coming soon. Should be right on time for you in april or may!
Now isn't the best time to buy a mac, the specs will be refreshed in the next
month or two. Check some of the mac fan sites for what to expect.

g

Tony Edwards
02-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I have a MacBook, the first Mac I've owned since my first-gen, 128K Mac. I love this thing! As far as I'm concerned the form factor is just perfect. I briefly owned a ThinkPad T60 widescreen and the form factor was one of the many things I didn't like - a 15.4" screen makes for a pretty ginormous laptop.

BoulderGeek
02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Wow, you have me beaten, there, Tony!

I thought I was the oldest-school Mac user that one was likely to find. The first Mac I used was a 512k (Fat Mac) around April, 1985. The first I owned was a Mac Plus, which I modded to use an internal fan and maxxed out with 4MB (!) of RAM.

I've used just about every model of Mac ever made, plus the ][, ][+, //e. I've had a Plus, SE, SE/30, IIci, IIfx, PowerBook 180, Quadra 800, Beige G3, PowerBook G4 550, and a Mac Mini G4 overclocked to 1.5GHz hanging off of a 42" LCD HDTV. And I have a 1989 NeXT Cube and NeXT laser printer. I was using OS X back when it was called NEXTSTEP 3.0, circa 1992.

Quality counts. Why work with junk?

72gmc
02-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I work on a MacBook Pro and love it. Right now I'm using it in dual display mode with e-mail on the laptop screen and my main window on the Cinema Display screen--the resolution is outstanding. The comments about the keyboard are accurate. My only (very minor) beef is that the company bought me a 17-inch model because they were purchasing one for my art director counterpart at the same time... it's a bit of overkill and it's almost too big for my courier bag. If I were purchasing my own I would buy the 15-inch model.

But I'm not complaining. Sweet, sweet MacBook.

Tony Edwards
02-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Wow, you have me beaten, there, Tony!

I thought I was the oldest-school Mac user that one was likely to find. The first Mac I used was a 512k (Fat Mac) around April, 1985. The first I owned was a Mac Plus, which I modded to use an internal fan and maxxed out with 4MB (!) of RAM.

I've used just about every model of Mac ever made, plus the ][, ][+, //e. I've had a Plus, SE, SE/30, IIci, IIfx, PowerBook 180, Quadra 800, Beige G3, PowerBook G4 550, and a Mac Mini G4 overclocked to 1.5GHz hanging off of a 42" LCD HDTV. And I have a 1989 NeXT Cube and NeXT laser printer. I was using OS X back when it was called NEXTSTEP 3.0, circa 1992.

Quality counts. Why work with junk?

I actually still have my ancient Mac, complete with the Apple carrying case. I got it secondhand as a high-school graduation present in 1988 and used it throughout college. I don't really know what to do with it - I have a certain emotional attachment to it but it's not really even interesting as a piece of industrial art, and I no longer even have MacWrite or any other software on floppy (important in that the computer doesn't have a hard drive). Maybe I'll make it into a fishbowl or something (though it would be a little dark for the poor fish). I've heard of people dropping a Mac Mini and LCD into them, but the screen is SO tiny that I can't imagine I'd use it.

orbea65
02-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks BoulderGeek,
Thank was the info I more or less needed to be sold on the Pro. I'll have to see if I can build something to get me till June, my current computer is a mandatory lease from my university so it disappears in late April.

Mac Book Pro.......that sounds expensive.
What other cycling goodies do you have for sale??? :D

crf
02-28-2007, 12:11 PM
I like the idea of a laptop, but for some reason my brief interludes with them make me appreciate the 'stepped' profile of a separate keyboard. The level laptop keyboards are very difficult to get used to. I take it that a 'stepped' keyboard can never be integrated into the form factor of a laptop. Perhaps if I spent a lot of time with a laptop, I would adapt...

orbea65
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I like the idea of a laptop, but for some reason my brief interludes with them make me appreciate the 'stepped' profile of a separate keyboard. The level laptop keyboards are very difficult to get used to. I take it that a 'stepped' keyboard can never be integrated into the form factor of a laptop. Perhaps if I spent a lot of time with a laptop, I would adapt...

lol. Some laptops come with little flipout legs, like you see on a normal desktop keyboard. Flip them out, and the bottom part of the laptop (ie. the keyboard) is angled towards you. If your laptop doesn't have legs like this, then glue a couple of rubber pads underneath it, etc.

bcm119
02-28-2007, 01:07 PM
If you're doing graphics work, get the Pro and run it with two displays. I have dual displays at work, and it makes it sooo much easier when you're running a bunch of programs and going back and forth. Two smaller displays are better than one larger one, esp. with graphics- you can have all your palletes on one side and work on the other. Also, if you're doing print-res graphic work, its nice to have more than 1 gig of ram.

Hysbrian
02-28-2007, 01:51 PM
If you're doing graphics work, get the Pro and run it with two displays. I have dual displays at work, and it makes it sooo much easier when you're running a bunch of programs and going back and forth. Two smaller displays are better than one larger one, esp. with graphics- you can have all your palletes on one side and work on the other. Also, if you're doing print-res graphic work, its nice to have more than 1 gig of ram.

My alt+tab keys are just about worn out on this pc, I would love to have 2 displays back again. That was great.

Hysbrian
02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Mac Book Pro.......that sounds expensive.
What other cycling goodies do you have for sale??? :D

IT IS!

Soon a Peg 8:30AM 55cm with American Classic 420s and a nice all silver campy centaur chorus mix.

Any takers???

crf
02-28-2007, 02:20 PM
lol. Some laptops come with little flipout legs, like you see on a normal desktop keyboard. Flip them out, and the bottom part of the laptop (ie. the keyboard) is angled towards you. If your laptop doesn't have legs like this, then glue a couple of rubber pads underneath it, etc.

I guess that would work...though the laptop's keyboard still isn't stepped.