PDA

View Full Version : greasing the campy hub ports

shaq-d
05-25-2004, 03:42 PM
well, i'm trying to grease the campy hubs, front and rear, for hte first time. don't really want to overhaul it yet. i tried with a syringe with a needle at the end. turned the cap-thing around to expose the grease port hole, then put the needle in, and began injecting. thing is, only a tiny bit of grease went in until it started to overflow. i'm talking, maybe, 3mm of grease through the needle.

so my question is, is that how it's supposed to be? or is there supposed to be a lot more grease able to get in there before overflow; if so, is there some grease gun i should get, one that can be placed over the hole and prevent overflow so that there's enough pressure for the grease to go in...?

thanks
sd

vaxn8r
05-26-2004, 01:15 AM
You need a grease injector with a tapered end so as you inject grease at pressure, you prevent leakage around the port. You actually have to inject a fair amount before you get old grease coming out the side of the hubs. Then, even after you clean up the mess you'll have a ride or two with all the excess grease comng out the hubs. Then it'll be perfect.

I think it's a good system. It does get dirty grease out until it runs clear/white without a complete hub rehaul. The penalty is a ride or two with cleanup of the hubs afterwards.

Needs Help
05-26-2004, 01:35 AM
Hi,

You need a grease injector like this:

http://www.performancebike.com/product_images/75/00_6864.jpg

The tube of grease screws right into the injector, and like vaxn8r said, the tip seals the port, and when you pump the handle, the injector forces clean grease into the hub which drives the dirty grease out. When the grease forced out of the hub turns clean, you know you are done.

shaq-d
05-26-2004, 12:33 PM
thanks guys, i've ordered the injector..

sd

pjm
05-26-2004, 01:16 PM
FWIW.........
http://www.campyonly.com/techtalk/techtalk8.html

vaxn8r
05-26-2004, 03:35 PM
I've heard that before but I'm not sure I believe it. It sounds fishy that Campy offers a "grease port" but then this guy says it's really an "oil port". Right! And we are also to believe that Campy designs an "oil port" which spews oil all over the wheel and frame every time you use it and then ride your bike. What a great innovation by Campy! Sorry, I don't buy it. Also, I've done the injection and my Campy hubs literally spin for minutes with just a flick of the thumbs.

va rider
05-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Campy currently recommends injecting grease of excellent quality on their 04 hubs. Here is the link, page 19.

http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/EURUS_PART2.pdf

shaq-d
05-26-2004, 05:53 PM
that should put the question to rest. it says the same thing for older campy hubs (their tech faq, hubs, mezza-ante or something i forget, also on website). i guess it's cause nobody listened when they said not to...lol. as it is, there are no stories about how somebody messed up his hub by doing the injection, and tons of stories about how great their hubs are running by doing so...

sd

bostondrunk
05-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Van,
What kind of grease did you use?

Andreu
05-27-2004, 08:50 AM
In all my life I have never greased a Campy hub (OK its only nearly 20 years worth of cycling). I assume that the LBS is not doing it either and I have never had a problem with Campy hubs (cue problems with my campy hubs). And I have been told by two people who work in bike shops (experts??) not to worry about greasing....should I start greasing?
A

vaxn8r
05-27-2004, 12:19 PM
I use the old Campy grease...the yellow stuff. I bought a bunch of it a long time ago and still have a supply.

The reason I use the hub port is because I ride so much in the rain. If I didn't I wouldn't worry about it so much. I got burned once on a set of hubs I apparently let go too long and they froze up. I went out for a ride and the wheels literally would not roll, tires skidding on the garage floor. I thought the brakes were stuck. I was never able to get them to run smoothly again despite all my rehabilitative efforts. Expensive lesson.

shaq-d
06-03-2004, 11:53 PM
probalby shouldn't revive this thread, but i finally got my grease gun and greased up the campy hubs. it was awesome watching the old grease ooooooze out of the sides; at one point, the grease was coming out in the same shape as the ball-bearings, i thought the ball bearings were actually coming out but it was just the grease which had retained the same shape, lol. anyway all good.. love the design.

:banana:

sd