PDA

View Full Version : So who will be the new Patron?

Dave B
02-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I am curious to see what you folks think about the patron of the peleton. Who would you say is the current patron?

I saw Levi try to slow down the ToC peleton when he had team mates crash and not many headed, so who commands the respect of the peleton now a days?

Who will set the tone in the Grand Tours?

Voight?

Basso?

or is there no more patron in the peleton.

Erik.Lazdins
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I don't see anyone Hinault-like out there riding now in the pro ranks. Maybe as I type this
1. A kid in East Rutherford NJ is killing it on his bike and he has incredible talent that we won't get to see because he will choose football as a sport.

2. A kid in Spain is riding his bike and is doing it because cycling is more inculcated into the daily fabric of peoples lives there.

I'll watch the races and hope cycling can begin to leave the riders alone until a fail-safe testing process is adopted. Baseball is no cleaner, yet they seem to be leaving the athletes alone. They aren't protesting World Series results.

What about the NFL - same thing there. Is there use of PED's there? You bet, yet they can get on with it, which stands in contrast to cycling.

Cycling may have had a good idea a few years ago to test riders, however it is evident:
1. cycling management bodies are cycling's worst enemy, the ultimate bad press machine.
2. Cycling doping controls draws more press now than the riders do - that is completely wrong.
3. I doubt that cycling can convince me that they can test for orange juice these days.

Hey sorry for the rant, Get me the TV coverage of the classics, and let the guys ride (in the rain preferably).

dauwhe
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Are we shifting away from an era where grand tour riders dominate? Boonen and Bettini seem to have very high profiles right now...

I'm also curious who will be the new member of the "axis of evil" here at the forum. Ullrich, Hincapie, and Tom Danielson have gotten so much grief--who will get Ullrich's spot? :D

Dave

myette10
02-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't see one in the peleton this year or any time in the near future. In 2004 I though Cunego would have developed into one by now, but he's faltered a bit. Basso's close, but perhaps tainted a bit to much and maybe not of the right mentality. It's got to be the right guy on the right team with a history of success.... I just don't see one.

Climb01742
02-27-2007, 12:38 PM
in the classics, maybe boonen? if not today, in a year or two? he seems to have the physical gifts. whether he has the attitude to be a patron...?

Erik.Lazdins
02-27-2007, 12:44 PM
in the classics, maybe boonen? if not today, in a year or two? he seems to have the physical gifts. whether he has the attitude to be a patron...?

Boonen has been the man in each classic race over the last two years. Despite the great year he had in 2005 he didn't go bust in 2006 so I don't think he has the flake-out factor.
I don't know if Boonen has the desire or body type to be a gc grand tour rider. There is nothing wrong with that as the races I most want to see are just around the corner....

that is until the CrossTV channel comes up!

saab2000
02-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Boonen, but not in the big stage races. But he could if he wanted to I think. But he would have to lose 10 KG, a lot on a guy with 4% body fat.

J.Greene
02-27-2007, 01:17 PM
If the being "the patron" is the same as being the BSD, I think Bettini first, Boonen second. They are the only guys who can point to the outfield fence and then hit it over atmo.

JG

BoulderGeek
02-27-2007, 02:18 PM
To me, this is the only Patron I see emerging in 2007.

Unless Cippo comes back.

pdxmech13
02-27-2007, 02:31 PM
not so much the patron but setting the bar

Ette

AgilisMerlin
02-27-2007, 05:29 PM
CUNEGO :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/larciano06/fs_003.jpg

AMERLIn

Elefantino
02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Cunego is 25. A baby in cycling years.

He is, and will be, way patronable, atmo.

AgilisMerlin
02-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Cunego is 25. A baby in cycling years.

He is, and will be, way patronable, atmo.

this :

http://www.carolineyang.com/cycling/2006/stage_17/images/12.jpg

plus this :

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Bulls_Balls/Your-Nutz/stainless_testis_019.jpg

equals da' king of Patronable yo............. imho

ps. don't forget the ball hitch yo :banana:

amerlin